Jeet Kune Do or decent alternative martial art in Chelsea are of London?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by benuds, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Thought so.

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Go back and read the thread mate - when you can actually quote me as saying bob breens guys cant spar let me know.

I asked for titles and you didnt give me them - you just said things along the lines of "such and such an unheard of guy has a title at european level in thai boxing etc." What the hell does that mean!? Lol I know plenty of guys who have stupid titles on their first fights - means nothing!

Tournaments? Yawn. Only tournament's real fighters take seriously are 8 man tournies. Not your standard shotokan crap with a bunch of mats that you pay a fiver to enter.

3. Pat OMalley

Never done Shotokan but know a few guys that have and they can and have kicked the crap out of people when needed. And just because you have not heard of them that makes them unknown? Like I said. Blinkered and laughable.

4. Master Betty

Ok so to summarise that post there: One insult, no quote of me saying bob breens guys cant spar and no titles as yet. Don't claim to have given me them again because anyone reading this thread, yourself included, can go back and read through and find there is no record of you giving me titles - no info on who has it at what weight under which organisation. You've just told me a bunch of guys have them at a certain level in a certain discipline. Pretty vague mate.

But hey, I'm gonna stop going on about it until you can provide the info cos this is goin round in circles.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

6. Hannibal

here is two

7. Pat OMalley

Oops! Must have forgot about those then?

8. Pat OMalley

and what about info on you and how you became such an expert?

9. Master Betty

That's not me saying they can't spar, that's me commenting a video that THEY call sparring and saying it's very bad. There's a difference and you, Hannibal, whether you agree with my sentiments or not, know that fine well.

The same is true with the second quote you made.

At no point have I made a sweeping statement saying they can't spar.

10. Master Betty

My name is Iain Cameron, I'm 25 years old, I started training in thai boxing about 5/6 years ago at Sit Ayuthaya in Hamilton. I've had a couple of amateur fights in thai boxing and K1 and a couple of professional thai boxing fights, all under Stevie Nisbet at Sit Ayuthaya.

I've fought on the same shows as Marc Brown, Hilary Mack, Rungnackorn Kharnpan, Robin Downer, Paul Grant, Maria Curriki, Joe Colville and Stevie Brown. All of them have titles worth having.

This, however, doesn't make me an expert, nor have I claimed to be. The simple truth is that I'm still basically a novice pro, however most guys at my level will also know all this info and know that it's common knowledge since most of the best english speaking thai boxers in the world use either muaythailand or axkickboxing and are quite happy to speak to novices on these sites as well as at shows etc.

None of this really matters however if you can't answer the questions.

11. Hannibal

That is more than a little pedantic of you - there is a clear an direct inferrence contained within your posts that says the training there is not up to snuff because the sparring is poor

When you say "This shower" you cannot mean anything but the group as a whole which instantly takes it outside of the microcosm of a sparring video

I also did not notice your comment on Geoff & Peter sparring in the same way. What was it?

12. Master Betty

I was inferring that, judging by the videos that they choose to represent themselves, it is poor. That I completely believe and stand by - it's a different thing altogether from a blanket statement saying they can't spar no matter what.

I must have missed that video - post it again.

13. Hannibal

Post #70

I can't link the vid at the moment due to where I am an what I am using (iPhone)

14. Master Betty

That's a much better example of the same concept, albeit, to my eyes slightly too frantic since, (I believe it's Kyokushin?) they can't catch kicks which tends to encourage a faster pace with less penalties involved in kicking.

I did however say that I didn't have a problem with light, ungloved sparring and that I've done it, get my guys to do it and most of the best thai boxers in the world will do it.

My original point however, was that the video that bob breen himself has chosen is very poor indeed and he must've had SOME reason for thinking that was worth putting on youtube as the SOLE representation of his gym's sparring.

15. Pat OMalley

So in your limited knowledge of the martial arts as a whole and basing your opinion on sport and little of no knowledge of JKD as a whole and what people in the different groups do. Its ok for you to infer that a whole group under a person who has forgot more about martial arts and fighting than you will probably ever know. Its ok based on the fact you have never even met any of them to infer they cant spar and any titles in anything they have done are Mickey Mouse? And you wonder why people have a pop at your blinkered opinion?

I take my hat of to anyone who steps through the ropes. In the cage or on the mat and I admit I have more of a preference for Thai Boxing over MMA but can see the value in all sport formats but to infer any system cant spar is a ridiculous thing for anyone to say.

You are obviuosly focused on your Muay Thai and if you want to win titles in it so you should be. I know how much work goes in to winning any title and would never belittle any title holder of any art unlike yourself.

But a word of advise. If you truly want to win titles in what you do spend more time training in it and less time bitching about other people. Your coach and organisation you fight under wont win you anything. Only you can do that. And there is only one reason you have not won anything yet and that's because you obviously don't want it more than the next guy.

You coach can coach you. Your organisation can organise the fights for you' but only you can win it against who ever they throw at you on the day and I'm sure there are people out there who think any titles within the group you train in are Mickey Mouse too but thats generally said by people who know nothing about what an individual does.

And no winning titles is not the be all and end all of martial arts it is a small fraction of the arts as a whole.

If an art is not suited to you that does not make it worthless it just means its not suited for you.

Having trained for over 30 years. Competed around the world and won a few titles in the process as well as in my stupid days as a kid being involved with gangs both in Glasgow and London. Having worked the doors for years I guess I have the right to know a little bit more than you when it comes to fighting and respecting achievements others make in the fight game regardless of what you deem to be Mickey Mouse.

You on the other hand need to get a little more expeariance. Come back in 20 years when you have actually spent spme real time in the martial arts then I will probably respect your opinion but until then your opinion on martial arts as a whole is minisquel to say the least and shod be taken with a pinch of salt.

You obviously don't like JKD even though you don't really know what it is mind you a few JKD guys don't either. And that's your right. But to infer a whole group is of no use and anything they achieve is Mickey Mouse shows you lack of expeariance and knowledge.

Your opinion is noted and duely ignored as a rant by an inexperienced lurker.

16. Master Betty

Actually mate, YOU brought titles up in the first place by claiming bob breens guys had them - I'm not actually that focused on them, I just wanted to know what "titles" his guys are supposed to have as I doubt very much his guys compete at a reasonable level in any of the sports.

As for me winning titles, I haven't won any titles because I'm simply not good enough or experienced enough yet. The goal isn't to win a title but to be the best I can - if a title is eventually within my grasp then so be it.

But at the end of the day, very very few fighters, even amongst the good ones, have titles. When it comes to the UK, if it isn't ISKA, UKMF, STBA, IKF or WMC then it's not really worth much.

Technically I am a WKA amateur K1 title holder - but it's amateur and doesnt mean diddly squat. Could I fight the best people at my weight under K1? Hell no! Therefore the title means nothing.

17. Pat OMalley

Master B. Excuses don't win titles either. Excuses are for those who are happy to loose. And as for your opinion on what titles are good and what are not. Like I said. Blinkered and laughable.

18. Master Betty

Now you're going round in circles. Just insults without even a point. The insults aren't even good ones.

I mean, how is me saying I'm not good enough to win a title and excuse lol. It's about as honest as someone can get.

19. Pat OMalley

Well if you don't know the answer to that one your journey to winning a title is going to be harder than you already think it is.

20. Master Betty

Lol whatever mate. Come back and talk to me when you have something relevant to post.