jeet kune do tree

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LeeGreg89, Feb 6, 2005.

1. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

James was 3rd rank before Dan "admittedly" trained under Bruce.

Attached Files:

2. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

If this article is original, as soon I verify it, I will post the referance,then this is what Richard Bustillo had to say about the 3 differant certificates of Bruce Lees martial art.

Is there a difference between the three arts that Bruce Lee gave rank in and if so, please describe them.
    I'm familiar with only one art and rank, which is Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.

Be that as it may, Bruce gave out three certificates in his lifetime. They were: Jun Fan Gung Fu, Tao Of Chinese Gung Fu and Jeet Kune Do. Which certificate did you receive?I received the first rank certificate of the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute, membership #203, on 9/23/67.

Why do you feel he only gave out two Jeet Kune Do certificates in his lifetime (to Ted Wong and Dan Inosanto)?
    I had no idea that Bruce even gave out 2 JKD certificates in his lifetime.

3. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

And this is what Tim Tacket posted on the same subject.

http://pauljbax.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6195&whichpage=2
    In the Chinatown school Bruce Lee taught what he called Jeet Kune Do. This was at the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute. We have 6 original certificates on my garage wall. 3 of Bob Bremer's. 1 of his brother, Fred. 1 for his son, Bill. And Jim Sewell's. The bottom of one of Bpb's says the following:
    "This is to certify that Bob Bremer is a member in good standing and having fulfilled the necessary requirements, is hereby promoted to senior 2 rank of the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute."
    What does "necessary requirements" mean? If it means learning what was taught, then, in a way, isn't it a ranking in Jeet Kune Do as what they were doing was not called Jun Fan Gung Fu, but rather JKD?

and

To answer watchdog, the Chinatown certificates aren't in any art. They have Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute on the top, because that was the name of the Chinatown school. The school taught what Bruce called Jeet Kune Do, so it's my guess that's what the certificates were about. Dan has a level 3 and Bob has a senior 2nd. I know that it used to mean that Dan had 3 years of training and Bob had completed 2 and 1/2 years. Dan gave me a senior 1st after 1 and 1/2 years in the backyard where what we studied was called JKD. We didn't call until Jun Fan until the start of the Kali academy and the summer camps started.

Just some fuel for the fire.

4. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

http://www.imbacademy.com/news-interviewRB102203.html
    http://www.imbacademy.com/news-interviewRBPB102203.html
    http://www.imbacademy.com/news-interview-32003.html

:D

5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

"AT The End Of The Day" who cares about cert. or who has one......I have alot of cert.....that doesn't make me good at what I do......Its what I have learned from all the infomation from researching.....reading.....training......sparring......learning from a more knowledge-able teacher and from life......then to put "IT" all together.....to abide it......then to discard it....."to make me feel relaxed in being me"......I think that all of the people that trained with BL have taking what they have learned to another level....I'm sure......We all are going to think our teachers method is the one to train in....as long as we are pointing the way and helping people to self-discovery......who care! Just my opinion

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  6. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

yeah i agree think u have hit the nail on the head there
    good post mate

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Look at that some OJKD, JKDC, Jun Fan etc etc can actually agree and get on, it' does not matter what school of thought you come from at the end of the day as long as you find common ground to agree on, once you do that, then people will have nothing to dig little holes in you with, after all is it not supposed to be your own personal interpritation on the whole matter? I thought it was.

And a peice of paper does not make the warrior, the warrior just happens to be their regardless of paper tigers.

Or to put it simply, if it works use it, if it don't then don't, in the real world the certificate/ rank or what ever ain't gonna save your ass.

Best regards

Pat

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Well said Pat,

John

9. tel

yep totally agree. having shots at people will get u nowhere

10. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Agreed. Try telling that to Mrs. Inosanto #2!

11. tel

hey she was only defending her husband with all the people having shots at him.is there a need for comments like that?
    hey pat guess looking at common ground is not what everyone is trying to do

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  12. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Nobody knows the whole truth except Bruce who is long been dead. She flat out stated that her husban was the only legitimate JKD instructor except for those under Dan. She's attacked many instructors. Do you want those links too? :D

I've given some proof that Bruces students were not aware of a martial art called Jun Fan Gung Fu. They all were taught Jeet Kune Do. Before Bruce named his system, apparrently it was un-named and someone after Bruce died gave it the name Jun Fan Gung Fu. His students said that was the name of the school, not the art.

13. tel

well apart from taky kimura and james lee.
    she also says that wong etc are legit but are under dan not BL
    ,1st generation students state that when BL first started teaching with taky kimura he refered this as jun fan to define it from wing chun.,from oakland to LA it was called jkd.
    but yeah your right when u say the school was callled the jun fan in.
    on trying to finfd common ground ,must ay that totally agree with some of your prvious posts.

14. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

We've all heard all the stories. Richard clearly states that Dan was the lead instructor but they all learned JKD. 1 art not 3 arts. Others have said the same.

Dan also certified Jerry Poteet from wjat I've heard.

I think that I've presented a pretty strong case about the fact that ALL OBLS are equals and that they ALL learned the same art, Jeet Kune Do. The question left is why were Dans and Teds stating JKD.

I know it's easy to see things one way but when a new door opens I have to look in.

15. tel

agree that all 1st generation instructors are good,tho some are better than others,but that just life.
    but the art that BL taught taky was completely different to art that he was teaching in oakland and LA,also in jkd conversations book,taky and ted wong both said that he called his art jun fan when he first come over to seperate it from wing chun

16. Len

Len Valued Member

Oh ok. Go ahead and argue with the actual certification that I have seen with my own eyes on the video anyone can buy. There's 5 tapes in the series....Dan Inosanto collection....volumes 1 through 3 is on JKD and the 4 and 5 is Fillipino MA. It's on one of the first three tapes. There is a video cam that pans over the actual certification showing Dan's rank as third in JKD. He's also ranked in Jun Fan Gung Fu and something else along with it. Go buy the tapes and argue with Dan. You can say all you want about what anyone said. I actually "SAW IT". And you can too. Buy the tapes.

17. Len

Len Valued Member

True in most regards, but if you wanted to go open up your own school, a certificate is a smart idea. Not having a certificate is not a smart idea. Anyone with half a brain asks for proof of authenticity and lineage if you want to go to a school and get instruction from someone with genuinity. Otherwise what's to stop a kid that just got done watching Enter the Dragon to go out and buy a bunch of JKD books and tapes, buy a weight bench, mook jong, and some boxing bags, trains real hard and then opens up his school and says "certificates in the real world won't save your ass. Hard training does."

18. tel

yeah got the tapes and agree with u

19. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

You are so gullable. Dan is 1 OBLS out of many. The others have a lot to say too. Such as they ALL were taught JKD, not Jun Fan Gung Fu.

http://www.imbacademy.com/news-interviewRBPB102203.html
    Did you ever receive rank directly from Bruce Lee?
    I received a first rank certificate, #203, from Bruce Lee in September 1967. My Bruce Lee rank has grown above and beyond my potential and expectations. This certificate opened doors and opportunities I never expected I would be involved in for the rest of my life.

Is there a difference between the three arts that Bruce Lee gave rank in and if so, please describe them.
    I'm familiar with only one art and rank, which is Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.

Be that as it may, Bruce gave out three certificates in his lifetime. They were: Jun Fan Gung Fu, Tao Of Chinese Gung Fu and Jeet Kune Do. Which certificate did you receive?
    I received the first rank certificate of the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute, membership #203, on 9/23/67.

Attached Files:

20. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

And if you really need to separate "that which is truly one."

You can have the concept and I'll take the martial art. :D