Is this a McDojo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by newgymer1981, Oct 31, 2018.

1. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

No I meant that most of the instructors listed are blue belts (one black belt), but then the guy teaching me was wearing a brown belt? I don't understand why they wouldn't advertise that.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Probably/maybe a brown belt in karate?
    There are some places offering different arts where the belts might not be the same?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wouldn't train anywhere where a blue belt is an instructor.

axelb and Vince Millett like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Kids these days...I remember when all you could get was a blue belt in bjj as an instructor and we were glad to have them. :)

(My bjj instructor was a blue belt when I first started training with him)

5. Godzilladude123

Godzilladude123 New Member

I cant really say if the problem lies in the school or in the teacher. Like what the others day, the dojo does have some face validity in it with its site and all, but that wierd guy with the brown belt looks creepy trying to ask if you are with someone. It could be a case of a legit martial arts school who has a local branch being run by a moron.

6. Godzilladude123

Godzilladude123 New Member

I cant really say if the problem lies in the school or in the teacher. Like what the others say, the dojo does have some face validity in it with its site and all, but that wierd guy with the brown belt looks creepy trying to ask if you are with someone. It could be a case of a legit martial arts school who has a local branch being run by a moron.

7. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Thanks. I decided not to join. I think they are legit, but too many red flags. Didn't feel right.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Cool man. You'll find somewhere that fits you better.

9. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Just too many negatives.

Too traditional (asking to bow after you leave the mat, not being allowed on the mat until teacher says so, referring to coaches as Sensei) and also the instructor just bugged me.

10. Pretty In Pink

I mean, I always wait at the door to be invited in if I'm late for class or if I left and then came back. I also call my instrcutor "Sir" although to be fair he has insisted on first name basis since I started there. I just have a habit of saying "sir" instead.

11. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

I get that. I also understand bowing at the end of class but wanted something less formal. Did I mention the instructor bled on me? I saw it on the gi afterwards and it was a lot.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Those 'negatives' are pretty common in martial arts so good luck finding somewhere without any of that. People using titles like sensei is becoming less common.
    Kind of odd you say the 'coaches' wanted to be called 'sensei. What's the difference between calling them 'coach' or 'sensei? There're cultural underpinnings to the word sensei but really it's no different than the word 'coach'.
    Bowing when entering and leaving the mat or dojo seems pretty common and I can understand an instructor wanting some formality on who's on or off the mat.
    What was the bleeding situation about? Getting bled on happens. The odd scratch, scrape, busted nose, bleeding lip, torn nail, etc. Had plenty of session where it ends with 'hunt the bleeder' because someone has an injury they didn't notice and the only clues are spots of blood on uniforms. :)
    Maybe a boxing or wrestling gym would be a good fit?

H2Oman, Thomas, Travess and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

What Smitfire said. There are warning signs but those aren't it. A little blood also goes a long way when it comes to colouring a gi or t shirt.

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

hahaha hunt the bleeder (that's usually me in the gym): was that from be or you? or 2 partners ago.

Smitfire and Travess like this.
  15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

NEVER an issue at my club, because it is ALWAYS the same 'bloody' guy - I usually, when possible, give his previous partners Gi a quick visual once over, before pairing up with him.

Travess

axelb likes this.