Is training boxing in a blindfold common at all?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Morik, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I came across this:

I have a couple questions that maybe people here can help with:
    1) This is some pre-arranged pattern that she memorized, right? (To know when to slip strikes.)
    2) What benefits, if any, would this drill impart compared to doing it without the blindfold?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's a memory test - nice trick, but that's about it

I suppose you could make an argument for visceral response programming, but than can work against you as much as for you

Knee Rider and David Harrison like this.
  3. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I have only seen one instance of a blindfolded boxing match and that was for fun rather than a actual serious comptetion. And what hannibal put above.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Maybe for fun.

I've closed my eyes grappling a few times. To me that makes a bit more sense, due to the smothering and feeling where everything is etc...

Latikos and axelb like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Purely a good test of a rehearsed pattern.
    I've seen a few times where a pro boxer will look away at the camera whilst doing pad work.

Reminds me of my dad's shotokan stories from training in the 60s;
    One day the sensei turned up to class whilst everyone was warming up, turned the lights off, then shouted "hajime".

A short while later he turned it back on to a number of students with broken noses and black eyes.

I'm not sure what the take away lesson was from that.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

We did that in Judo once as well.

I actually liked it, because it made you use the other senses in a way, seeing people usually just don't do.

We did it rather slowly actually: One partner would be blindfolded, and had to do a certain throw; paying attention - as good as possible - to get into the correct position nonetheless.
    The other one wasn't blindfolded, so (s)he could pay attention not to get thrown in any others.

I'd love to do that again!
    Same with groundfighting; I think it's a rather interesting experience, and with grappling arts also possibly, because most really can be sensed, due to the partners movement.

Mushroom likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Only time it might be beneficial would be when you're in the pocket. The constant contact getting used to bobbing and weaving blindly etc

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Probably rehearsed pattern judging by the movement.

Another possibility is that the dark lettering on the blindfold is actually hiding holes she can see through.

Or magic gifted by the Lord Of Light. :)

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  9. neems

neems Valued Member

I know a bloke who gets his students to wear a big alien mask/helmet that limits your vision during some sparring drills.
    Never done it but he's a good coach so it must have some use.

Either that or he just wants to see someone getting beat up in an alien mask.

10. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Probably a bit of both, keep your eyes open for "fighting off an Alien invasion with my fists" on Youtube in the future. :p

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sparring without vision goes one of two ways:

You hear them coming and clinch to grapple before they hit you.

Or, more usually:

You get clipped and then know where they are from the contact in order to clinch and grapple.