Is this Krav Maga school any good

Discussion in 'Discussion on Schools and Teachers' started by jazpds, Jan 16, 2019.

1. jazpds

jazpds New Member

I've been to a Krav Maga class close to me for a short time now. I really enjoy it and my girlfriend wants to come along. We do a lot of knife work and boxing but not so much what I would think would be self defence against other things.new people start quite regularly but don't tend to come back or they do a few lessons and then are gone. What should I expect from a Krav Maga class as I'm getting older so don't really have much time or energy to leave finding somewhere else

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's up to you. Firstly, do you enjoy the classes? That's most important. What are your other goals in martial arts? Just for fun or do you want something more.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

In my experience, Kraft Maga training can range from awesome to awful. This is true for most martial arts, but Krav seems to have particularly high variation in quality between schools.

Could you post a link to the school’s website?

If you’re not comfortable posting that, then an idea of which Krav Maga organisation it falls under and the instructor’s grade would be helpful to know. A ‘Commando Krav Maga’ instructor might have had just three days training! An IKMF Graduate grade instructor should be decent and an IKMF Expert grade instructor should be excellent.

I wouldn’t knock doing a lot of boxing - it’s a great foundation and many self-defence situations can occur in boxing range.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Mitch likes this.
  4. jazpds

jazpds New Member

I have done Krav Maga before for around 6 months but the instructor left because he was on deployment in the navy. Shortly after I joined this place, I find this instructor explains better but tends to do too much knife work. Went tonight and it was great

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Just moving this thread because I think its original location was causing all of the replies to go into the manual moderation queue!

6. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I think you’ve answered your own question. If you enjoy it, then stick with it!

7. jazpds

jazpds New Member

It's group is CKMI, combat Krav Maga international. I was just worried because even though I'm enjoying it, why do so many people come and go, I thought I was missing something that others are thinking red flags are popping up. I love the boxing, I've done many other martial arts but for one reason or another I left, mainly because I didn't feel confident that if something did kick off that I could look after myself if needed where this place I honestly feel I could. For example not having hands down by side, having them up by chest in non threatening manner to be that little extra prepared, or watching body language.ive done ITA taekwondo which I believe is the British version of ATA TAEKWONDO. When I went to other TKD schools they wouldn't recognise it.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you enjoy it, that's great, if you want to see how good the boxing is, go to a boxing school, or FMA for the knife work.

9. jazpds

jazpds New Member

i looked online at boxing basics after that lesson, slipping,leaning back and it's pretty much spot on, the muai Thai with leg kicks again spot on.id like to do tournaments but don't really know how to go about it

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you want to compare, go to some actual classes of other arts like boxing etc, it's too easily to fool yourself via video.

11. jazpds

jazpds New Member

I think I might just do that, I get every Wednesday off but work a lot, I have a week off in February so might look at a few places just for comparing.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I think, if you really want to attend in tournaments, you should actually train the art in question.
    Nor for "romantic" reasons, but because that training will just focus on that art and that art alone.

StooXex, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.