Jillian Michaels

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by maressa, Jan 21, 2015.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Anyone work out to her videos? I hear she is a good fitness trainer. I may buy one of her exercise dvds and give it a try.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to YouTube. They're free. I do her videos all the time. Good workout.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you've got and Xbox One with Kinnect there are free workouts on Xbox fitness. Her's are certainly intense.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Jillian Michaels is a fantastic salesperson and you should totally buy her "How to trick people into thinking you know what you're doing" dvd, but you might as well get fitness advice from the store manager at your local Mcdonalds.

5. Giovanni

little unfair holy? have you seen the typical mcdonald's store manager lately? at the end of the day, her videos are all about pushups, planks, squats and crunches. they're 1/2 hour videos. sure, you can decry the marketing and all that. but for me, when i'm on the road and don't want to hit the hotel treadmill, they do the trick quite nicely to get some work in. i like the fact that the videos keep me going through a routine. sure, one could do better and come up with their own routine. but sometimes, i just want someone, like a video, to just kind of guide me through a workout.

6. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Ok I take it you're not a fan of hers.

7. holyheadjch

She's not a fitness instructor - she just plays one on TV.

In other news, Dick Van Dyke - not a crime solving doctor.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

lol the fitness industry is a joke anyway.

anyone who has studied a little public health would see no issue with someone getting people off their butts and moving more.

9. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Are you saying she lacks credentials?

10. Giovanni

by the way, i don't buy her videos. i just go to youtube. there are lots of 1/2 hour routines you can find.

here's one.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8Zdj0OPMI"]Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack Abs Workout- Level 1 - YouTube[/ame]

but there are a lot more on the befit channel.

11. holyheadjch

She lacks knowledge, technique and fitness. Just like your local fast food manager.

12. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

She looks very fit to me. Whatever she does its worked for her.

13. holyheadjch

Your local McDonalds store manager could tell you to do planks, squats and crunches. If he filmed a dvd, would you buy it? Of course not.

14. holyheadjch

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If he was good looking and shredded, maybe.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Indeed. He's a cockney chimney sweep.

17. Giovanni

i suppose it would depend on the mcdonald's store manager. lol and like i said, i don't buy her dvd's. my bjj fees are plenty at this point.

i don't see anything wrong with doing the routines, personally. most of us cannot afford to hire an actual trainer to correct our technique and forcefully run us through a 1/2 hour or hour routine. sure, at the end of the day to be fit we need to watch our diets and exercise regularly. but i think anything that can get someone off their **** and moving is worthwhile.

for me, her videos are nice because they move you through a 1/2 hour routine that i don't have to think about. just do. there are other videos with much better explanations of technique on youtube. for awhile i was doing hour-long yoga sessions via yogatoday.com too. that subscription was $9/month, and users have access to all the prerecorded yoga workouts. again, while not getting the in-person pose corrections pointers, the videos are nice to just kind of guide someone through a workout.

18. holyheadjch

You might not be able to afford an actual trainer, but you could watch videos of actual trainers rather than kettlebell barbie.

19. Giovanni

i read the article you posted. i'm in total agreement. as someone who works with kettle bells myself, if she's passing off some kind of kettle bell knowledge and not breaking down the technique, then for sure, there is a risk of injury. i have actually worked with a trainer friend on proper forms for swings and snatches.

can you point any videos out?

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

cant believe im getting into this for the 1000th time, but the fitness industry is a joke for qualifications.

even master ken can get the qualifications to become a trainer.

therefore the general public has no idea what to look out for when choosing what materials to invest in (time- and money-wise)

from a public health point of view, whatever gets people moving more is great, regardless of the source.

how about you recommend some sources? eh? go on? try to be nice and constructive :D
    you might even enjoy it!