jack dempsey's championship fighting OOP book

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Stickgrappler, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler Valued Member

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

stickgrappler I love you, been trying to get that book for years :D

3. Stickgrappler

you mean yoda doesn't have this book?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Of course he does :D

5. Stickgrappler

saw the CEA URL after elhiggito's post, thought he was with you, yoda, sorry, just saw the glasgow now.

6. YODA

Well - depends what you call "with me" LOL!

Actually him, his missus & kiddie (my Godson :D) are coming to stay with us next weekend :D

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Niiiice! Thanks :D

8. Scotty Dog

He Does but I was daft enough to give it back to him after he loaned it to me :( mind you as good a book as it is not sure I'd want to get on his bad side by nickin it, the man knows where I live :)

ps yoda when do you want us down there ??? we were thinkin of aiming for 10am ??? give or take nappy changing stops :(

9. YODA

LOL! Well you DID have it for 2 bleedin' years! LOL!

10am is fine :D

10. Scotty Dog

hey it's a big book, & even with the pictures there's still a lot of words for a scotsman ( when are they bringin it out in comic form ????)

PS any ideas on where we can kip ( if you've emailed me sorry but I think hotmail's playin up :( )

11. YODA

Best bet is the Travel Inn just down the road- where Andy Murry kips when he's in town. I can book you in if you like.

Our sofa's are available as always but I'm not sure how that'd go down with your missus!

12. RightHook

RightHook New Member

Are you putting up the rest anytime soon? Thanks for the link though :cool:

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Excellent, I ve wanted to see this for a while now

Cheers :D

14. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Read the Link last night.

What struck me was the similarities between Bruce Lees Tao of JKD and Demspeys Book with regards to punching techniques.

15. Scotty Dog

Re-read the Tao, all the way through it he say's " according to Demsey" :)

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Just thought I would ressurect this thread coz Demspeys insights are top drawer:)

17. pimphand

pimphand New Member

TTT - Dempsey knows...:)

18. Montrose

Montrose New Member

It is well known that some of the Tao notes are taken right from Dempsey's book. Ali and Dempsey where Lee's 2 favorite fighters from what I understand.

I learned my left hook off a jab which has 2 explosions- one from the shoulder and one from the bicep from a 83 indiana golden gloves champ who learned it from the now deceased Mr. Brown who was an associate of Dempsey and said he learned the explosive hook (as I call it) from Dempsey. It is a fast and deceptive punch with whirling power. I often wrench peoples elbows just hitting the pad with it. I taught it to a younger friend of mine and he won a local tough man contest relying primarily on the hook.

Dempsey is one of the most under-estimated fighters in boxing history. Tyson idolized him and said he was "a very viscious man."
    When your talking mental toughness, street mentaility and a sure passion to destroy Dempsey was unequalled in the history of the sport.

Jack road the rails (rode underneath trains holding onto the bottom which is totally nuts). He would go into mining towns to the local bars and ask the bartenders if their were men that were trouble and offered to take them out for money/food etc. A very tough individual who had quick hands and could hit like a mule, gues thats why they called him "Jack the giant killer" as one of his nicknames.

19. Montrose

Montrose New Member

A couple more tidbits about Dempsey:

Dempsey had 49 official knockouts of those 25 were in the first round!

He also possesses a pair of the quickest knockouts in heavyweight history, one in 14 seconds, another in 18 seconds!

M.