Jeet Kune Do-frauds

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ma-observer, Mar 1, 2011.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And yet the only person telling them that this is JKD is you.

2. Rikku

Rikku New Member

3. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

___
    ok the famous bruce lee quote at the top has been used by "concepts" jkders for decaded as an excuse to throw in whatever techniques they want no matter how telegraphic, complex and inefficient. that quote is telling you stop OVERTHINKING. thats it, it doesn't mean do what you want. JKD is a martial art style with Very specific philospohy all based around maintaining balance and structure BY maintaining the fighting stance to the best of yor ability. IF a technique takes you completely out of that stance AND sacrifices your balance and structure IT IS WRONG.

THE people who call JKD MMA are really lost. JKD is NOTHING like MMA. a JKD fighter would never throw a rear legged muay thai round kick, a spinning backfist, a jump kick, a lunging haymaker or flying knee. these moves are ALL telegraphic, leave you exposed and out of position. powerful moves but like MOST techniques they CANNOT be a part of JKD. this is why "concepts" jkders are off. there are FEW techniques that fit bruce lees fighting philosphy
    of efficency, directness, simplicity while maintaining balance and structure. this is a BIG reason why you cant just add **** and call it JKD.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So much idiocy to address and so little time to do it in.....

5. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

go ahead and TRY to address it please. if you READ BLs notes you may see the same things .MMA is really just a combo of MT, boxing and usually BJJ nowadays for the most part. people "mixed" martial arts long before BL, but JKD has very specific principles and a lot of MMA techniques such as the favored rear legged MT round kick violate those principles. i suggest you read the fighting method, commentaries and TAO. then you'll understand JKD principles. its VERY specific.oh and if you're going to call me an idiot you BETTER have an actual rebuttal, other wise keep your "real JKD" to yourself . heres a nice BL qoute for you concerning wether his art actually had any structure, which some say it doesn't:

paraphrase :people often MISTAKENLY believe that JKD is against form.One thing we must understand is that is there is always a most efficient and alive manner to carry out a movement. one must also distinguish between having no form and no-form. the first is ignorance, the second transcendence. sounds like BL was saying that JKD IS A MARTIAL ART with a philosophy, strategies and techniques specifically chosen to maximize effectiveness. the last sentence refers to the goal of making JKD instinctive so as to eliminate conscious thought. to then transcend technique. you dont hit IT hits..this is a major goal of training in a WAR art . Thats it, to each his own. good luck.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  6. Hannibal

A Jeet Kune Do man who says Jeet Kune Do is exclusively Jeet Kune Do is simply not with it. He is still hung up on his self-closing resistance, in this case anchored down to reactionary pattern, and naturally is still bound by another modified pattern and can move within its limits. He has not digested the simple fact that truth exists outside all molds; pattern and awareness is never exclusive. Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.

Good luck carrying your boat - I left mine behind a long time ago

7. february

february Valued Member

The question is - other than the fanboys sitting around in their Bruce Lee Y-fronts waxing philosophical on forums - does anybody actually care?

8. Hannibal

Care? No - but it gets to the point where you a basically causing me to be questioned by students and wasting 20 minutes explaining an issue that really should not be there and is solely because idiots - and intellectually dishonest idiots at that - still put this nonsense out there

9. february

february Valued Member

I'm not with you bro, how am I causing you to be questioned by your students?

My response above was only really a poke at the guys who still think Bruce Lee is the be all and end all. Most of whom are the worst "martial artists" I've ever come across.

10. Hannibal

It's not you feb - I get where you are coming from.

It is the age old OJKD/JKDC debate. I am saying that this is JKD philosophy and concepts and some tosser pops up saying "NOT T3H R34L BRUC3 L33" on the web and I then have to get into a diatribe...time that could be spent training!

I look at Bruce as a trailblazer and a guide, not an unassailable guru.

And I am sadly in agreement with your assessment with some of the JKD crowd I have seen. There is something that seems to attract the mental onanists to JKD

11. february

february Valued Member

I hear you bro. I was going to try and address some of the issues bought up in this thread with my own thoughts on the subject, but honestly it's just so tiresome it's not worth bothering.

12. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

YOU CARE!!!! thats why you responded. lot of BJJ practioners started becuase of royce gracie, are they just fanboys? MY POINT is that JKD IS a martial art style with techniques,a philosophy and principles that DEFINE IT!!! and when you train OUTSIDE of those 3 areas its something else, NOT JKD! no big deal. what is so difficult about this for some people? JKD is crystalized like ALL MARTIAL ARTS. if you do a rolling leg bar(a great move BTW) are you doing Taekwondo? ofcourse not!!!! GET IT? I'm all for cross training in different arts, thats NOT THE POINT HERE. the point is that JEET KUNE DO IS A STAND ALONE and unique martial art style, not just a "concept".

13. february

february Valued Member

Right....no I still don't care. Thanks for trying though. :)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Oh dear. Have fun with this one boys.

mranderson, care to elaborate. Who have you trained with to come to this idea. Have you trained with and mixed with Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell and the like. Or even second generation students and instructors such as Bob Breen and Paul Vunak, people who have got it from the horses mouth. If not then how can you comment on what is or is not JKD? Is it from what you have read in a book, or from a documentary?
    I've said before you can't actually 'do' JKD because there is no JKD to do.
    I have also said that I do more JKD now than when I went to a JKD class.

If you do Karate, but throw in some of the Thai kicks or a punch you like from TKD coupled with a few knife disarms from Eskrima, guess what, you do JKD to.

15. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

__
    do you have to train with a gracie to understand or train in BJJ? all any of us have to go are bruce lees notes right and his original students? lets see, 4 fighting method books, the TAO and commentaries, those notes define a martial art syle, not just a concept used for training in martial arts. THERE is JKD to DO, straight lead, strong side upfront, 5 ways of attack, EOM, boxing footwork. very specific. BL was a zen buddhist enthusiast. and a philosophy major and didn't speak in laymens terms much of the time.

your last sentence is beyond funny to me!! there is nothing economical about TKD man!! come on! how is that JKD? an MT round kick that leaves your nuts exposed is not economical either man!!! come on that goes against everything bruce lee wrote.

16. Hannibal

ANY kick leaves your nuts exposed

Also you should probably look at TKD closer as you have thrown the baby out with the bathwater there!

Also I am afraid that the Tao was not written by Bruce - it was compiled by him. If you read the sources (the major ones) he used in that book he leaves out as much as he includes. Even the Fighting Method books were not written by Bruce - he posed for the photos. What his text would have been we have no idea

17. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

the tao is a collection of BL notes, i said that earlier. thats well known. lead kicks midsection and below DO NOT leave your nuts exposed. rear leg round kicks COMPLETELY EXPOSE THE JEWELS! THAT IS THE NUMERO UNO MMA KICK! The JKD fighting stance is meant to protect your balance/structure .A.K.A centerline/ testies. very specific. i once sparred a TKD black belt and he had all of the kicks but didnt protect his nuts and he walked into a front kick that caught the groin (100% unintentional) and he was down for 5 minutes. the centerline(balance) has to be maintained. lot of martial arts done even mention that and people get hurt really bad. to much rambling I'm done.

18. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

i studied TKD for years when i was younger, i will not look at that art again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shotokan mixed with kung fu movie kicks. a good workout and little else.

19. Hannibal

Yeah, with that level of response and critical thinking I think I am done here

20. mranderson

mranderson Valued Member

___
    not much critical thinking needed with TKD. it speaks for itself.