Is your practice a good work out?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Kframe, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys, just thought id put up a lighthearted post. My google exploring lead me to this post. http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-weight-loss

160lb person burning 730 calories per 60min class? Whats even weirder is that their are a number of well used calorie calculators that have Taekwondo as a select-able activity. Using that calculator with my weight and the 90 minute class time of the local KKW affiliate spit out a calorie expenditure of more then 1800 calories... LOL ya right I bet thats accurate!

For some reason the 730 calories per hour for a 160lb person sounds high. Now im not sure if it is high or not, but my own trial class was certainly a huge work out for me. I mean i was sore for a week after that class and breathing heavy in the first 15 minutes.

I can attest that certain points are very challenging. The kicking drills and sparring alone were hugely taxing. I remember the self defense to be the easiest part of class, expenditure wise.

So guys, how taxing is your Taekwondo practice? Have any of you tracked it with a heart rate monitor? I would love to strap on the full Athos gear and get its read out but thats seriously expensive.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Martial Arts has been proven to burn more calories then weight lifting or running combined.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It depends very much on the session of course, but I've used a heart rate monitor in sessions before and got 500 to 600 calorie burns in 60 minutes. If it was an hour of sparring it would be more, an hour of technical work or learning patterns would be less.

I can burn more in a turbo trainer session by maintaining a high heart rate, whereas the stop/start nature of TKD class tends to result in your HR rising then dropping lower than normal training zones. In some ways though, that cycling of your HR is a good thing.

Mitch

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How do you run whilst lifting?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Badam-tish!!!!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Proven? You better have a paper to back that up.

And not all training is created equal. The average martial arts class is just aerobics in pyjamas.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I dont doubt tkd can be a good work out. Ill say this, that tkd class was far more fun then intervals on the bike. Seriously it was a blast. The way the class was structured was like doing intervals, which explains why i was toast by the end of an hour. Thankfully the last 20Mins or so was all technical work.

Seriously thinking about going back and signing up just because of how fun it was and how much of a good work out it is..

8. Mitch

It was good fun and you had a good workout. So, unless you want to compete under a specific ruleset that is not TKD, why aren't you there now? :)

Seriously, the best reasons for doing any MA are because you like it and because it's good for you :)

Mitch

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

To be honest Mitch, its fear. I am afraid of not being prepared for things and fear of loosing to someone who is more rounded. I guess i just dont want to fear mma guys. I remember when i was in mma, had about 5 months in, and a 4 year TKD black belt walks in and is my sparring partner.. Needless to say i took him apart.(i have told this story before) That experience of taking him apart stuck with me. Sure he could kick, but not much else.

Of course he was from out of town. Not from the dojang im looking at.

Also the KKW dojang here the instructor was a competitive judo blackbelt and apparently trained in some form of hard style kungfu. Which explains how he trains the double knife hand block as more of a TCMA trapping action.

Also trying to figure out a way to get some weapons training it. Sure i could do the Bujinkan thing as well or drive the hour to the nearest fma school.

TL/DR Its fear that is my issue. Im afraid of loosing when it counts, in front of my family when/if i have to protect them.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sounds like you need some BJJ in your life to beat the ego out of you.

There will always be people stronger, faster and more dangerous than you and as you get older, those numbers will continue to get higher. A life lived in fear of the incredibly unlikely is no life at all.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Aye Holyheadjch i have some issues. I have to poop or get off the pot as my indecision is costing me months of training time..

12. Mitch

I don't know where you live and what the crime stats are for your age group there, but for most of us, the chance of being involved in a violent encounter is very, very small.

Your best chance of avoiding one is not to become some "well rounded fighter," because then you haven't avoided it, you're showing your family you rolling around in the gutter with some drunken fool, or choosing to endanger them by violently confronting a mugger rather than letting your ego go with your wallet.

Your best chance of avoiding one is to develop an understanding of violence and those who commit it, practice avoidance and, if you can, de-escalation techniques.

Other than that, train for fun; that might be MMA, Kali, even RBSD, but you should be really enjoying it. As PASmith is fond of saying, your biggest risks are health and diet based, so regular exercise that you choose to go to and which keeps you fit is the most important thing :)

Mitch

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Doing some sort of training will prepare you better than sitting around and not training at all. Training to be a good kicker in TKD will develop one skill set at least. (If you spar, it will develop more than one.) Not training develops no skill set.

Stop asking "am I the deadliest" and start asking "am I better today than I was yesterday? Last week? last month? last year?"

14. aaradia

A good workout is up to the individual practicing it. How hard do you push yourself? An instructor can only do so much.

I see people "working out" at my school that never break a sweat. And people really devoting themselves to their workout. We have a bag workout class that is specifically for getting in shape. I see people go all out, and some (usually teens) that just goof around as soon as the instructor turns to face other people. They don't punch the bag seriously, aren't focused.

One reason I love martial arts is it keeps you honest. You get what you put into it. The choice of what you put into it is up to you.

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I dont know about other people but i take what i i do very seriously. I left that dojang sore and tired, as it should be.

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The specific conditioning exercises in wing chun are really with the weapons. Some movements and postures are initially strenuous for beginners but the body adapts fairly quickly.

Once you start doing weighted and unweighted exercises with the sue mai gwan though... that is hard on the arms and shoulders.

Sparring is always a good time for people's wind though.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

You know, i after spending time in the Ninjutsu forum im probably going to do it... Sign up that is.

What i dont understand is how can a art like TKD produce hudreds of thousands of blackbelts, a great majority(sans ATA) of them will move and perform their curriculum with skill. Its like the Bujinkan is 2 different organizations.

18. Mitch

Oh, there are plenty of terrible TKD black belts :)

But for those who train well, under good instruction, there is the advantage of sparring and competition. Now, plenty of people don't like TKD sparring, and that's understandable in some ways, but if you get to test what you do against other people on a regular basis and can join a competitive format, then there is some form of quality control.

Ninjutsu? Well, I'm not even going there. :D

Mitch

19. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the input guys. It means alot. Now the hard part. Since im still a beached whale, i have to get the right uniform and then have it tailored....

20. aaradia

You know what kframe? You need to change your mindset towards yourself and stop putting yourself down like that.

When I have been negative towards myself, my instructor has pointed out how that attitude holds me back from my potential. I suggest to you the same.

Personal attacks are not allowed on MAP- stop attacking yourself!;)