It doesn't matter what you know

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Alansmurf, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Grond, Mushroom and axelb like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

"Mr Woolley said he was one of the people attacked, and was punched a single time in the face. "

Olympic TKD isn't exactly known as being good with the face punching....

Although neither is BJJ so maybe I should be quiet!

Grond, Alansmurf and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I saw the news article, looks like he was hit right in the nose from the amount of blood.

you could go straight to pull to seated guard, is a legit defence to a face punch o_O

Dead_pool and Alansmurf like this.
  4. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

To be fair, they have trained exclusively in a controlled environment and to a precise rule set. The goal is winning a competition.

This is totally different. A very fluid situation against someone who doesn't play by rules. If you haven't trained for that then you're no better off than the next person.

This is not a slight on the victim at all.

Grond and Alansmurf like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Knowing martial arts and/ or self defense isn't a guarantee. It increases the odds of a better outcome.

So, I disagree with the title. I don't think it doesn't matter. It's just what you know isn't, as I stated, a guarantee.

Any school saying they teach self defense should be telling you that. I know my school does.

I hope the guy makes a full and speedy recovery.

Grond, axelb and Alansmurf like this.
  6. Alansmurf

Posted as an illustration that we are all susceptible to being hit no matter how much we train or what we train in

It is in no way a criticism of any martial art or artists

just a pinch of salt to the reality of life

Grond, Shmook and axelb like this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Whilst we may not want to critique certain arts I think we can say some training methods are better than others for preparing you for real violent encounters.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I thought Murphy's law was "Don't shake hands with anyone called Murphy?" :)

Alansmurf likes this.
  9. Alansmurf

10. Talisker

Talisker New Member

All these anecdotal stories of experts being easily beaten up in street fights seem to be taekwondo experts.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

To be honest it's probably because modern Olympic TKD is about as far removed from real fighting as you can get in a combat sport

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Lee Murray.
    Street fighter, UFC fighter. Did his time on 'the doors' Rumoured to have KO'd a prime Tito Ortiz in a alley. (Confirmed by Matt Hughes)

Still got stabbed in the chest during an altercation.

Stuff (rhymes with fit) happens.

(Now in a Morrocan prison wasting away for a separate...issue)

Alansmurf and axelb like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Wow, wake up call. Shame, it seems like the guy is a square shooter, just got caught up in a messy chaotic situation.

One thing I will say, one idea that many people who train martial arts swear by is that all that training will be there in a snap instant when they need it, almost as if by reflex. Now I don't know about others but most of my day, I'm barely ready for incoming bad news, let alone an incoming fist. If I saw it coming, sure my body reacts because I'm used to it, but hell if I have enough awareness most of the time to avoid it in most places.

If I got jumped in a store, a bar, a movie theater, whatever, sure I think I'd be able to hold my own. But those sucker punches out of nowhere can take out anybody, that's why they are so effective. Huge difference between expecting and not expecting. Boxing gym I have days or weeks to prepare for intensity, almost anywhere else my guard is so down. And nothing wrong with that, who wants to live their life looking over their shoulder for the next attack?

There's learning a little self defense, and then there's making it your whole paranoid life's goal, when you're rarely or never going to actually need it, unless you walk up into the ring and call for it.

Flying Crane and Alansmurf like this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That is a busted lip based on the report. The big difference between a busted nose and lip is the nose tends to clog and clot faster (the broken vessels are inside) but with the lip, if that's split enough it's going to require stitches and will fill a river before that happens.

Pictures like that remind me why I will never complain about having Vaseline smeared all over my head.

axelb and Alansmurf like this.
  15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The head is a very bleedy area.
    I once saw a guy get hit with a steel tipped heel, right on the top of his head.

He gushed out like a crimsom geyser. She got taken to gaol and he got treated on the spot for ambo.

Turned out he barely had a 1/2in cut and it went to the bone. Think ambo literally patched him up there n then and dropped him off for stitches.

A GBH went to ABH very quicly...

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong