is this book okey?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mugen Zero, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

the title of the book is called the anatomy of martial arts an illustrated guide to muscles used in key kicks, strikes & throws by Dr. Norman Link and Lily Chou. I was thinking of building my warm up based on this book. i knwo you recommended the gymless book Hannibal but i was also wondering whether this book will do too.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Never heard of it, but all knowledge can be of assistance to you - just ensure that what you are looking at suits yoru purposes.

For me NG is pretty much definitive, but I own a metric poopload of other books on the subject too

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

so far the book is okey but the only problem so far is that, although they have listed down a list of exercises to exercise the specific muscles use for the specific technique it doesn't say how many times or recommend any number of times to that particular exercise. what do you normally do at this stage hannibal?

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Do you have access to a weight training gym or a personal trainer? It sounds like you might need some basic training fundamentals. A personal trainer can show you how to do exercises properly and how to target specific muscle groups. Once you have been training for a while, you will have a better understanding of your body " how many times or recommend any number of times to that particular exercise" will become obviously. For me its a little difficult to explain online especially since I dont know what your body type is, what physical shape your in or what exercises you doing and what muscle groups they are targeting. There are a lot of factors.

Anyways, I wish I could be more help, but it's something I was shown and experience threw training with guidance. I have no idea how I could begin to explain something like this which is why I think a personal trainer would be an asset to you, kinda like a Sifu for martial arts.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

hmm i'll do that immediately. thanks thumbs up

6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I love the series of these books. You do need at least a basic concept of weight trainng to make any use of them.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Tbh these books might show you which muscles work in what movement so you can develop strength in those muscles but from an S&C point of view, it's highly likely that 90% of people reading that book need to be much stronger in general not specifically.

8. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

so it probably won't work if my arms are like noodles Zaad?

9. Mangosteen

or if your legs or any other part are like noodles.

60% of your training time should be in the sport/martial art you participate in and 40% should be general strength training.

as you get closer to a competition you should start narrowing down your training so that 80% of your training is specific to your sport and 20% is general strength training.

if you aren't doing any martial arts at the moment or only minimal (once or twice a week) then you should be doing much more general strength training.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Is this why for first routines people tend not to give you detailed plans but say like, do deadlifts, chin ups and one or two other things?

11. Mangosteen

its hard to give detailed routines to someone who plays another sport.

and deadlifts, squats, chin ups and floor/bench/overhead pressing provide the best strength adaptions and will be good for later development.

if i gave you 16 exercises (like mens fitness routines) then you would have 16 movements to learn and would probably not make much progress in any of them. if i gave you 4 exercises, you could make improvements quickly in them even training them only twice a week.

my main advice is do general strength training after your martial arts class (later that day or the next day) but avoid before (earlier that day or a day before).

e.g.
    monday - bjj (or BJJ and lifting but im knackered after bjj so go light)
    tuesday - rest
    wednesday - bjj
    thursday - lifting
    friday - rest
    saturday - lifting
    sunday - rest

12. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

makes sense (thumbs up)