ITKF...JKA??

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Prizewriter, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Hi folks.

Over the Christmas period a friend is going to check out a karate class. It is a Shotokan class that is part of the ITKF. I don't know much about karate but I said I'd watch with him to see if anything stood out (good or bad).

A quick google about the ITKF has me slightly confused though... I'm seeing a lot of "ITKF-JKI" results coming up, and people talking about mergers with JKA etc etc.... Can anyone give me the lowdown on what is happening?

I know this won't effect the quality of the class, but at the same time if there is a lot of politics going on it's probably best to factor that in to any decision.

Thanks for any help.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Had a quick google , all I can find is that there is 1 group called ITKF And another called ITKF new era.
    There seems to have been a split about a year ago with the new era group pushing for Karates inclusion in the Olympics , I couldn't find much about the JKA.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the politics unless your friend really wants to compete , just see if the training looks good.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

itkf if memory serves was nishiyama's group, which was an offshoot of the JKA, and now that nishiyama died i guess some groups may be in talks about returning to the JKA. it's all shotokan though.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

They seem to be linked with Kawasoe , so should be a decent standard.