I've returned to Karate.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Evil Betty, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

I had left my Karate dojo a few months ago and joined a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school. I was a bit frustrated with the slow progression of Karate, and the lack of free sparring at low ranks, so I decided to try something with more sport focus.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great style, and a lot of fun, but it just isn't for me. I understand the importance of ground fighting and all, but something about the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/MMA just rubs me the wrong way (pun not intended :p ). I'm really not a sport oriented person, though I do enjoy watching a bit of UFC and PrideFC every now and then.

Anyways, I've rejoined my Karate dojo and am glad to be back.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Well congratulations on your return and I wish you all the best in your future training :)

3. Rhino

Rhino New Member

ahh you know it makes sense...karate owns :woo: :D

4. ShorinRoots

ShorinRoots New Member

When I joined a bjj school a while ago, i found that it lacked a sense of completeness that karate maintains. bjj may be more effective on the street (not saying it is, only that some believe it to be), but karate carries with it a unique spiritualism and focus on the art, not to mention rigorous physical demands.

needless to say, i am a big fan of karate.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh brother it dont matter what you do as long as YOU enjoy it ;)

6. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

hell yeah iv been considering joining a hapkido school but i'd never quit karate to do it, no mater what if you study karate its your art

7. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

I've returned to karate

The lessons you learned at the BJJ school are now added to your arsenal..Welcome back...

8. RobA

RobA New Member

Welcome back :)

9. freak

freak Valued Member

congrats on returning back to karate...it is always good to try other fourms of martial arts too see what is right for you

10. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man New Member

I read an interview with a guy called Tony Felix (I think) - who had about a zillion black belts and titles - he said that you should stick with a style/school until black belt, even if you lose respect for the teacher or the style. Just stick it out.

I think its a debatable point, but it does seem to me that its only a minority who can make it past the middle grades and a precious few reach dan grades.

I guess its easy to think the grass is greener when the going gets tough, and that may just mean you dont feel you are making much progress..

Welcome back, older and wiser than you were before you went away......