[Japan] Japanese speakers? help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by succubus, May 29, 2006.

1. succubus

succubus so hot right now

K, I know there are a couple of people who speak decent Japanese on this forum, so this is one of the places I'm asking... :D

A friend and i are headed for japan in around 8 weeks, and both of us have serious allergies. Our advisors told us to learn how to say that we're allergic to them asap.

So, can anyone help me out with how to say:

"I'm allergic to seafood"
    and/or
    "I'm allergic to penicillin and sulphodomides"
    k, have no idea if they'd even have a word for sulphodomides in japanese (it's apparently the base of antibiotics). but i figured it's worth a try. :)

I'm going to need the seafood one as soon as I hit Tokyo, I think. And my friend's going to need the other if she ever goes to a doctor.

would really appreciate it. :)

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Maybe your friend should consider geting a medic alert bracelet as well as learning the phrase, and good luck with the seafood thing it's in a lot of stuff in japan.

3. succubus

yeh, i think she's going to do that as well.

thanks. surprisingly, there are two of us from SA that are allergic to seafood. at least i'm not the only one. :)

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

watashi wa kaisambutsu* ni arerugi ga arimas(u).
    I am allergic to seafood. Polite.
    * Can be replaced with any other food.

watashi wa penishirin to kosebushitsu* arerugi des(u).
    I am allergic to penicillin and anti-biotics. Polite.
    * Penicillin is pretty self explanatory but that other one means antibiotics there should be a macron over the o and the e.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  5. CKava

By the way your allergic to ALL seafood?!?

EDIT: No sushi?!?

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  6. succubus

thank yoooouuuu!

*blows a kiss*

7. succubus

yup. iirc, it's iodine i'm allergic to, i think. so no seafood at all. and no sushi. :p

it's ok, i'll only be in japan for 1 to 3 years. *sob* :p

8. CKava

Good Luck! The first day I was in Japan my girlfriends family served me a buffet of seafood that probably would have killed you ;) hopefully you wont face the same situation!

9. succubus

haha. well our first day in japan i'm going to be highly jetlagged after one 17 hour and one 3 hour flight. and i'll be planted in tokyo with about 3000 other english teachers from all over the world. if they put seafood in front of me i'm probably not going to notice the difference. and if i do, i'll bungle the words so badly i'll probably end up telling them "your ass looks fat in those pants" or something.

:p

10. CKava

What teaching program are you going on? Jet?

11. succubus

Jet it is. :)

12. CKava

Lucky you I know someone who spent 2 years in Okinawa on JET and loved it so I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

13. succubus

awesome. i actually applied for tochigi, but i'm definitely warming to okinawa.

i've been told by loads of people that it's the best prefecture. all the people i saw at the embassy this weekend told me they're crashing at my place for their holidays. ;) so yeh, starting to get reeaaaally excited!

14. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Okinawa? Should be able to find some mint old skool karate down there! I'm jealous on a couple of levels! People are supposedly more friendly down there too (tho, they've been pretty friendly up here too).

So I can hit you up for a place to stay when I finally get my **** together to get down to Okinawa!? :Angel:

And of course you're welcome up here! My GF might kill you of course! Assuming she's worked hard at her fu!

Good luck with the kaisanbutsu thing... Okinawa's quite famous for it... fortunately it's also famous for pork, chicken, bitter melon and champuru (all three in a juicy kind of omelette!).

15. succubus

yeh, really looking forward to doing karate here.

i'll see what my school has to offer and probably do that, if they'll let me do it for free. ;)

heh. i'd better check how big my place is first before i go offering it up on the internet. ;) i have no doubt that it's going to be a 3-tatami little hole or something. :p

at least i have an excuse for not having their famous squid-ink soup when it gets shoved in front of me. :D

16. Ginga Ninja

Ginga Ninja New Member

Hi guys, whats JET? You make it sound like something really cool! A good reason to go to Okinawa and learn the language, plus get some training in!

17. CKava

JET is the Japanese English Teaching Program organised by the Japanese government. You require a degree to apply but besides that its pretty much down to the application and the interview. If you get accepted you go and teach English in a Japanese school, you can pick prefences for where you would like to go but if you pick a popular place like Tokyo or Osaka your chances are significantly reduced. There are a host of other English teaching programs but none are run as well as the JET plus you get a relatively decent salary while your on JET.

18. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

You can also use babelfish in altavista.com.
    I don't trust those translators though. If you translate some of the words back to English, you would be like, what the heck is this? This is not what I asked for.

I wanted to go down to Japan one of these days. Need money money money.

Anyways enjoy your trip, actually enjoy your stay there. :p
    Maybe slipthejab, can sail across from Hong Kong to see you there. :D

19. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Somebody needs a geography lesson...

20. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Hong Kong in China...
    Okinawa in Japan...

Chinese in China and Japanese in Japan

China and Japan, separated by water... :D So that mean's that you could sail by air or by water, one of the two.

China big land mass, Japan small island. You know... You get the difference between the two... Sandus... ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2006