IS this karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by coolpoosa, Dec 13, 2005.

1. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

Im very new to the whole martial art thing. I've recently joined some martial art club and im not sure what sort of style they teach. I know i can just ask one of the teachers but i never get the chance to because the place is very crowded. It invloves a bit of sparring and i have to do all of these "forms". Its like dancing sort of but with chops and punches. Theres stuff like 8 elbow strikes and something called a hidden flower movement with your hands. I put it in KARATE assuming it was karate, but i just want to make sure (the uniform is black, im not sure if that will help but just added it anyway).

PS: On the badge of the place it says "COP DEN DO" is this anything? I looked it up in google and didnt get much, so i assume its just a name

2. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

My googling comes up with -

http://www.nationalallstyles.com.au/tournament-results/vicrd2-05-tourna-results.php

"Vu Le ...........A Master in his martial arts style of Cop-Den-Do Black Tiger freestyle Karate, Vu is a fifth Dan with over 15 years of training and experience"

It sounds like your style is this "Master Vu Le's" own form of freestyle karate. Haven't a clue if its any good or what his MA pedigree is. If the club is well-run, not a rip-off, has quality instruction and you enjoy training there then its probably OK. However, the name alone would make me suspect McDojo, but perhaps I'm wrong..........? You could try the freestyle forum and see if the guys there have heard of Vu Le. He does film work which may or may not be a good thing, depending on whether he is a good instructor himself or whether he has good instructors working for him.

3. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

wow i didn't know he was IN A MOVIE!! anyway thanks for the info

4. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

man do u live in australia coz i do and this link is for a farely large multi style competition

5. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

yeah i live in australia