It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

"MAP's foremost zombie awareness activist" has to be up there as well... :whistle:

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

DISCUSS....

I think that in many clubs that's a valid assessment - I can think back to sparring in TKD, and sparring and competition fighting in Lau Gar and Kyu Shin Ryu Karate and would have to say 'Yes' that's pretty much what happens...

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Even if he provides a resume hannibal it doesnt make a damn difference on the internet because we dont really know who he is or who anyone is.
    the proof is in the pudding or should i say the posts.

a good coach should be able to explain what effect or actions he wants his students to perform.
    as he said he is a coach but he is unable to explain exactly what he's talking about and has provided crappy background and theory to most his posts.
    he also has a shoddy understanding of science as he stated:
    Theory to us and in science is an idea with a body of evidence backing it, and since we are talking about strength and conditioning, skill learning and biomechanics, there is a great body of evidence backing these things in many grappling and striking arts.
    If such things he claims to exist have a basis in reality they will have a basis in some scientific literature and therefore should be relatively easy to explain.
    i have a feeling he's talking about using his magic powers though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't believe there is anything that cannot be explained by "words". Simple things such as:

- push head down, sweep leg up, he will fall.
    - grab his leading leg, hook his back leg, he will fall.
    - pick him up and throw him over your shoulder, he will fall.
    - move his center to be outside of his base, he will fall.

Those are plain English that everybody can understand. The words that Robinhood used just a bit too "abstract" for me.

5. Mangosteen

he uses too many analogies rather than just description.
    it might just be because he's new to forum posting and isn't used to detailed descriptions.

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

A basic YouTube clip would do. It doesn't even have to be him.

My pedigree while not as impressive as Hannibal's.

High School wrestler. US Marine ( 1971, 1974 ), 5 years submission grappling ( 2007, 2011 )

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Old Chinese saying said, "To throw out a brick to invite the jade." We may throw bricks out but not sure we will see the "jade".

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

This is really interesting to me because I have stumbled with words to try and explain what I mean in martial arts many many many times....

I do agree that the underlying theory must be capable of being written down and explained in words but (there's always a but isn't there) an INDIVIDUAL might or might not be able to do that - some coaches are brilliant at explaining things and some are brilliant at the physical demonstration and physical teaching... and then of course there are many coaches who are not very good because although they can do things brilliantly THEMSELVES, they cannot explain or teach them...

9. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Look at all of your arrows in your drawing, they are all contained in the same plane #2.

Your plane is just tilted that's all, still one plane #2.

Cheers

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

No. It is not 1 plane. You have a hand pulling in one plain, you have a hand pushing on a different plain and you have a leg tripping i yet a third plain.

If you attack a grappler in a single plain you will find yourself on your a$$ most riki tik. Old Marine term meaning really fast.

11. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Your amount of time doing something does not mean much if your haven't met the right people, I have come across people with 40 years of experience that have not experienced it. I had 20 years of experience before I met someone that had what I am talking about.

I don't think you will find it in a commercial school.

Cheers

12. Mangosteen

the last category arent really teachers, they're competitors!
    something that annoys me with BJJ is good competitors get black belts. black belts teach. but some of the black belts dont know how to teach or break down techniques for students.
    On the flip side you have a good teacher who are medicore at competing
    You really need to be good teaching people through all three different learning areas like audio, visual and kinaesthetic.
    and on an online discussion you better be able to show at least one.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

You are all talk and no substance. Pages and pages of the same thing, with nothing to make anyone want to change their mind.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

yawn...

15. Simon

This^^^^^.

16. Mangosteen

if you cant explain it then post a video and point it out in a video.
    like simon said, you're getting boring.

17. embra

embra Valued Member

Strikes/pushes in multiple directions will always disorient an opponent and can (but not necessarily) attack the central nervous system (if on joints and/or nerves). You can have the strength of an Ox, but its useless against a sharp if you can't get off line.

18. Simon

It's not just the repetative posts. What is the cumulative training time of those reading this thread? Probably over 100 years and Robinhood thinks none of us know what works and how to correctly use mechanics.

Utter tosh, and I'm still not convinced he has the time served he makes out.

19. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Your observation is in levels, did you every take geometry in school ?,
    all of the force or movement arrows in the drawing are in the same plane !

Not airplane, geometric plane., not height....geometric plane.

The leg forms the pivot point and is not in the action plane.

Cheers

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You have no clue what you are talking about and you have just proved it. Go back to annoying the cma forums.

Simon, can this thread be closed due to terminal stupidity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.