Jeet Kune Do techniques

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Bruce Lee, Feb 26, 2003.

?

Who's Better?

Poll closed Dec 23, 2003.
  1. Bruce Lee

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Jackie Chan

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Jet Lee

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Bruce li

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Me

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. My Mother

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Sure O.K. Thanks Guys/Girls

2. ff_mattjones

ff_mattjones New Member

the truth

I have studied JKD for quite some time now and in my opinion I have found that there are no real "specific" techniques for it.
    Bruce's techniques came mainly from his original style of gung fu-kung fu. and plus the many other stlyes he studies so basicly
    the way I perceive JKD is apply JKD's "methods" to your own style
    ,mine being tae kwon do.but don't stop with any style
    forget the style make the martial arts in a whole become part of you... I go to a Tae kwon do school every day for training but I do not practice just their methods that limits I extend my lessons far beyond those of a traditional martial artist!!!!

-matt

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

I now dont pay attention to the type of styles I just go to the nearest center of martial arts and just practice.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

:D Sounds like a plan :D

5. Seperoth3333

Seperoth3333 New Member

Ok! Havent you people ever saw the movie "Dragon". Bruce Lee died. On that move the girls says every want to know how he died but I rather prefer how he lived. He started his on jkd over here andd hade to fight for his right to do so. Well I know it wasnt a curse. It was some thing else. I dont know what bout they said it was a mysterus coma he whent into.

6. HKD

HKD New Member

he had a reaction to some med.'s he got from a friend and died a few days later. he had been sick for a while B 4 that and the med. brought him to the end.

7. tradwarrior

tradwarrior New Member

JeetKuneDo ? hmm

Jeet Kune Do is the art of the intercepting fist.. (The theories / concepts is based on intercepting the opponent..) - JeetKuneDo is a great martial art , but it was never completed since it's master Bruce Lee (the creator of the art) died.. Since the death of Bruce Lee (two opposite sides have been made) The Jeet Kune Do Concepts side (which they re based on the concepts and ideas of bruce lee , and they keep growing using their mind/training/tehniques based on the theories/ideas of Bruce Lee). The other side with [Jun Fan GungFu - Jeet Kune Do] teaching the "style?! hmm..no art? no - dunno how to call it!" like it has been taught by Bruce Lee at the point before his death.. Jeet Kune Do is a mix of many martial arts based on wing chun gungfu covering each art the weakness of the other. And about the poll (You can't say one fighter is better than another because they have never faught , and one can be better than an other thru hard training) - But i believe Bruce Lee was a smart guy with bright ideas and HUGE knowledge...and maybe the best?! we can't be sure! Enjoy your life , keep walking!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2003
  8. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Hey YODA it isn't a plan. Just telling you that.

9. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Just wondering, and I hope it is'nt a problem posting it here. It seems to fit into the current discussion. (Life of Bruce Lee)

Has anyone read the biography "Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit" By Bruce Thomas (I think that the author)??

If anyone has, I would just like to know what you thought about it compared to other Bruce Lee biographies you may have read.

As for me, I have'nt read any others. But I found It to be a good read, and I believe it's going to be the closest thing to the truth about his life without bias.

Tah

10. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

The Art of Expressing the Human Body

The Art of Expressing The Human Body is what me and my friends beleive bruce was trying to create before his death.

About the only difference between The Art of Expressing the Human Body and Jeet Kune Do is Jeet Kune Do is setup to be a style. The Art of Expressing the Human Body isn't a style. Styles limit someone....a person in a style is trained to do certain things at certain times, when they get in a situation they haven't trained for or weren't expecting basically they get ****ed in the asswhole cause they rely on the same techniques they can't adapt as well.
    There trained a certain way and thats that. Well in a fight people are always trying to predict there opponents, "You must first learn to predict your opponent before you can truly understand our style, blah blah blah." A fight is unpredictable so how can you predict what is unpredictable, you must train yourself to react and adapt to the situation. You need to train yourself to the point where you can throw a punch without concentrating on it, you must never focus, just let your mind think what it want's to think. As soon as your focusing on someones punch, "I'm going to block there straight punch." You are committed to blocking it, if the straight punch was a faint and right behind it he threw a left cross...Bang your focused on the straight your not going to see the left cross.

Learning to Express yourself: If you wan't to hit someone in the nose you hit them in the nose you express yourself, you don't take the time to **** back your fist you throw the punch from where your fist is. If my fist was at my waist I would throw the punch from there therefore expressing myself. If I bring my fist up then throw the punch I am no longer expressing myself because I got off track I did something before I hit you in the nose.

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I'm not sure that Bruce realised his death was around the corner.

Please explain how you feel JKD was 'setup' to be a style.

Can you give any example(s) where this has happened?

12. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

Jeet Kune Do is "The way of the intercepting fist.' Thats its rough translation. I mean bruce does say, "Have no way as way, and no limitation as limitation." those two statements are somewhat contradictoring aren't they? What I think he was trying to do with jeet kune do was create the perfect style which he later realized no style can be perfect.

An example of how styles are limiting. I'll take a basic glance at this karate school in town. They throw there punches from the hips. They have to be in the exact same stance. There machines, they have to do things a certain way. I sparred one of them every time he threw a punch it came from almost the EXACT same spot. Because he trained you throw it, "like this."

13. YODA

So - let's say you have a total novice. How do YOU teach him to punch without teaching him to punch "like this?"

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Do they really while sparring? :confused:

If I did that I would have a black eye by mow ;)

|Cain|

15. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

You teach them to get power (i prefer to drive my hip into it) what you don't teach them is to throw punches only from certain positions, you need to be able to throw them from any feasable position. When I train on the heavy bag I try not to throw my punches in the same locations and positions. I should be able to throw a punch if my fist was laying on my leg without raising my hand and throwing the punch from a certain spot, it should flow from where it is. The key is to not get into patterns or set positions.

Yes they really throw there punchis from the hips there elbows have to be touching there sides and there fists pointed towards the opponent, there stance has the left foot and lead foot pointing towards the opponent with the leed knee raised up. Its blocky robotic and crappy as hell. They have to think about there stance and making sure there throwing there punches from the right spot I don't even know how they can spare. No wonder it takes someone at that school 5 years to get even decent.

16. SilentSword

SilentSword New Member

Just to let you all know....
    I was watching a documentary on Bruce Lee's career and it said that he died from an allergic reaction to hashish that made his brain swell. So that clears up everything about it being a great mystery of how he died. About the subject of whether he died from an assassination or just from "misadventure", that is still unknown and can never be proven either way. My personal theory is that it was an assassination, because on the documentary Bruce's personal doctor had said that he had come in for the same reason that had killed him once before. Knowing that, I'd assume that he'd never smoke hashish again. They also, strangely, found 1 milligram of hashish in his stomach as well. That personally confused me, but it also made me question whether he was drunk when he smoked it. They had said that he was having an affair with another woman and was with her at the time of him smoking the hashish. This could have either been a misadventure, or a planned assassination preformed by his mistress, but we'll never know. So, choose what you'd like to believe, but the fact is that he died from the hashish.

17. YODA

Well that's that then- it was on TV so it MUST be true!

Bwaaahahahahaaaaaa........

18. morphus

morphus Doobrey

"assassination"

Bol**cks!:rolleyes:

19. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yeah, I think that is the same biography I bought the other day it has Dan Inosanto on it? I doubt it was an assasination because Bruce complained about headaches over 24 hours prior to his death so somebody would have had to somehow get him to ingest the hashish. In my opinion he was not assasinated, if somebody force fed him some hashish he probably would have known about it. I think he ingested it on his own free will and it killed him.:rolleyes:.......That's just my opinion of course.

20. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Gordon Bennet :rolleyes:

The web is plastered with all this stuff, do a search.

The accepted theory is that Bruce took a strong reaction to an Analgesic he was offered, his brain swelled and he died.

It is tragic, but I believe Bruce would far rather that people aspiring to be Martial Artists focused their attention on training and learning rather than gossiping and speculation.

Hash was in the stomach, because he ate it in Hash cakes. I don't think less of Bruce for this, as pretty much everyone used in the 60's and 70's. I have never heard of anyone dying from Hash.