Jedi Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Obewan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What exactly do you do on a speed bag for Hyung training? Or is it kinda' just the same work as you would see in a normal boxing gym?

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Same as you would see in a boxing gym, hyung training was separate, although proper form is important in speed bag training.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

1-24-13

Back issues have kept me from training and it looks as though I'll Be out for some time. Still dieting, and will do what I can to stay in shape. Bag work and light MA training. Need to get back in to see the doctor, I had x-ray's done a few weeks ago but no report as of yet.

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Emailed my Doc, he said minimal arthritis in my lower back, said rest and strengthening the muscles around the spine should help, MA training is probably making it worse. I will start a core training program next week. I have a MA event this weekend but I'm only doing a small demo and the rest will be administrative.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would recommend finding a sports physio or osteopath, or other knowledgeable professional who can advise you as regards to your exercise choice and whether or not you can train your martial arts. Seeing someone who understands the pressures that MAs put on injuries has made a huge difference to my recovery.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok did the MA event, was a huge success, my back was killing me by the end, however since then I have been doing some minimal back stretches and it seems to be working. I can sleep through the night without pain. I will keep the stretching program going until I feel I can get back to some training, I have another MA event at the end of Feb. so I must get well so I can train.

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

1-29-13

Well I managed to not train for two day's woo hoo! So I tested my back last night on some hyung practice, did all my weapons forms, and a few higher level forms. Felt ok I didn't push myself concentrated on technique and proper body position. About 40 minutes, slept fine a little sore at stretching this morning. I'm icing my back every night that seems to help the pain. Slow and steady. I'm down to 182lbs so with the lack of hard training I feel that's a good weight loss 11lbs so far.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Back injuries are a horrible thing, give it time. Any strengthening work you can do on it?

Mitch

9. Frodocious

What he said^. Plus congratulations on your weightloss! :)

10. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I've been dealing with back issues since I was in my teens, the type of heavy work I did when younger and not lifting properly has IMO put me in the predicament I'm in now. My doctor suggested core strengthening exercises, however at the present anything that I do affects my back. The stretching and ice has helped tremendously so that's good news, my fear was that something major was wrong, luckily it seems that's not the case. I'm confident that I can fix the muscle problem with stretching and core exercises, however for now I'm going to stick with the stretching until the pain subsides then I'm going to focus on my core to strengthen the muscles to support my spine.

I appreciate your concerns and am open to any suggestions as to what you've experienced, as I know Mitch and Frodo have had similar issues.

Thanks Again

11. Frodocious

My advice would be to get a professional to have a look at your back. If it's muscular and you have trigger point issues going on then someone who knows about these things (not a GP) can make a real difference to your recovery. Yes, it may end up costing you money, but if the end result it that you get back to doing stuff you love, it's money well spent (IMO). The problem with just stretching and doing core exercises is that if you're not sure what the actually problem or, more likely, problems are then you could end up making the imbalances worse.

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-1-13

Yea! got a proper training session in tonight.

15 minutes heavy bag workout hands only
    15 minute speed bag workout
    5 x10 burpees onto payloader tire
    10 x 3 situps
    3 minutes slosh pipe
    5 x 8 negative pull ups
    25 x 3 hammer strikes on tire

1 hour session feel pretty good can feel my back but I'm icing it.

13. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-4-13
    Morning exercise elastic band work, never did these before, WOW! nice workout, Might do them again today. Try to remember the workout.

3x10 curls
    3x10 military press
    3x10 arm to side raise
    3x10 biceps (kind of like skull crushers from standing position.
    3x10 flys
    3x10 hammer strikes both sides
    45 second rope
    30 second rope
    45 second various curls, arm raises, and flys

14. Frodocious

15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Various strength bands IDK what strength actually, first time with them, I was invited to a morning workout with a local fitness coach, we're thinking about teaming up for a community fitness project. Colors were yellow, blue, and black they went up consecutively in strength.

Yes we did the pull aparts, just forgot to log them.

Thanks for the article

Edit: the ones we used were cords not bands, don't know if there's a difference, any thoughts on that?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. Frodocious

If you find out the maker of the band you can probably check their website for the strength rating.

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-4-13

Evening session

Adult and black belt classes, mostly teaching, but was able to train long enough to jam my big toe.

1 hour circuit training:

15 min speed bag
    20 min heavy bag
    5 x 8 negative pull ups
    5 min slosh pipe
    5 x 10 burpees onto pay loader tire
    3 x 10 sit ups on tire
    3 x 25 hammer strikes

Relaxing with a protein shake and ice on toe.

What a day!

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-5-13

Teaching classes, no other workout night off.

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-7-13

Circuit training again,

15min speed bag
    15min heavy bag
    5x8 negative pull ups
    5x10 burpies onto loader tire

one hour training, 32 degrees in barn, and sweating like a prostitute in church. Good times

20. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2-8-13

Martial Art Training, 1 hour forms practice slowly cause my back is hurting.

3x15sec planks
    2x15sec side planks
    5x10 leg raises
    5x10 BW squats