jeet kune do tree

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LeeGreg89, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Well please watch what you say.......people mite take it as the truth :bang: ...I get them at my school all the time.....only the one's looking for someone to point the way to the truth...do I let say to train with me....but i'm not the giver of the truth.....and the one's that come to show me up.....are sent home.....sord of speck.....if you know what I me.......beside most never make it through my doors.....Because I don't need students.......I only what to teach the one's looking for themself in combat and everyday living.....and the one's that have heart and what to make a difference in the world we live in!!!

Take It Easy, :D
    John

2. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

Is there an on-line version of that article? I would love to read it.

Edit: Never mind. I found it on the website in your sig.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  3. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I don't think your people were involved and if it means anything some people have compared Sigung to your Sifu. But they are differant have their own trees now. Sifu used to call his system James Lee Gung Fu when I first met him. So you can imagine that it does reflect James Lees teachings.

Hopefully we'll meet up at the beach camp!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  4. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

A question for AKJA or any OJKD guy not from Inosanto's lineage. Did James Lee or Taky Kimura use the words Jeet Kune Do to describe their art? I have a feeling that Bruce Lee renamed what he was doing (Jun Fan Gung Fu) to JKD because he no longer felt that he needed his system to be restricted to the art of chinese Gung Fu. So they may not be two seperate arts but renamed by Bruce Lee to give the name of the art a more descriptive term. Then later he thought that there should be no style at all but a process which people can liberate themselves from styles. So JKD then became, like Dan sometimes claims, a concept or a means in which one liberates oneself from a stylised christalized art.

5. HKD

HKD New Member

check out jerry beasleys site, he gives a very weak answer to
    paula inosantos letter. click the jkd boxing link at the bottom of the page

aikia.net

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  6. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

just visted the linl to jerry beasley.
    looked at his certificates,they are SEMINAR certificates i have simliar ones.
    they do u mention instructor on them.if he is teaching on these then he is a FAKE

7. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

JKD is once again destroying itself, all these certificates flying about do they really mean anything at all at the end of the day ? does any one really care, I for one are absolutely sick and tired of all the bickering and back biting going on amongst "the elite" of the JKD world. If I had the exclusive rights or copyright to the JKD name I would withdraw it from use worlwide immediately and let every one form there own systems. The martial arts world is laughing at all the pettiness..

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

From all the research that I have done over my 30 plus years of R & D of Bruce Lee.....only in the LA Kwoon and the guys that trained at Bruce Lee house used the term Jeet Kune Do......But Bruce Lee did update them with some of the new material when he could.....when he seen the.....which wasn't alot because he was so busy....James Lee was update the most though....take it with a grate a salt.....from my research Taky Kimura group (son)are training with Dan Inosanto to get more Jeet Kune Do knowledge. If you go to their site you will now see that they have Jeet Kune Do on the site....I'm not saying this is wrong or right.....we are grow men right......but these are facts!

Take It Easy,
    John

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Tel,
    I agree I have about 15 teen of those kind and all of them are in a box in my basement......The only one's I have in veiw are the one's my Sifu give me that I 've been Personally Trained as an Instructor by Sifu Jerry Poteet in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do and is authorized to teach students.

Old Timer,
    Hey the truth is coming out fine-ly after all these years and the people thats been putting smoke up the rear nolong hold claim to the truth of Jeet Kune Do.....because now you have a more choices.

Take It Easy,
    John :D

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Applause*

I don't normally openly advertise myself as a JKD guy these days. The above sums up why very nicely.

11. tel

alot of bob breen students have got own names for their stuff like terry barnett intergrated arts for example keysi fighting method another

12. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Applause to those guys for been a little bit different, inventive and not capitalising on "a name", I think that BL would approve of that .

13. tel

we are lucky cos there are some good quality jkd people in the uk

14. Len

Len Valued Member

Ok time for this thread to die. It's going no where cause people don't want to respect Bruce's words. He said don't fuss over JKD cause it's just a name. And he also told Dan Inosanto that he was left in charge. If he thought the others were good enough to teach his material he would have given them all permission to teach. What part of that don't certain people understand? Would anyone of you like it if you started something, had 20 student, and then told 3 of them they were the ones that should sub and no one else in case you can't make it to class. Then you walk in one day and see someone other than the 3 you gave permission to teach teaching the class? There is no other way of looking at it. There should be no arguments. These are facts and not opinions. I don't care what certain people feel JKD is or isn't. If it's a system or not. It belongs to Bruce Lee and it's his art. His words and actions should be respected. Wouldn't you all want yours to be if you were the one that started JKD? Kill this freakin thread already.

15. HKD

HKD New Member

no, no
    Bruce Lee didn't leave anyone in charge. in fact he told all his instructors to stop teaching jkd, to only work with current students and to not take any new ones

16. tel

not quite true,did allow inosanto and kimura to teach selected few in thier backyards.reason inosanto started to teach jkd concepts and jun fan was cos of loads of phony schools.he wanted people to understand true jkd

17. frankiefuller

frankiefuller New Member

Beasley is more of a JKD writer/promoter, but also has some teaching authorization

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tel
    just visted the linl to jerry beasley.
    looked at his certificates,they are SEMINAR certificates i have simliar ones.
    they do u mention instructor on them.if he is teaching on these then he is a FAKE

Beasley has some authorization (besides the certificates) to teach what he knows about Jun Fan and JKD-related concepts under Joe Lewis. He said on another website that he had a signed letter dating from 1993 that Joe Lewis allows him to teach the aspects of what Joe was taught by Bruce Lee. However, Beasley has never claimed to teach actual JKD, just using some of the concepts and philosophy of JKD to enhance what he already knows. In fact, he was asked to help promote and write about JKD initially very early on, and this got him interested in the art itself.

Posts from Beasley on another website regarding certification, promotion, etc. about JKD:

(from Paul B
    ax forum)

http://pauljbax.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4342&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=Lewis,1993

"Leigh,I am certified to teach Jeet Kune Do under Joe Lewis (the only world Champion ever trained by Bruce Lee). My certification is dated Janurary 28,1993 (predating the Paula letter). While I trained at Dan's seminars/camps It was understood that I was a Lewis sparring partner and not simply there for an apprentice concepts instructor certification. I worked with Dan from 1983-1988. After 1983 I do not remember Dan teaching JKD. He taught kali/silat in his seminars. He told me he had promised Bruce that he would not teach Jeet Kune Do. Bruce asked all of his students to not teach JKD. I choose to pursue my certification with Joe Lewis."

Another quote in different discussion on same website regarding his training history and promotion of JKD:

http://pauljbax.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4454&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=Joe,Lewis,letter

"Although I have taught martial arts since 1969 I am proabably best known nationally as a martial arts writer and promoter. Writers typically have to pitch an idea to an editor. On occassion the editor contacts the writer for an assignment. For example Black Belt contacted me to write the important 30th anniversary Bruce Lee cover story in 2003.
    In fact it was an editor that in 1982 assigned me to write the original story on Larry Hartsell's school in Charlotte, NC. They supplied the contact so I attended. There I met Dan and other instructors. I never paid for JKD seminars. I was always an invited guest. Someone would train with me or recognize me from the magazines then invite me to the next seminar in Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. I was typically invited to the after seminar dinners with Dan ,other instructors and the promoter. Once in the JKD circle I promoted seminars for others and wrote articles that promoted instructors. I promoted the highly succesful "Original JKD Camps" with Ted Wong, Joe Lewis etc. At no point did I decide I wanted to be a JKD instructor. I have never owned a JKD school. My JKD Experience book is still in print after all these years and I hear that my 1998 JKD video series for panther continues to rank in the top ten sales for JKD videos. You can say that I teach a lot of people I never meet.
    Since 1969 I have continued to teach tae kwon do, karate, jui jitsu ( my 9th dan was awarded to me and signed by Grandmaster Michael DePasquale Sr. and Professor Wally Jay) and kickboxing (6th,7th and 8th dans awarded by Joe Lewis). Joe Lewis gave me a letter of certification to teach JKD in 1993 just in case I decided to open a JKD school. I have considered my speality in JKD as the jun fan kickboxing method. Joe Lewis created American Kickboxing in Janurary 1970 using the same system. He has refined it over the years. I developed "trapboxing" as an extension of my own JKD kickboxing training."

Anyway, check out the interview on Beasley and JKD on Beasley's website . http://www.aikia.net/aikia/beasley/jbinterview.html

18. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Both Sigung and Sifu have said that James called their Gung Fu Jeet Kune Do after Bruce told them their art was now called Jeet Kune Do. Not exact quote but something to that effect. The diffferant arts comes from the concept camp I'm sure. It was one art that continually evolved.

It's my own opinion, which we are all entitled to. I beleive that the JKD that comes from LA is Dans JKD and not Bruces. He did what Bruce wanted him to do, discover his own JKD.

19. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

WRONG!
    I don't know your JKD experience and don't need to. ALL those original students who still teach have experience that you will NEVER have. Thats a fact. My Sifu was there in the '60's. Young but thats when he got started. His door is open if you want to come and shut him down. :D

20. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

You can thank Dr.Beasley for original JKD

I have been a martial arts student under Dr.Jerry Beasley for a number of years. I asked him not to join these forums since there is so much misinformation passed around. For the record Dr.Beasley trained at seminars with Dan Inosanto from 1983-1988. He promoted seminars with Larry Hartsell and other members of the Charlotte NC JKD club during those same years.He also trained with Joe Lewis from 1981 and learned more about actual contact fighting like Bruce Lee demonstrated. Paula and Dan Inosanto read and endorsed his book "The Jeet Kune Do Experience" when it came out in 1988. This was the first ever to introduce the Inosanto jkd concept in book form. In his column for Karate International magazine Dr. Beasley promoted the career of JKD people like Inosanto,Hartsell, Tacket, Wong, Poteet, Lee. He also wrote about Davis, Dill,Vunak, and many more. In about 1989 Dr.Beasley introduced the term "Original"JKD. This is when Paula Inosanto decided that Dr.Beasley was a threat to the concepts group. Dr.Beasley then promoted the first Original JKD camp in 1993 with Kimura/Wong/Williams as backers/instructors. Paula Inosanto's letter was sent to Inside Kung Fu magazine in 1993 and was trashed. The Inosantos had to hand out the letter at their seminars in an attempt to stop the interest in Original JKD. In spite of the fact that Paula called Dr.Beasley a fake so no one would come to his camp it had over 100 participants making it the largest ever JKD camp for 1993! After Dr.Beasley had so much success as a promoter of original JKD others began taking sides to promote the original art instead of Dan Inosanto's concepts method. Dr.Beasley was nutreal and continued to write about and promote both sides.
    Dr.Beasley posted copies of his 1983/88 certificate from Dan Inosanto( www.aikia.net) only to prove that Paula lied when she said that he only took notes and did not train. One of the certificates from Mr.Inosanto states 54 hours in kali and jeet kune do. The Inosanto's also claimed that they only wrote certificates for JKD concepts...another lie. She said that to mislead the public just like she tried to imply that Mr.Jerry Poteet was not a student of Bruce Lee. She was afraid to say the same about Joe Lewis. You can find Mr.Joe Lewis' book about BL and JKD in bookstores now.
    I have read on other sites where Dr.Beasley states that he did not teach an art or style and call it JKD. In seminars at Karate College he sometimes mentions JKD as a philosophy or shows a JKD type method. Dr.Beasley is an 8th Dan under Joe Lewis' kickboxing style and views JKD as one part of his overall martial arts matrix.
    Historically you will find that the JKD taught before 1973 is different from the JKD concept taught by Mr.Inosanto after Bruce Le died. The jkd concept is still great stuff. This is just a fact of life. Why fuss over it?