Is Wrestling a Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by BigBen, Dec 7, 2004.

1. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Is wrestling a martial art? Like some drunk guy in New Your City comes up and attacks you could you use wrestling to attack him back? Thanks...

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes. wrestling is a very effective form of self defense- the ability to control another persons body in an altercation is never to be underestimated. any monkey can punch someone.

3. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Allthough I haven't seen free-fight shows, I'm told that the wrestlers (be it aikido or more weastern) are very eficcient. Modern weastern wresteling is very sportified -like european fencing or japaneese kendo. But the principles of wresteling (-the way wresteling were before it became a "clean and safe" sport) are the master of combat IMHO You can survive a kick or a punch, but if someone break your wrist or strangle you, you've lost.

Actually; another "clean modern sprot"; boxing had loads of wresteling-techniques incorporated before it was cleaned up and streamlined (just read Louie's brilliant thread!), and allmost any ma in the world today have more or less wresteling into it.

If some drunk guy comes at you in New York... well one of my Fiore di Liberi -students broke the arm on an attacking drug addict a few weeks ago using wresteling, so I guess it can be applied to the modern world easlily enough.

4. madfrank

madfrank Valued Member

depends on the person not the art
    wwe is for girls
    gracie is for cage fighting royce even said it was no good for the street
    any monkey can punch and any wrestler can be floored by a punch

mf

5. Black Dog

Black Dog Expressionist

Even the collegiate wrestling, though usually safe, can be very effective. I came against a highly ranked Judo practitioner and took him down with a simple neck snap and hold. It really depends on how you use its techniques.

6. Stolenbjorn

so accroding to your splendid logic, monkeys are artists, or any system involving punches is not to be considered a martial art?

I wonder why all the medieval arts involve tons of grappeling and all the spinning roundhouse whatever-stuff is added on relatively late?

7. Amnion

Amnion New Member

I would say that by the very definition of the term "martial art" that yes, wrestling is a martial art. Since "martial" means "combat". And they teach ground-fighting to Soldiers and Marines for use in combat. It's a very effective tool and requires a great deal of the many characteristics found in every type of MA--balance, footwork, stamina, speed, etc.
    That's why, after the Gracie's dominated in the first few UFC's, people started to rethink how they did mixed martial arts, and now every fighter that competes there has grappling experience. But you've also got to consider stripping away all the rules that are tagged onto the sport aspect of it; that's when you really start seeing the true meat of ground-fighting.

8. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Wrestling is the oldest martial art around, the original, the alpha. It was also one of the first sports in existance,along with swimming and running. Although Pro-wrestling is entertainment (And before we get into a discussion about Pro-wrestling i am a Pro Myself so i DO know what goes on, i dont want anyone telling me what they think they know, Please Be kind) its base is in Catch as catch can/Shoot wrestling and many techniques that are used are legit. I also do MMA, but my core is and always will be Grappling/wrestling,and it hasnt failed me yet.

9. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I would say that wrestling is definetely a martial art, but it's effectiveness depends on the person.

10. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

You do a double leg and drop him on his head, I don't care if your on a mat in a ring or on the mean streets of New York, you will knock him out whe his head meets the floor with force. So I'd say you could use it to defend against someone, sure.

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

That is the same for every Martial art, I have seen Tai chi people who have been great in a ruck and karate, boxing and kung fu guys who could not fight sleep.

12. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

If wrestling and boxing aren't martial arts just because they are sports, then i guess TKD, kickboxing, judo, etc. aren't martial arts, either.

As for "clean and safe"... it has rules, but people still get hurt (knocked out, broken bones, bloody noses, etc). Being cross-faced hard hurts more than anything in light contact sparring.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

to take it further, i'd say that catch as catch can wrestling is a martial art. so why wouldn't it's safer variation be a martial art. wrestling is a martial art.

14. pseudo999

pseudo999 New Member

Though taught as a sport, wrestling is clearly, obviously, and easily applicable as a martial art. No doubt about it. No questions asked. Everything you learn in wrestling can be quickly and seemlessly modified into powerful self-defense, from techniques to training methodology.

As for striking being a non-issue, multiple opponents, weapons, no rules, and terrain can all make striking the method of choice. For most MMA tournaments, rules include no eye gouging, no scratching, no biting, no pressure points, no headbutts, and no attacks to the groin, not to mention no weapons, no rocks on the ground, and no multiple attackers. Without such rules, grappling would be much less attractive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im going to say it again. wrestling, like all grappling arts, is about controlling the opponents body. just because you can wrestle does not mean that in a confrontation you have to dive headfirst into your 6 attackers and roll around in the glass and lava.

16. Stolenbjorn

I'll say somthing again as well then: Tell your theory on wresteling to the drug addict that one of my pupils broke the arm on some weeks ago using wresteling-techiques! If you're not convinced about wresteling can be used to beat most other sports, try seeing some freefight-matches, and watch wrestlers dislocating arms and legs of kickboxers, karatedudes etc.... "controlling your opponents body can just as easily be done by breaking it and folding it together as by beeing nice, stopping pressing when things start to hurt."

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you do realise that I agreed with you right? I'm assuming english isnt your first language.

18. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I would say Greco Roman Wrestling is a Martial arts style because its a named and specificly defined style of fighting

19. Stolenbjorn

You asume right :) It was all that about diving into stuff that got me confused :Angel: