Is this chi?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by travelguy90, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My new word - Tensegrity - explains chi

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Tensegrity, I like it.

3. Hannibal

Actually it was Rebo Paing who "gave" me the word - (I use to use "body sychronicity", but that was technically incorrect) - which is a more complete description of what i also called "good mechanics"

Every Tai Chi/Pa Kua/Hsing video I have seen of the legendary Masters shows this same thing and how people can believe in some mystical BS where there is a rational and complete explanation elsewhere baffles me

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Don't knock it - I'm working on setting up a cult of my own.

5. Hannibal

I'm in!

6. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Condensing breathing is where the qi is packed into the bones.On the out breath the feeling is that of compressing the bones.After a while the body becomes very warm.

Hannibal wrote
    Lam Kam Chuan used that word years ago when talking about yiquan bio-mechanics.

Lik Bunnyrabbit wrote
    Perhaps you would care to provide real evidence that it is nothing special.A valid test would be to wrap yourself in wet sheets on the shore of a Lake District tarn at nightime in November.If you manage to dry one by dawn you will be doing very well.In fact you would be doing well if you survived the experiment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

:bang: Evidence that this magical qi is compressible please, or exists, or can be packed into bones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensegrity

It's Lil.

And no, that's not a valid test. I accept and acknowledge that it requires practice, but I disagree that there's anything magical about it. My point was that the human body's heat generation is impressive enough to explain this without resorting to superstition.

8. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Putrid: Condensing breathing.... Hah! Doesn't really make you warm.... makes you tremble uncontrollably and feels like an electric shock. Don't tell me qi isn't real!

Bunnyrabbit: That's not really a good arguement, that boiling water thing. It isn't even in the same ballpark. But hey, I'm not gonna argue.

Wim Hof... do a lil research. Then try and recreate the experiments yourself. Let me know how you do?

By "subtleties" I meant "Subtitles". Don't watch a hong kong flick without em'!

The thing about the wet sheets.... yeah that happened at Harvard in 85. Human pyrogens and la dee da dee da doesn't explain how these men are able to withstand such extreme temperatures. There are things that we don't understand and ridiculing those who are curious just makes you look scared of the unknown. No doubt this will instigate a flurry of insults. Rolling back, then...

I'm well aware of how the sodium potassium pump works in nerve stimulation. It IS chemical, right on! But its chemical electrical stimulation. We are electrical creatures with wires and everything! Ions are CHARGED particles, remember? So when your hands tremble because the nerves have reached their maximum potential without causing any movement (by focusing and breathing, mind you... how neat!!!!:eek:).... you're smart. You know what I'm talking about.

I guess Tenzen Gyasto is a cult leader then. Hmmm. I thought Hinayana was a venerated tradition of hard sought mind cultivation. Guess 10,000 years of tradition's been for naught. Back to the old drawing board.

Somebody give me a dollar. I've wasted too much time on this thread not to be paid.....

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Can I tell you that qi is nothing mystical or magical, just natural biology and biomechanics?

So the fact that someone can not only survive, but be quite comfortable and suffer no short-term damage after staying in a room with an air temperature hot enough to boil water doesn't impress you with the body's ability to maintain homeostasis in extreme conditions?

But attributing it to mystic nonsense and refusing to do any scientific testing and research hardly helps things. Mumbo-jumbo superstition used to explain lightning and crops growing - fortunately we grew out of that.

Actually my hands tremble constantly unless I focus on keeping them still - nothing to worry about though as it's something which has been in my family for at least three generations that we know of. Again though, nothing mystical about it.

Hmm. I'm gonna step out of this one as religious debates tend to get angry fast. However, tradition has nothing to do with whether something is real or not.

I should start charging for this stuff, but I enjoy it far too much.

10. Hannibal

You - as in human perception - is the worst possible indicator of a phenomena

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjoKhBklYg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjoKhBklYg[/ame]

Qi is real...it just isn't anything mystical and it is time people stopped believing in it as such

11. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

13. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

if you still can breathe, that means you have chi. Agree?

14. Hannibal

Would that include someone with emphysema? Hardly a ringing endorsement if it does

15. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

You get it, man. Even a person with emphysema still had chi

16. Hannibal

Then chi is worthless by that definition

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

You've assumed chi exists, assumed that it's tied in with breathing, then asked the question above. Before you can make the assertion that breathing = you have chi, you need to provide credible evidence that chi exists. You then need to provide evidence that someone breathing means they have chi. If you can do both of those, then and only then will the question above will be a sensible one.

18. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

well, it is funny. but in chinese, to have chi means to be alive. Chi means air, breathing originally. Chi in kungfu practice, actually is kind of inner energy, not the chi we are breathing.

Chi is there according to chinese Yin-yang theary, so, if you practice kungfu or not ,chi is in your body. If you are alive, you have chi in your body (here, it is the inner energy), chi is like the blood, no blood cirvulation, you die, no chi, you die as well.

It is nothing more than a concept in philosophy, if you ask me what is the chi. forget chi, if you do want to practice kungfu. Most beginners felt they got the feeling of chi when they learned the kungfu, especially those so called inner style, That is a trick, man, absolutely you could not trust that. It is just a feeling of you, it is just like somebody claim that the God talks to them when they meditate.

19. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

building on what wu2wu says....

practicing ch'i exercises like condensing breathing help cultivate the inner energy ch'i. regular practice will yeild their own results independent of science attempts to measure what (my best guess) is an extremely subtle "wave-length" like radiation or sound or light.

Gravity is an unmeasurable force: we measure it's effects, not the "energy of gravity" itself. We have theories of how it works, but no one knows what "it" is.

Dark matter, blah blah blah. Listen you fools: saints and miracles do exist: I have witnessed inexplicable things that you would never believe. All I can say is with practice and inner stillness you'll find peace and understanding.

I'm getting out of here, this forum is second rate. :hat:

20. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

Taiji Lou, Do not need to be upset. Sometimes I do not believe Chi, sometimes I do. I Practice NeiKung, and meditation. I study buddism. I do not care if it exists. The buddhism helps me a lot. some super natural ability, if you have, it means nothing to a buddhism, there are much more important things for you to achieve, so, always leave the level you reached and move to next one. In certain levels, you feel so good and you wish to keep it as long as you could. It is not a right way to do so. Buddhist guru told me.

But, to be honest, for beginners, the feeling of chi is not real. When you keep practice, the feeling disappears. If it is real, it will be stronger and stronger, could not be disappeared.

With time, you will feel another feeling of the inner energy. That is the real chi. It follows some fixed routes, but they are not those you can find in books. The routes of yours may very differnet to others. As well, when you punch, you feel chi full of your fist, even certain part of your fist. amazing.

My point is, do not focus on the chi practice, focus on what you do. another suggustion here is, if you have the feeling of chi is not important, with time, everybody will feel it,absolutely. those who can catch the feeling very fast usually are unhealthy and weak persons. Agree or not, it is my understanding

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011