Japanese,kanji?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by joejitsu, Feb 10, 2012.

1. joejitsu

joejitsu Valued Member

In need of some help!

Have been looking for somewhere I can get accurate translations from English to Japanese characters. I believe the characters are called kanji, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

The reason I ask is that I have very limited internet access so don't have chance to search online myself, and I figured this was a good place to ask.

Thanks in advance, Joe

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Japanese has three main (might have more actually) 'alphabets':

Kanji - for traditional, Japanese and Chinese words

Katakana - Used to transliterate foreign words in to Japanese (so for example names) and it works phonetically

Hiragana - Used to write words that aren't in the Japanese language, like 'Mr.' etc, or if the Kanji is too obscure and needs spelling out, as it were.

So the next question would be why do you need the translations?

3. joejitsu

joejitsu Valued Member

Ah, more complicated than I first thought!

I actually wanted translations for a tattoo I've got planned, and wanted a definite translation as I'm sure most people who like to be inked have heard stories of people having other languages tattooed and the translation being far from what they imagined. (I know of a particularly funny one, but this is a family site!)

4. joejitsu

joejitsu Valued Member

Ah, more complicated than I first thought!

I actually wanted translations for a tattoo I've got planned, and wanted a definite translation as I'm sure most people who like to be inked have heard stories of people having other languages tattooed and the translation being far from what they imagined. (I know of a particularly funny one, but this is a family site!)

5. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

as apposed to Nigerian Kanji?

*very sorry, had to say it.:Angel:

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Ok, well in that case, if it's an English phrase it will more likely be done in Katakana, although there might be a Japanese equivalent you could get in Kanji. You could try taking the meaning of the saying or whatever and put it in to Kanji using the right characters, but it's unlikely you'll get the result you want.

Anyway, I'm sure someone who can speak Japanese properly will probably be along soon.

7. joejitsu

joejitsu Valued Member

Suppose I walked straight into that!

Llama - Thanks, have got a bit more understanding now and know what to look for