Jake Paul, Pro Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Jake Paul announces that he’s "retired" from boxing

"Jake Paul has Tweeted that he’s now a “retired boxer,” which could be legit, could be a troll, and could be something that he thinks for the time being but later changes his mind about, which would make him roughly the 32,143rd boxer in history to do such a thing. So maybe today is the day he’s become a true professional fighter, ending all debates."

I have to be honest, I kind of agree with Jake.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Uggg, he is just continuing to follow the model set by McGregor. Stupid fake promotion nonsense. Mixed with real tantrums and rage quitting.

I don't know about boxing, but as far as MMA goes, the influx of this sort of person and this type of promotion paying off is ruining the sport. At least for me. I don't follow MMA as much because the person who does this fake WWE type thing gets a fight over more deserving people just doing martial arts.

He and his brother keep getting fights because of marketing and they know how to promote themselves, not skill level. It is a joke and it has turned MMA into a joke.

SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A couple of things to point out.

Jake Paul has a professional boxing record of 4-0. So he's an undefeated pro boxer, in real promotions.

He started off as a relatively soft internet personality and became a Disney star, before deciding to become a pugilist. And he just defeated (by decision) a pro UFC fighter, at boxing, and then decided to tell the whole internet he's moving on.

So how is he not winning and practically everyone else on the internet whining about him acting a little jealous. When I said I agreed with him, I meant that in two parts. Part one, ace for becoming a boxer. Part two, king for retiring at 4-0. That's 21, blackjack.

I didn't even know who this kid was before I read about this fight, but I love him anyway. Where's all the hate coming from for this sort of champ?

4. aaradia

He already "unretired." It was a stunt. :rolleyes:

In addition to the reason I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I will add this.

He is a Covidiot anti-masker who threw massive parties because he thinks Covid is a hoax.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    SWC Sifu Ben and Grond like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

As a person I can't stand him.

But as a fighter he is only doing what every fighters wants to be able to do, control his own promotion and make the money the promoters make.

The fight game has always been a business first and about competition second, and the MMA fight game has always paid it's fighter poorly so if Paul can make them more.money in one boxing match than they would get in a year in MMA I say well done to him and go for it to the fighters.

David Harrison and Grond like this.
  6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

He unretired a few hours ago.

The retirement of someone with only 4 fights is normally not newsworthy. Shows how silly the predominance of media presence has become.

And who gives a hang when a boxer,playing his game,defeats someone from another game playing by boxing rules.Whoop-dee-d00.

SWC Sifu Ben, Grond and aaradia like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'll admit I have no idea what his politics, virus opinions, or general opinions are.

He's not bad at boxing. And he loves Cleveland.

David Harrison likes this.
  8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If you want that as a bar to entry, you'll lose a lot more lifelong professional fighters than celebrity novelty acts.

He stepped up and got in the ring. Isn't that something people who are into combat sports are supposed to respect?

9. aaradia

Who said that should be a bar to entry? Please do not misrepresent my words.

This thread asked what people thought about him. I don't like the guy or his brother for a myriad of reasons. I said why. As a fan, I totally get to choose who I support or don't like. That is what happens with any entertainment. Never said he should be banned or not allowed. I do wish the loudest, most obnoxious marketers weren't getting fights over hard working fighters with better records that deserve better fight opportunities and promotion dollars from the UFC. Witness McGregor, who has a pretty lame record the last five years, but is still getting top level fights. That doesn't mean the people should be kicked out, just that they should have to work their way up the ladder like most fighters have to.

No, there are bigger issues than sports, and people helping spread a worldwide pandemic through irresponsible behavior are people I don't respect. You respect (or not( whomever you want. I will do the same. It is my opinion, not a debate.

I am not going to respect a guy who also have allegations of misconduct towards women just because he steps into the ring.

MMA hasn't been the same since GSP retired IMO.

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Well for one thing, allegations of misconduct aren't the same thing as actual misconduct, though, and quite frankly having been a boxing fan for nearly 40 years I can say without hesitation a lot of false, defamatory stuff has been said about so many boxers, I'll doubt anything that isn't backed up in court.

When I learned of this situation last night, my first thought was "who do I believe" because here you basically have another Youtube unfluencer personality using social media to make felony accusations about Jake Paul, and basically monetizing the fallout drama. Rather than go to the police and make a statement, this woman is throwing red meat to her fanbase. It's this kind of Disney character type social media warfare that makes me stay off social media most of the time, its like I'm watching some silly kid's drama not sure if what I'm watching is even real. Watching the video in this link, I don't know if I believe her.

Of course she may be completely honest, but I'm not about to fall for a pretty face if you get my drift. She's surprised she's getting threats? That's sort of why you go to the police and not your personal channel of subscribers to make a serious allegation. Or maybe these kids are just too young to understand the consequences of screaming fire in a crowded theater.

Video: Justine Paradise says she's getting death threats after sexual assault allegations against Jake Paul

Muhammad Ali was smeared probably worse than any boxer in history, by the press, by people wholly unfamiliar with boxing, and by many Americans for no other reason than his faith and convictions. And in retrospect a lot of people regret it, but it persisted up to his passing a few years back.

Jake Paul may or may not be guilty of being an actual rapist, but he clearly loves the bad boy image. Still, I can't judge him for that any more than I can judge Connor, or Joe Rogan, or Mayweather, all of whom I considered to be conceited, egotistical donkey brayers, but I can still compartmentalize their out of ring behavior from their pugilistic prowess. Kind of like how you can love a piece of art, even if the artist was a worthless, irresponsible, selfish idiot in reality (like so many are).

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

He's essentially a child star who decided to put on his man pants and do something few people have the courage to even attempt. But he definitely seems to have the same kind of child star baggage that goes along with being a Disney type. Brash, egotistical, emotionally immature, and prima donna...but again this describes so many boxers famous and non it's almost as if it's an inseparable from boxing history. The sport is just always going to draw people like this.

And we don't have to like everything they stand for or represent. If he's truly an anti-vaxxer, he's just misguided like most of them. If he's truly a rapist, then he deserves jail, not social media he said/she said. That's just utter nonsense that plays into Web stardom rather than justice.

Cleveland, for example, benefits from everything Jake Paul does. There is even Jake Paul associated tourism and new BOXING interest, and Cleveland sorely needs every dollar. Without evil, there can be no good, etc. But whether Jake Paul is truly a trashy human being FOR REAL, as opposed to a media bad boy, is a matter of opinion rather than fact as far as I can see.

Watching the fights though, I tend to forget who is who and focus on fisticuffs.