iTunes Card Vs Credit Card

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Hey all, try as I might, I can't seem to get a straight answer from Apple forums etc, but hopefully one of you fine music listening martial artists can help.

Ok, I have an iPad 2 and have an iTunes account with an associated credit card. I've also come into possession of iTunes cards (courtesy of an Argos promotion).

Now on my iPad iTunes App there's a place to redeem the iTunes cards, which is easy enough, but, does any one know if, during a purchase, Apple debits the iTunes cards rather than the credit card? Do you get the option to select which payment method? Or do I need to remove my credit card details to "force" it to debit the iTunes cards?

It seems like a really simple question but employees at the Apple Store failed me as did various forums dedicated to Apple...

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ooh, good question. I only use the credit card and the kids use the gift card.
    I'll ask at work, as some of the guys have i-tunes accounts.

3. Chimpcheng

Thanks man.

It's such a simple question too and no one at Apple seems to have an answer and Google hasn't been helpful either as I think I'm asking the wrong question.

I just want to know if I can use iTunes gift cards on the same iTunes account that I have a credit card on? Do I get asked how I want to pay (gift card or credit card)? Does the system choose one over the other if I don't deactivate something? Hmmmmm...

4. Chimpcheng

Ok, according to one of the Apple fanboys at work it appears that iTunes has a native preference to charge iTunes credit rather than credit card. So you can register a credit card as fall back payment, if, for example you order something at £30 but you've only got £25 in voucher credit...

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good news. My boss thought as much, although we were not positive.

6. Chimpcheng

Right, got an actual real life email from someone at Apple US. Your iTunes has an automatic preference to charging payment to iTunes cards, once that is depleted it will then start charging your credit card. If no credit card is associated with your iTunes account then you can't download anything which isn't free or an update to an App you currently have.

Easy.

I better forward that email to the Apple Store in Newcastle, they didn't have a clue...