[Japan] kanji for 1 through 12?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Fish Of Doom, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

hey all
    could anyone give me a link to the kanjis for the numbers one through twelve? it's for a gift(a clock, hence the numbers), and i'm not quite willing to trust google on this one, so if any of you guys could help me, you get not one but THREE, yes THREE e-cookies!

thanks in advance
    fish

2. Kappa

Kappa New Member

I can do better than give you a link:

1: 一
    2: ニ
    3: 三
    4: 四
    5: 五
    6: 六
    7: 七
    8: 八
    9: 九
    10: 十
    11: 十一
    12: 十二

I demand an extra e-cookie for services rendered.
    (Also, if you can't see them because of lack of oriental fonts pack or somesuch, let me know and I'll get them up in an image file).

3. Fish Of Doom

*cookie**cookie**cookie*
    *extra cookie*

let's see, i see them like this:
    [​IMG]
    that about right?

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

That is right...

(on both accounts) ;)

5. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Just to mess about with people a bit

1- 壱
    2- 弐
    3- 参
    4- 四
    5- 五
    6- 六
    7- 七
    8- 八
    9- 九
    10- 拾
    11- 拾壱
    12- 拾弐

Or....
    壱、弐、参, 肆、伍、陸、漆、捌、玖、拾、拾壱、拾弐

Have fun..

6. Fish Of Doom

that was not funny. i need this for a handmade gift for my shihan who is coming here in november. which do i use?

7. Banpen Fugyo

lol dont listen to ben.

Those were the convoluted versions... kinda.

Here:

http://members.aol.com/rtdrpt/kanji/numbers.htm

8. Fish Of Doom

ok, thanks a lot, much apreciated. a hundred cookies for banpen

for (i = 1, i < 100, i++)
    Console.WriteLine("*cookie*");

9. fifthchamber

I wasn't trying to take the ****...

Basically, the standard kanji are fine, but for special occasions, it would be more suitable to use the older forms since they both look better, and indicate a little more care about what you want to present..

If it's a gift for a Shihan, I'd still go with the versions I posted above, although, if he doesn't read Japanese well then any use of more "beautiful" words would be lost in any case...

Either way, entirely up to you..I really wasn't taking the mickey..I'd go with the ones I posted if it was something formal and I wanted to indicate that I cared..

まーどうでもいいや。

10. Banpen Fugyo

He's right, lol :p

Didnt think of it that way....

11. Fish Of Doom

bwahahahaha ok then, sorry i reacted badly. thanks man.

12. Kappa

Kappa New Member

... um, they might be more beautiful, old and elaborate versions, but what Fifthchamber also failed to mention is that those versions are only used on legal documents (otherwise, really rarely used). :/

13. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

How do you display those things?

Several of the posts seemed to only be of question marks.

14. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I've seen them on menus in posh places too, although you don't need them if you can speak! Plus they're on the yen notes.

Bronze Statue: there should be a setting in your Windows set-up menu. I can't tell you any more specifically because I use a Mac, which has them automatically (er, well, maybe that's only because it's a Japanese Mac...?! :D )

15. fifthchamber

I didn't need to mention that they are most commonly used in legal documents surely?

I mean, he wanted to make an effort to impress his teacher and using simple kanji would be okay, but using the more formal kanji fits (in my own opinion) far better than the more simple forms..

They are most commonly seen on Yen notes as a way to prevent those kanji being added to and the notes value changed (Although..I'd still doubt that was practical..)...But that in no way means that they are inappropriate for something like a present....

The fact that they are "really, rarely used" is surely more reason to use them for a gift?No?

I dunno...Some people like to make a mountain out of a molehill...

Wassup Mr. Punch, sorry for missing Kichijo again mate...

16. Mr Punch

Deffo. I think they're pretty cool and would go for them for a gift clock too...

Don't worry - I think our friend Kappa has somewhat optimistically decided himself the resident expert on all things Japanese.

No worries, couldn't make it myself in the end!

17. fifthchamber

Ahh...I see...Well, he's welcome to it then...If I argue that point I'd actually have to do something..And I can't be arsed..(Although I will correct things that are wrong..LOL)..

Shame..His thread idea was a good one I reckoned...Until the first thread started up...I guess it does help to live here eh?

Cool..There's a demo we're doing in Ayase (Tokyo Budokan) next week (体育の日) if you feel like watching morons in hakama..(One at least)..And I think the Ninjers do a little something there too usually..Quite a laugh..

Starts at 10 I believe....If not I'll catch you next time.

Regards.

18. Kappa

Kappa New Member

Okay, first up: thank you for deciding for me that I should be the resident expert in all things Japan. That said, I gracefully have decided that I am not fit for the position, so I'd rather one of you two, masters of "rarely rarely used kanji", occupy it.

Second: that'd be a "herself", sirs.

You might say whatever you want on the more elaborate kanji, and maybe you're right, as being quite honest I do not give a fly if Fish of Doom picks your reply or mine to make his present--if I allowed that to make me feel important or whatever you're implying here, that'd make me a really sad person. I just said so because asked my teacher (a native) and he said that besides bank notes and legal documentation et al, he didn't see the legal kanji that much (and was mighty unimpressed that I'd found it, too... said he didn't teach it because he saw no use to it--that you end up learning it by yourself when you live in Japan).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  19. Mr Punch

Just messing around. Apologies if I've offended, madam.

20. fifthchamber

Hey Kappa...

My bad...I guess the way you replied to that post seemed a touch dismissive....Mr. Punch and I live here, but that doesn't mean either of us has the energy to do what you're trying to do..

I just took offense to the way you dismissed the recommendation that I made...

And I agree..The kanji I posted are so rare that they are entirely useless to learn, however, simply because they are rare they make a present seem more valued than using something commonplace and ordinary..That was my whole point....Your teacher is being logical, but not very imaginative, if I may suggest so...

Anyway, you have my apologies for jumping on you about the way you replied...My bad.

Regards.