It's On

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mayweather v Pacquiao is finally on, with the fight announced for May 2nd.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12355361/floyd-mayweather-announces-fight-manny-pacquiao-set-2

This fight has taken over 5 years to make and according to Sky Sport's Johnny Nelson it's possibly the biggest fight since Leonard v Hagler.

For many years I've said that Mayweather would retire undefeated, but my mind has been changed, with Pacquiao being the victor in this one.

This is a PPV that will definitely be worth the money.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I will be watching this. When was Pacs last fight?

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm pretty sure it was only last November.

4. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

At long last!!! It's happening!
    This is gonna be a real festival for the boxing world! There's gonna be a lot of video analysis, predictions articles. I can't wait!

Many big names have already made their pick.
    From what I have seen at least the 90% of the people asked think that Mayweather is gonna be the winner of a pretty close fight.
    Past opponents like De La Hoya, Mosley, Hatton, boxers of the new generation like Keith Thurman and even trainers like Atlas, all pick Mayweather http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/02/atlas-picks-mayweather-to-beat-pacquiao/
    Roach is so far the only one that foresees that Mayweather will lose with KO.

I am more of a Pacquiao fan, but I also think that Mayweather is the favourite here.
    He is all around great, in all the fighting ranges in both offence and defence, footwork, reflexes, speed and he even got some power in his hands.

Pacquiao definitely has some flows in his game. He has also lost his KO punch
    which was always there in the past to cover for his risky offence.
    On the upside, he seems to have become wiser and smarter in his game, but I don't know how much this can help since he is fighting against the smartest boxer in the game.

One thing for sure. The guy who will win this, is gonna pass down as one of the best boxers in the history of the sport.

PS: Simon, what made you change your mind?

5. puma

puma Valued Member

After one round or 2 maybe, it will be one way traffic. Pacquiao will show his hand early, and Mayweather will have him figured out. Pacquiao will only have one game plan, and when it doesn't work, he won't be able to change. I hate to say it, but I think this fight will disappoint. The real boxing fans will appreciate what is going on, but this one will attract non-fans, I can't think what else to call them, who will expect blood and guts all over the place and don't understand the subtleties and concentration involved. Mayweather, probably points, winning 10 rounds, or late stoppage, that's my prediction.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wouldn't count myself as a boxing fan. I certainly don't watch regularly, but I'm not expecting a bloodfest at all. I'm expecting exceptional techniques though.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'll believe it the day after the fight

8. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Pacquiao has to make this a quick fight. No way he out points Floyd in a decision. Make is a brawl and he has a small chance.

My heart wants Manny to win but.... my mind says Floyd all the way.

I might even go watch this fight in person with the wife! ;)

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's probably going to wind up being much more Leonard-Duran III than it will Leonard-Duran I.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Here is a very good breakdown and prediction.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLdG5r1iZdo"]Mayweather vs Pacquiao Prediction for May 2nd, 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I actually think this will be a fairly one sided victory for Mayweather.

A couple of years ago I would have been up for it...for some reason I cannot generate much enthusiasm this late on

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Oh, I'm enthused, but I also expect Mayweather to dominate, and to win on points. That is, he's not going to knock out Pac, but he'll clearly win.

Five years ago I would have predicted the opposite victory. (shrug) And Mayweather knew that, and that's why the fight never happened until now. (shrug) They call him "Money" for a reason, and part of that is that he doesn't take fights that he'll lose.

But I'm still excited about the fight because it's going to be a good one. :happy:

13. puma

puma Valued Member

Who's he? He lost me as soon as he tried to advertise his seminar. Using these great fighters to promote himself! Not interested. Switched off straight away.

I actually think Mayweather would have beat him easier a few years back than now. He is 38. And I don't think Pacquiao has declined as bad as people say. Shame Pacquiao dodged him all these years. Anyway, still hope no one pulls out....

14. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Mayweather all day long for me. As much as I like Manny, his power, heart, speed and being a nice guy.

Floyd has been on top for too long. He has dealt with bigger hitters than Manny, faster people and better boxers.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSLaIpFM66k"]Mike Tyson Describes the Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Who Wins? - YouTube[/ame]

Thoughts?

16. puma

puma Valued Member

I know who he is! Tyson is looking in good shape.

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You're watching via Sky Sports, Simon? PPV in the States will be around £66 -£68 and IIRC you'd pay £20 for the PPV on Sky - correction if wrong.

translation for the Yanks - "thats thirty bucks, ya'll"

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Buck = Treason Dollars.

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don'cha worry yerself there, little Cornwallis, thar be plans afoot to have us on the Euro reeeaaalll soon. ;)

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's The Earl Cornwallis to you, rebel scum.