Jeet Kune Do or decent alternative martial art in Chelsea are of London?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by benuds, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Why you haven't said anything relevant other than you don't think you up to winning any of those titles you like. But hey your the expert. You figure it out

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Out of interest MB, you did say once you had trained with some JKD guys. Which branch of the tree was it? (eg. Inosanto lineage, Wong Lineage, Poteet lineage etc)

Possibly your views on JKD may stem entirely from that experience

3. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

MB You also said you know a few in Germany. Care to name them or at least their clubs?

4. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Andi Pfingstl and Frank Burczynski are the two who's name I can remember. why?

5. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Just curious! I don't know them but it seems like they are more PFS, CSW oriented rather than JunFan JKD.

6. Master Betty

Yeah they are. Andi is more into the Kali side of things and really digs Inosanto. Frank is more into the grappling side of things and, to be fair, really does know his grappling. Not sure what belt he is in BJJ but I know he's capable of rolling with high belts.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You are on the same lineage as me with Andi, although my emphasis is more on empty hands work

I don't know personally him though so cannot comment on his skills or otherwise, but PFS is the approach I have settled on after 23+ years in the game and I endorse it heartily.

8. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

If you head out to germany again see if you can check out a Thomas Marx and let me know what you think. He is one of Carruther's senior students and is supposed to be very good at intercepting at long range. He teaches too.

9. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Hi I am new here...anybody want a training partner around north london?
    I train myself 5-6 days a week in two hours ....mostly all JKD moves from videos..
    I looking for someone ho wanna train trapping and do some technics for fun.
    I am not really looking for a teacher rather just training partner but if there any good offer I ll consider.
    only old school JKD,Vunak,Tackett line...
    thanks

10. Master Betty

I'll still be living in germany until the end of june as far as I'm aware. Where abouts does he ply his trade?

11. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I don't know but I can put you in touch with some one who can find out. message me your email address if you wish. There are a few in germany but not all actually lead a group. I'd be interested to know of their general quality and it might be a good experience for you.

12. Master Betty

I know that the guy frank I've met and trained with is apparently top dog in german JKD. I can find out any info I really want from him but if it's for something I'm going to have to go out of my way for, I'll only really do it for something I KNOW I'll gain from. And judging from what I've seen over here and back in britain so far, I'm not gonna gain anything from a JKD place that I can't learn better elsewhere.

13. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Then why did you ask me?
    and top dog in JKD? by whose standards?

I think you'll be in for a shock if you step into 36 London Road Glasgow.

14. Master Betty

Doubt it since I've trained with and fought guys from the Griphouse in both MMA and muay thai and nobody's ever heard of him. If he was capable of producing fighters that'd push me, he would and he'd make money putting them in for fights.

Unless he has some gandhi like nature and aversion to making money because of some delicate religious belief then human nature would win out.

15. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I can list and have heard of many college basketball players in chicago who made the NBA. that said I am well aware that some of the best basketball players Chicago never even stayed in school let alone get drafted in the NBA.

Your immature mentality about what you know and who you've heard of only has left you in the little box your trapped in.

I would never have heard of some of the best martial arts instructors I've met if it wasn't through introduction.

Now Mr proove it! you like to proove things? you keep talking about proof??
    Then rather than doubting things based on your very highly educated Guess work. Give it the benefit of the doubt and roll into Tommys Gym for few sessions. Other wise stop asking me to prove anything to you when you don't even wish to empty your cup! and check things out for yourself. You certainly sound like you have something to prove more than anyone else here.
    Then prove it to yourself at least.

16. Master Betty

Why should I have to set about actively trying to prove myself wrong? That's not how it works, besides I'm in germany. Going to this idiots gym will cost ME time and money as well as effort and the fact I won't be able to do REAL training while I'm at his.

So again. Why should I?

17. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Maybe because for once you'll get a taste of REAL JKD training. But seeing your attitude..calling an accomplished guy you don't even know an Idiot. Forget it! your not even worth his time.

18. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I remember reading on here a very, very, very long time ago that Tommy Carruthers is actually really choosey about who he teaches and only teaches people who he deems to be truely interested in JKD. Is that true?

19. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

He gives enough time about a month or so for people to see if its the thing for them. But he takes it step further now and if he sees that after so many lessons Bruces Later stuff is too difficult for your natural abilities to be able to realistically get anywhere with or you have too much commitments to dedicate to it the way you should, you will be given the chance to learn the NCGF stuff more suited to the average person. Real Good stuff too. Most of his sessions have serious pressure testing. He only shares some stuff with his top basement students ofcourse as it is hard to trust everyone with it. This ofcourse applies to his immediate groups not long distance ones for now. He is strict but fair. Doesn't like taking money for nothing in return or compramised quality. You need a healthy attitude to be in his game. His work ethic is what sets him apart from most groups I've come across. 5 Day camp coming up end of May finishing with a seminar with Jesse Glover and Leo Fong. Two of Bruces students who he believes were real Fighters and still got skills in the ripe old Age!

20. Master Betty

the man's a fool.