Jeet Kune Do-frauds

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ma-observer, Mar 1, 2011.

1. theficklefinger

theficklefinger Valued Member

JKD is supposed to be without style, according to Bruce. Which if you actually, or anyone here actually read the Tao of JKD would actually understand that Bruce's intention was to take the signals and tells out of his fighting method so no one could figure out what he was doing and formulate counters.

2. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Wow! Seems to me there's a terrific amount of BS flying around here. Not that my opinion counts for much round these parts (I think this is my first post on the JKD forum), but there are a few things I feel strongly about, namely:

1. TKD-bashing. If a TKD fighter trains to the point where they are fitter, faster, and more experienced than someone else, they will have stacked the odds massively in their favour. Certainly, if they only train/fight in a certain environment (ie. In a TKD competitive format, versus other TKD practitioners) then they will be conditioned to expect certain things and behave a certain way. HOWEVER, this has more to do with the way in which they train, than the style itself.

2. Stylistic effectivity. Everything works perfectly on paper. Everything is effective. I believe that there are, in actuality, very few modern schools that train in things they deem to be ineffective. Furthermore, I believe there are very few martial practitioners that would rely on methods they would deem ineffective. EFFICIENCY is a different story altogether though, and I believe this is a fundamental principal in JKD - to do what is necessary at that particular moment in time. If the situation calls for a rear-leg roundhouse, and your rear-leg roundhouse is cack, then you have an inefficiency in your style. Your option is to either find a suitable replacement, or cross your fingers and hope that you are granted the opportunity to employ something you're good at further down the line. Unfortunately, the latter option involves reliance on your opponent's inefficiencies, which is something that cannot be taken for granted.

3. JKD as a fixed style vs JKD as a concept. Though JKD may be learned as a fixed style with a library of set techniques and applications, it is nevertheless based on fundamental combative principles. To my mind, these principals are very much combatives-based. When a style is based on principals, its appearance and application will change dependant on the properties of the practitioner, their opponent(s), and the situation they find themselves operating in. Thus to learn it purely move-by-move or "by the numbers" seems somewhat contradictory to the fundamentals on which it is based. Superior tactics defeat superior technique, as they say. And superior positioning, speed, armament, number, and mental/physical conditioning have far more say in an engagement than who has the better techniques at their disposal.

Ultimately, a method's effectivity can only actually be evaluated by its end result over several field-tests. If you believe that your system is superior to TKD as a system, just because you kicked your friend in the balls by accident during a spar, then your science is clearly flawed!

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome to the wonderful world of JKD! :)

4. focused_rage

focused_rage Valued Member

i would rather see an instructor teaching portions of JKD methods adding with other arts calling it "suk mi poo" than have him call it JKD and it be Tae Kwon Do.

but thats just me...lol

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sounds like Bruce Lee himself

6. Hannibal

It should - I nicked most of it from his notes!

7. 47MartialMan

I havent read his notes or writings for some time

8. ma-observer

ma-observer Valued Member

guess what?

Now he is calling it JKD.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CXYdQjmE4"]YouTube - JKD Self defense for all part 15 (Eye jab)[/ame]

That's all.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then now he's being fraudulent. But it still won't amount to much. Think about it this way: You've got 100 hours to either 1) promote good martial arts or 2) seek and stamp out bad martial arts. Which do you think is going to yield the most benefit? To me, it's simple. You're never going to stamp out bad martial arts. All you can do is provide people with a solid reference point for good martial arts and let them draw their own conclusions.

10. ma-observer

Quite true. And that is what I'm doing. Not in here ofcourse.
    Mind you. I'm not aiming to discuss him anymore. I just wanted to point out that I was right in the beginning. Well sort of. :rolleyes:

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think you also need to accept the fact that you generated about a hundred times more attention to this donkey than he would have garnered on his own.

12. ma-observer

Yes, I know. :eek: On the other hand, his following hasn't increased much and his viewcount went back to the level it was before. So I don't think he profited from the temporary increase of views.

13. Hannibal

He seems to be doing a poor mans PFS - that is to say he has a rough idea of the technique but not the principles behind it.

His mechanics are lacking too

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's the thing about the information age. It now requires almost nothing in terms of knowledge or equipment to broadcast your views on whatever you want. So the possibility of unqualified spokespeople is at an all-time high. And there's not a damn thing we can do to prevent it. Personally, I think it's a tremendous waste of time and talent to go around trying to police the unpoliceable. (New word for the win!)

15. ma-observer

Actually, I managed to put 2 of them out of commission. One of them was a complete nitwit (worse than this Shaun character). But the other was run by a company/ATA TKD-school that used a model to target young women trying to lead them to their website where they could purchase an online self defense course. The vids are still up but the website is down.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay. It's your life.

17. ma-observer

It's amazing how many activities you can develop with proper time management and chronic insomnia. :wow:
    But enough of that.
    I've sent that guy Shaun an address in his area where he can attend some proper JKD-classes. According to my information the instructors have lineage. Hopefully he'll enlist and attains some proper knowledge and skills.

18. Hannibal

Or he'll think you are jerk or cyber stalker! :)

19. 47MartialMan

Is there a way post comments on his video wall?

20. ma-observer

I think he's liable to think me to be both. :cry: