Japanese Pro Wrestling?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Combat Sports, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

So I am watching a lot of old "Pride" fights and I was very impressed with Sakuraba. Most of the other people though that supposedly do the same style as him I was not as impressed with. They have him labeled as "Japanese Pro Wrestling".

What exactly was his training? What do people think about this style and why was he one of the only people I have seen (So far, I have a lot of PRIDE stuff I still have not finished watching so I may of missed some) that was impressive?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have a mate who does pro wrestling in Japan, WWE type stuff but has hardcore training, have to learn very good ukemi first and all the throws moves etc in a 'proper' way before you can put on the showy stuff.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Usually wigan catch in origin thanks to gotch and Robinson.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Saku is a legend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibyObwmYR4"]Kazushi Sakuraba documentary - YouTube[/ame]

However age and injuries should really have him retire.

6. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

He does it because he loves it. I remember watching the interview before he fought Royce. He's fearless but at the same time humble.

7. Mushroom

I've been a fan of Saku since pre-broadband. I will watch all his fights but prays that his retirement is next, he famously once said that he wishes to die in the ring. As much as its promo talk and Saku aisnt that crazy (we think) hes slowly getting there.

8. slipthejab

In one of his very last fights his ear was basically ripped off the side of his head so he held the bloody flapper up to the his head and apologized to in Japanese to his fans for his ear coming off. Blood streaming through his hand while he bowed. Brilliant! :D

Yes he should have retired... I wish he would. He's a legend. But must be hard after a lifetime in the ring to pull away. Don't envy that.

9. Mushroom

I saw that fight and cringed.
    Also wondered what exactly ripped it off. It was during a takedown, so maybe is got caught on a knee strap?

I just remembered the thing flapping about

10. slipthejab

I suspect that once the cauliflower becomes too much it becomes much easier to rip an ear off. They're not exactly welded on to begin with... but I think if you get a big 'ol chunk of cauli then the chances of it being ripped are higher. Ouch.