Jason Statham's MA Background

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Wolf, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'm watching the Transporter again, and I became curious about Jason Statham's MA background. Does anyone know what it is?

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I'd guess at kickboxing maybe, possibly TKD, I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like to me.

3. hutchback

hutchback New Member

I believe he was trained in the art of HO-LEE-WOO-D.
    Seriously, I don't think he has any formal training beyond the fight choreography, but I may be wrong.

4. john700

john700 New Member

I think I remember reading somewhere that he was a gymnast when he was younger, which prbably accounts for his agility.

5. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

The kind of kicking he's doing looks like you need a little more than a couple months worth of cramming with a fight choreographer. I'm thinking TKD or some other Korean art.

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  7. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

re:

he was a gymnast and an olympic diver.
    He is obviously very fit.
    Corey yuen choreographed the fights.
    he is the guy who showed JS all the moves.
    Thats what the fight choreographer does.
    Corey Yuen is one of the best choreographers around.
    He went to the same school as Jackie Chan, samo Hung.
    A good fight choreographer can make anyone (mostly) look good on screen.
    They know how and what to shoot and they know how to edit it all as well.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

^^^

Take heed of Butcher Wing. Not much else I can add to the post. Apart from the obvious....."Its hard to make anyone look this good"

9. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

here its says:

http://www.greencine.com/article?action=view&articleID=197&pageID=359

Corey Yuen

'Did Jason Stathma have martial arts training before he made The Transporter?

No, he didn't have any martial arts experience. He was a professional diver in Europe, so he caught on pretty quick. Jason put a lot of time and effort into training for The Transporter - three months. He worked very hard for the role. I thought he did quite well'

but on other sites it quotes Boxing, karate and gymnastics?

but no specific style or Ryu-ha.

:)

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

He does have MA experience.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I spent about 30 minutes tring to discover what his background in Martial arts is once but couldn't find it, odly everywhere I found with google mentioned that he had a lot of MA experience before he did the transporter but none of them said what the experience was in.

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Same here.

13. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

bored much? :D lol

someone here said pesilat or w/e the hell the ma is. w/e it is it's workin.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

That's SIlat ;)

I thought it to be pretty obvious after lookin how he used his opponent's clothes to immobilize them and stuff :D

|Cain|

15. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

i've never seen pesilat in action before transporter.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

DAMMIT MAP! GOOGLE BROUGHT ME HERE!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HE HAS STUDIED PREVIOUSLY!

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I heard somewhere that he had a lot of wing chun experience which kind of disappointed me. :[

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Movie-fu. I read a feature article about him in some magazine last year. He was a street hustler in London (as in fraud, swindler, con-man), then a world-class diver. He got into acting after that, and funneled all the physical discipline he needed in diving, into preparation for his action scenes. He practices the fight scenes for hours and hours on end, over and over again, with stunt men and choreographers, with the express goal of making his moves look both real and very strong. And he exercises a lot.

So -- no formal martial arts training, but he's a legitimate athlete.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You reckon since the first Transporter he's been training? I watched Safe and it was just brilliant.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't know about prior to The Transporter. But I think he's pretty tight with Bas Rutten these days. Read that in a magazine at some point.

It's funny. I've seen some footage of him training for various fight scenes. And he looks a lot more like a trained martial artist in those than he did in the actual movies.

Watching him throw a spinning hook kick, I'd have guessed he'd been at it a while.