Isometric split progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Okay I am certainly not the stretching expert VZ is but let me add my 0.02

When I started BJJ I realized my guard game was bad because I didn't have enough flexibility so I set out to fix that. Every day I woke up and did dynamic stretching followed by isometric stretching before breakfast and every night I did relaxed stretching before bed.

Within a little over a month I went from having my pelvis 1.5 feet off the ground to having it about 1.5 inches off the ground. I was younger and more pliable but with dedication it's certainly doable. Like a lot of things in martial arts and life most people don't want it badly enough to dedicate the grind time to it. They just want it enough to whine about it.

2. dariodariodario

dariodariodario Valued Member

thanks sifu

i'm 32 years old i try to do the split from 2013.I want this with all my life because i think there is a possibility also for me to do it.For this reason i never give up and when i read the notice of vz that a lot of people with this method do it i say :"Cmon Dario it's your day today".Thanks for all precious advices and make me feel as i have a second family.thanks:rolleyes:

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well barring some injury or anomaly in your hips you should be able to do it with time and consistency :)

Personally my problem has always been front splits but that is from lack of dedication to it not lack of capability :hammer:

4. dariodariodario

i have no injury or genetic problems because when i do the open front split i am to 25 cm to ground i think only that i do not right exercises.This is the problem and i ask with all my heart to help me in this titanic challenge

5. dariodariodario

READY FOR EVER

Mr Zandt i'm here when you are ready i'm always here.I so excitated to do this kind of training.I do not disturb you but when you begin i will be always here.Thanks and good training for your match.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There's a bit of a language barrier here, so let's go right back to basics, one question at a time. You might not like it, but it's better for you in the long run.

Question 1: Have you ever injured your legs, hips or back in any way?

7. dariodariodario

no

No Mr Flexibility never and i apologyze i will moderate myself

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How far off the ground are you in front splits?

9. dariodariodario

now a lot, because i focalyze myself on side split,thinking that i was doing the wrong exercises to reach the goal, but never results.I wait your response DOC

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Please don't call me doctor. People worked hard for that title and I'm not one of them.

What surface do you stretch on?

11. dariodariodario

Sorry again, i stretch on floor of tiles and it's diffucult to slide on because it's rough and my heel go on fire.I use a pair of socks to slide but if isn't the floor that don't help me with stretch are my ankles that don't work.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Are your ankles stiff?

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mr Van Zandt,

My legs ache, my arms ache, my back is weak, my hair has decided to leave, I've have a hand injury since Christmas, my belt has to be loosened in regular increments and I'm thinking of buying my clothes at tents r us.

Please help Mr Van Zandt.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Squat deep.

15. dariodariodario

yes my ankle are stiff but think not enough

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do this pre-stretch before your splits stretches:

[​IMG]

3 sets of 30 seconds should do. Stretch to the point of tension, not beyond (it is a "light" stretch).

17. dariodariodario

ok i do and what kind of exercises i do to reach the goal?

18. dariodariodario

because the exercises that i try don't work so i want to say what kind the exercises i must try?I read your post and your success and i want to be a part of this success.A testimonial from italy :D

19. daniel1973

daniel1973 New Member

Okie dokie people,Having been trying the isometrics to achieve the side splits for some 3 years now!.i returned a few months ago(check previous posts in this forum topic to be sure) to ask for any advice on why i don't seem to have got them yet.
    I have fairly good dynamic flexibility and can head height virtually every kick in my kick boxing syllabus,but wanted specifically to try and get the splits down.
    I have been following the programme TO THE LETTER.and have relative ease in holding the stretch for a full 3 minutes.but i am no closer to achieving my goal.
    On the advice of guys here it was suggested that i needed to build some more strength(altho i thought that was an added side effect of isometrics),mainly in the form of squats,which i have been doing for some 5/6 months and can report that i can pretty comfortably squat 95 kgs with a WIDE stance(approx 4 shoulder widths).and sure my legs are stronger(as my instructors who have to pick up the wavemasters will tell you!,haha).but this has made almost zero difference to my side splits.I have never really had explained to me the connection between strength and the ability to do a split?.for example there are students,mainly young i admit at my club which can split,but i hardly think you would consider their legs of immense strength?
    I squat 3 times a week and not usually on my isometrics days.i do FULL below parralel squats with what i consider to be good form.
    whats going on?

20. daniel1973

daniel1973 New Member

Oh,sorry,forgot to mention,I have been doing the isometrics RELIGIOUSLY,i do them with out fail 3 times a week.this together with the squats is why i am having such a hard time wondering what the hell is going on!..cheers guys