Jedi and swordmanship

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pmosiun, Feb 18, 2010.

1. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Hi, this may sound like a dumb question, but i was wondering since watching Sci Fi Science with Michio Kaku as the host. He talks about building a real lightsaber.

I was wondering since the lightsaber is within grasp. Will we be creating a new fighting style or based it on current kendo or kenjutsu style of swordmanship?

Based on my experience, Kenjutsu is more natural in terms of footwork and handling of a real samurai sword but will it be to slow for a lightsaber? Or Kendo would be too fencing like for a real sword fight?

I guess another question is will we be creating a jedi like religion? Part of it could be because the lightsaber is closely related to the jedi knights in star wars but also because a lot of people whom might be interested in a lightsaber might be a science nut and atheist?

http://mkaku.org/home/?tag=sci-fi-science

This is the discovery science show hosted by Michio Kaku.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. liero

liero Valued Member

If I got a lightsaber....

I would join their religion

3. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

ok at risk of falling for troll bait

1. I have no idea what you're talking about. Any chance of posting a link? Everything I've seen or read says that lightsabers are impossible.

2.the "martial art" would stabby-stab-stab-do. Seriously, it would be simple and effective with a one-hit kill in mind.

3. A lightsaber is a laser sword. It has nothing to do with any religion. We'd just carry on with our lives with laser swords. People didn't make a new religion when the gun came out, did they?

besides, Jedi religion already exists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

4. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

The problem is that the lightsaber is so closely related to Star Wars.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If you look, a lot of the culture in Star Wars is taken from the stylized images of old japan.

But just consider the difference between it and a real sword.
    Blade direction, penetration, and balance. If you look up the top players in Amtgard, one of the more sportified LARPs, that's probably what it would look like. Sticktag with extremely light weapons. Don't let the ideas around LARPs fool you. While most people aren't any good and have no interest in being so, there are some people in that game who are absolute freaks with a stick.

Angling would become much much more important if they did not stop upon contact with eachother, as in the movie.

The thing is, the principles are pretty much exactly the same as older styles.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAy7byVn21Y&feature=related"]YouTube- Leif Clalibus final fight Darkshore 2008[/ame]

Only vid I could find with top guys sparring. Most is little instructionals or tape from lefty clinics, spear clinics, things like that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

7. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Didnt George Lucus copy Akira Kurasawa's movie The Hidden Fortress, and instead of Samurai, he created the Jedi. Because it is in space, the Katana was replaced with the Lightsabre.

Jedi = Samurai??

OMG... Im a nerd! :woo:

peace

8. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

If a light saber was developed, you can be sure you wouldnt be able to walk into a shop and buy one.

It would be used for military purposes only, maybe mining.. and would be more difficult to get hold of than a mini gun.

So a fighting art developed around it would never happen.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Light sabers are impossible to make, and anyone who says differently is just making grand claims so that he can have his own television show called "sci fi science" ;)

By the way, is LARPing like SCA heavy weapons fighting only without the cracked ribs?

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

airweaver won the thread

11. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

JEDAI

JIDAI GEKI samurai movies

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Nonsense-thou art merely an astute obserever of modern culture and cinema.

Consider a career in anthroplogy?

Mitlov-you mean there are SCA folks who still use the heavy stuff?Or did they finally return to it?

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't know what they do currently. I just know that when I was in high school (late 1990s), I had several friends who did heavy fighting. The whole wearing-armor-and-beating-each-other-full-force-with-rattan-sticks sort of thing.

14. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Careful..We now have many things that were thought to be "impossible" right up to the point where they were POSSIBLE.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If I get me a cool ass laser sword I'ma name mine Betty.

16. rivend

rivend Valued Member

A device similar to a light saber. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I may be wrong here but this device is one they are considering that may be a actual submission weapon =momentarilly blind and confuse led weapon. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@ van zandt: give me one with a red blade and i'll dress all in black and call it evil betty