Jean Claud Van Damme going to K1

Discussion in 'MMA' started by CobraMaximus, Dec 11, 2004.

1. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

Yes and he has called his age old nemisis, Tong Po, to be his trainer.

I think it great for him to try himself at his age. I don't care what his motives are. Lets see him get in there and mix it up, if he can.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Oh definatly, i think it's excellent that hes wants to try it :) But we shall have to wait and see if he actually follows through with it and enters! :)

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm still very skeptical about it. If I'm brutally honest, I think it's another one of his stories to hype up his MA skills to try and get some credibility back after his whole cocaine thing; I just don't see him getting in that ring. If he does, I'll respect him as I respect anyone with the guts to get in there and actually do it, in the mean time, I'll be keeping my skeptic hat on. After all, it's not like no one has ever claimed to be entering MMA or K-1 to get people talking about them again *cough* Frank Shamrock *cough*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Personally, im very sceptical about it as well. I'll beleive his intention to be real when he's stepping into the ring :)

5. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

Until that first punch is thrown, it's all talk.

6. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

People - you're all blind!!!!

Think about it...

Van Damme making a Movie
    Van Damme currently the Vanilla Ice of action heros (well, second only to Seagal)
    Studio wants to hype Movie
    Van Damme wants to build cred, so producers tell him to act tough
    Suddenly Van Damme wants to enter K-1
    MA forums go crazy about whether he could do it or not...
    Lots of people think it's a joke but buy tickets to his Movie just to find out whether they think he could do it
    Van Damme and producers get lots of $$$ for their trouble!!

Simple. He never had any intention of going into K-1 - the studios are just hyping the movie through "viral marketing", just like J-Lo happens to get married every time a new movie comes out.

Next step will be that after the movie, Van Damme will back out gracefully (lol), claiming an injury from the movie or "training too hard".

7. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

Van Damme is bluff all the way down to the bone.

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

OMG do you think all that hype about Van Damme entering K1 could be made up just for marketing reasons??? Or that he can set up an "expedition fight" just to promote K1 (and in return K1 will promote him)

Oh NO the horror :eek:

j/k mate that’s what we all expect we're just discussing the possibility that there is some truth in it.

Also from what I heard van dam is like 5'7' or something. No way he's playing in K1 heavyweight (against Sapp or Sefo like some said)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  9. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I doubt there's any chance at all.

Just imagine how much $$ his agent would lose if someone broke his pretty nose. No more glamour pic movie opportunities...

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

He isn't getting many opportunities anyway.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Its not like hes getting many these days anyway :)

12. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

That’s about right. I met him he’s not a big guy. I would defiantly pay to see him and Sapp.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol your not the only one! :D Such a fight would be great to see! :D

But at the moment im waiting to see if he'll fight anyone! Let alone Bob Sapp :)

14. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

Well if he does well have a long wait...cos hes realseing his new film next year....

15. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

He never was a champ in France. He is from the Netherlands. He competed in local tourneys, but as far as I know he never won any championships. I may be wrong there though.

As for entering K-1 - :eek:

I don't see it.

16. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

Hey whats with the vertically challenged humor there bub. :confused: I'm a pretty big 5'6" :bang:

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Small guys can fight :) But naturally abit of height is a fair advantage.

18. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

See, now your just busting my bubble I live in. :cry:

19. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

No humor or anything.

If you paid more attention to my post you would undertand that all i said was Van dame can't fight in the heavyweight category because its 210 and above. (and practically most of the fighters are above 225)

No matter how pumped up he gets he can't reach that weight because of his height.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  20. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

OUCH!

I was joking.