Jewish, Christian and Muslims; real views on each other?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hiroji, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ok so through historical tales and the seeming bent media it seems that Christians hate the Jews, the Jews hate the Christians and the Muslims hate just about everyone.

What is the real picture? im asking this to actual practicing Jews, Christians and Muslims. What does the church/synagogue/mosque you attend teach? what is the general feeling in your community and family about the other religions? what are the real teachings that have been told to you? and do you agree?

Also what is your views on non believers in god? would you be wary of being friends with a non believer? do you feel resentment to them or do you have compassion for all?

look into your heart and tell your true feelings on this? do you feel that your religion and its path has led you to a inner peace to all people regardless?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm a non-believer but I take all people as I find them. Christians, Muslims, Jews, - all the same to me, just people.

3. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

I'm a practicing Muslim and I don't hate anybody. I have friends that are Christian, Jewish, Hindu, atheist, etc.

I don't have a problem with anyone.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I try this approach as well, But if someone brings up religion they can't expect me to nod politely. Sometimes this means they get hold of the wrong end of the stick and think I hate them or their faith or whatever. When this happens I laugh demoniacally and stir it some more. If they react that badly their faith is on a shaky peg allready.

5. Omicron

Omicron is around.

What he said.

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

As much as this will shock everyone that knows my views on religion i have christian muslim and jewish friends i just dont agree with belifes on religion that doesn't mean we cant all get along.

Oh my girlfriend is a muslim to.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm a practicing Muslim and I don't hate anybody. I have friends that are Christian, Jewish, Hindu, atheist, etc.

I don't have a problem with anyone.

But what do you think will happen to them after they die?

8. Hiroji

I read that the Quran says that people of the book, ie Christians, Jews and all who believe in god and live a moral life will be looked upon by Allah with compassion.

But not clear on what happens when people who dont believe die, but i do know the Quran says that a muslim should be kind to all people, both muslim and non muslim.

Also, a muslim man is ok to marry a christian or jewish woman...but not sure on if muslim women are ok to marry out of their religion? so make of that what you will.

9. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

I work with a muslim woman who married a non-muslim. She calls him her "infidel husband." It's pretty funny.

10. february

february Valued Member

I'm not an athiest - I'm a "believer" so to speak (though neither Muslim, Christian or Jewish). However my beliefs are very personal, I keep what I believe to myself and take people as they come. I don't see any need to voice my beliefs to anyone else. If I agree with someone I make it known, if I don't agree I do the same. It's when people use religion as an excuse be "right" that problems occur.

11. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

I'm not sure. That's up to God. Heck, even I don't know my own fate.

12. Hiroji

I like this approach and it is very similar to how im going right now.

13. Hiroji

That is funny! and it is a great shame more religious people cant make the same light of this kind of thing.

Its often not so much the differences, but how we react/relate to the differences that create the problems.

non of us can say what the truth is, only our truth, and our truth isnt always the same as others, but that dosent mean we should hate or bicker.

If God is out there then im sure he will know the good in anyone, but non of us can really claim to be higher in gods plans, even more so when non of us really know if god is even out there.

14. february

february Valued Member

Good man :cool:

15. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Well, since you asked, the Catholic Church teaches to treat people equally, regardless of their religion.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I have friends who practice Catholicism, Wicca, Hinduism, and various forms of Protestant Christianity, not to mention those who follow their own faith without being connected to a religion, friends who follow morals but are wary of organized religion, etc.

16. meghatronic

meghatronic Valued Member

I try and treat everyone the same, but I can't stand intolerance. At least one of those categories are vehemently intolerant to others, even their own womenfolk. That is deplorable and quite frankly backwards.

17. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

Some Christian faiths believe that the only way to heaven is through Jesus. I sure hope this isnt true. In Iraq, I met some really great Muslim people that I hope I see in heaven one day. With all things, we wont really know until the end. Until then, peace to all people.

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

to me it does'nt matter what religion a person worships/follows!!!!! all that matters is how they treat me

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The reality is that the media smears titles revolving around "Muslim extremists..." "Islamic Extremists..." etc. all over the press... however the fact is most of the general public are ignorant enough to start ommitting the "Extremist" part.

I am a practicing Christian and I agree with the notion that all people have opinions and I take people as they come. I gauge people by their actions and aspirations rather than their religious predispositions. As a christian I am bound but also have chosen through free will to keep loyal to my belief system hwoever at the same time I keep an open mind.

What does my church teach? Christianity in pure form. Sounds like a bold claim however every single minister in the church, ESPECIALLY the main Minister runs on the policy "If you think what I have said is wrong, please tell me". You can freely after any sermon challenge what they have said and they will answer it appropriately. Every single one of them has read literally hundreds of books about bible interpretation, application, applicability etc. I doubt there are many questions they couldn't answer. There is an open policy whereby you can ask them questions and they will answer them to the best of their ability.
    My church is charismatic - spiritual gifts and a triune god are among the teachings, we do the whole singing dancing bit but also the odd hymm to keep things varied. We run Alpha courses and now a full time office and counselling centre for the local community.

Views on non believers in God? Pity I suppose, I feel sorry that they can't experience what I do. The majority of my peer group are non believers as well - I don't feel threatened by them, but I make no illusions about my being a christian and my morals around them. The only resentment I feel is aimed generally at stupid people - of which there is an ever increasing supply to give me amusement.
    Most hilarious remark I have heard to date "You know I have read the bible and Jesus really has a God Complex"

Yeh, thought out that one.

As for muslims - I know people who are nervous and scared of walking past a mosque near me. I can't see why. Most muslims, Sikhs and all that like are the most considerate people ever!! They don't judge you why judge them?

In terms of beliefs I don't know enough about the others to comment but I can say in honesty I think Christianity is among the better systems in terms of quality and quantity. Yes there are three chapters of law, but most of it is there for the purposes of keeping order. Confucius - the head of the Confucian philosophy/belief system said that the best way to run a society is not one where people are punished because of crimes. They will just take the punishment or not even know what they were punished for. He said the best way is to have people who know and appreciate their crime and as a result punish themselves because of their shame.

As for everyone going to Hell - I will be honest that I don't think this is unreasonable. If you go through your life sinning freely, causing mayhem, being a typical low class human, do you think at the end of the day If you were God you would show mercy to someone who had never once acknowledged you, abused you, been scathing about you and moreso done hundreds of horrible things in your sight? I wouldn't.
    The path to salvation is made very clear in the bible but people get caught up in the technicalities.

Among the key reasons I have heard people cite for why they aren't religious or christian is that "I'm happy enough as is". Fact is they are the most miserable people I've ever met... I'd argue they don't know true happiness.

Another is taht "Oh there are all these rules it must be boring". The rules are there for you to have a better life. The book of John says "I have come that you may have life and have it to the full".

Do you think your life would be any happier if you could steal and be stolen from, or beat your wife legitimately or murder or sleep around. Do you think ANYTHING good comes from drinking excessively? Destroy your liver, hangovers, can't remember the night before, maybe impregnated someone maybe not...? I don't, to be honest. I have never understood the necessity for alcohol some people display.

All in all do I think my faith has brought me peace and all this. Yes. I don't see God as my comfort blanket I see him as my way, my path. There are numerous amazing things that have happened to me that in all honesty could Not have been coincidence.

I probably missed something out but let's stick with that.

20. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

THE Christian belief, as written according to the bible, is that the only way to heaven is through Jesus.

Some Christian faiths is an incorrect term - there is only One Christian faith but many interpretations of it.