Is this chi?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by travelguy90, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sat nicely next to rinderpest and hopefully soon to be joined by polio. :)

2. Black41

Black41 Click Clack Blaow!

Came across this recently, thought it was timely

"You have a cough?* Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax - tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough."* ~Pearl Williams

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As in you think we are talking *****?

4. Black41

No man, just thought it was pretty funny. Look we all have things to learn from each other's perspective, thought a little humor would lighten it up a bit.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm not buying it - invasive surgery is not used for treatment of kidney stones except as a last resort. It is only in one case in twenty (and only with large kidney stones) that this is done. For uric acid stones, they recommend drinking a lot of water and have certain medicines to help dissolve it - ones which make your urine more alkaline. Something to make your urine acidic (citrus, say) wouldn't help.

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Assuming that you are correct.... Will you kindly stop posting ACCURATE FACTS - we don't want no facts :) :) :)

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean look at this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14930747

What are the providers of western medicine thinking!?!?!
    Halving infant death!!? And not even using chi to do it?
    Perhaps if they used chi or TCM they'd get rid of infant death altogether?
    Western medicine is clearly doing something wrong there.

8. Black41

I don't know all the ingredients in the concoction but it did work and did help. And yes they were going to perform surgery but he sought alternative treatment. After all what's the harm in trying something natural?

Here is something in regards to why lack of support for CAM which can be found on Mayo Clinic site:

"One reason for the lack of research in complementary and alternative treatments is that large, carefully controlled medical studies are costly. Trials for conventional medications or procedures are often directly or indirectly funded by the government or drug companies, giving conventional treatments more resources to do studies. CAM trials are more difficult to fund, so there are fewer trials."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alternative-medicine/PN00001/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Pharmaceutical companies make more money of pills they sale than they ever could profit from natural remedies.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nonsense. The profit margin on homeopathy is huge. It's basically just water and (slim possibility) a trace of some supposed active agent. If it could be proven to work the pharmaceutical companies would be all over it by now - they'd make a killing.

That's just looking at homeopathy of course. Manufacturing drugs is, no matter what you might believe, expensive. Researching them is even more expensive. If there were a shred of evidence that they could instead rely on a few herbs that're grown in a greenhouse, some needles and a bit of hand-wavium then I guarantee you that GlaxoSmithKline would be touting the benefits of buying their new specially diluted nettle tea homeopathic remedy - only £9.99 per dose.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Again...that's not the full picture. Trials of CAM go on all the time.
    Randomising costs nothing.
    Blinding often costs nothing.
    What CAM practitioners lack isn't money (homeopathy company Boiron making profits of about 20 million euros a year for example) but often just basic scientific knowledge and the faintest idea on how to run a proper trial (or more than likely know that a properly run trial would come out negative and further damage their standing).

Further...there's no point plowing money into treatments that you know won't work by just applying basic common sense and already established science.
    Homeopathy cannot and will never work whether we trial it or not.

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Hate to contradict you friend:

I used ch'i to treat a 2nd degree burn on my hand. I burned it in the dishwashing unit of my apartment; on the little rack that gets really hot during the try cycle. It wasn't a very big burn, but it did blister up. However, I meditated on the area for hours, and within 1 full day it was completely healed.

You're also throwing away the piles of evidence surrounding the posisitive effects that qigong has in treating cancer patients. Meditation and qigong also have worked very well for depression patients, anxiety patients, and patients with PTSD.

Also, acupuncture workes as a local anesthesia by inhibiting nerves and whatnot.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Rubbish.

Who diagnosed the burn as 2nd degree?

Next time it happens take a photo. Make sure you stand next to a newspaper with the date on it for evidence. Immediately post the picture on MAP, then do the same again the next day. if you cannot do this you are taking rubbish.

Have you informed James Randi of your great skill? There is a million dollar prize if you can prove this claim.

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've had nasty wounds healing quickly - what's that got to do with it? No chi required - the body is good at putting itself back together.

What evidence? Find me some please. Anything where they've used purely magic and no actual medicine will be counted as reliable.

Psychological disorders cured through psychological means? Stunning.

Evidence?

14. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Hey man..... your saying "rubbish" is rubbish. One man's rubbish is another mans lawn furniture.

find your own evidence! :p Quit asking me to do your homework for you!

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Why? You're making the claim.

16. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Sure, but once the claim has been made, I've said my piece. If you don't believe me, or if you really are interested in finding evidence there's a wealth of it on the internet.

For starters, punch "bonghan ducts" into your search engine. Then marvel at the splendor that is Taiji Lou.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Have you ever tried using the same technique on your brain?

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Strange how the only research into them seems to be in order to desperately find some sort of mechanism for how accupuncture isn't wrong - no independent papers or studies come up on a quick search. I only bothered reading one paper, which gave no actual evidence for them being linked to magic - just that they existed in the first place.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

20. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Hey, that's cute and everything, but it's still just idle jackassery.

That's fine, we can't have a debate if you've already won. But saying things like there's no soul and there's no ch'i and there's no God just makes you look like an idiot in my opinion. If you've never had a supernatural experience then you just are who you are with your opinions and that's totally cool.

But you know something.... in a tai chi forum you're more likely to run into people who have religious beliefs, I'd think. And what is ch'i? Ch'i is obviously lots of things to lots of people.