Is this a McDojo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by newgymer1981, Oct 31, 2018.

1. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

So I'm wondering if this place is a McDojo All Canadian Martial Arts | ACMA.

I did the "trial lesson" for $20 and honestly it wasn't that bad (a bit of kickboxing and BJJ).

Here are some things I found weird though:

1. The instructor I received was not listed on the company's website.
    2. As I watched their 1 hour karate class, almost 30 minutes was warm up stuff.
    3. When I asked the instructor how long he has taught at the academy, he went off on some tangent about getting beat up by the owner or something. I asked him again in the change room and he never really answered the question (like he never said, 10 years or so, he kept diverting the question).
    4. During the middle of session, I asked him how to tie my belt because it came off and then he asked if I was married or had a girlfriend. That was odd.

Honestly, #1 can be chopped up to not being very Internet savvy (though if he's been there for a long time, his name should be on the website), #2 can be my inexperience with karate and #3 and #4 can be just weird personality.

However this one, #5, really worried me. He said "if you have problems in here, come tell us and what happens here stays in here. We'll handle our own problems and don't need to go outside for it". To me, this says "listen, don't bad mouth us even if you don't like it".

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Was he dressed like this? If so it is most definitely a McDojos

[​IMG]

I can't tell you if it is a McDojos or not without actually going to check out the school for myself.

. Do they require a contract? Do they spar? Are they involved with competitions outside of the school does anyone compete outside of the school? Do the other students look like they understand the material?

Talk with the head instructor about your concerns.

I'm sure there are others here that could help you as well or possibly have experience with the school

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The site/school boasts some legitimately qualified instructors so it passes the initial smell test, although there are a lot of titles and honorifics on the page that give slight whiff of concern (Renshi etc..)

What was the name of the guy who taught the class?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's certainly raising a lot of red flags but what you learn may still be OK. Being charged for a trial lesson is an odd one to me. Most trial lessons are free anywhere I've trained at.

5. Hannibal

It is a newer practice and to be honest I am going to be starting it myself in the new year, but it is more applicable to full time dojos/kwoons rather than hall rentals

I currently offer a free week but even though that is a lot of classes it is still not enough to make it habitual - starting January it will be a full month of unlimited classes for $30 (about 15 quid) so it becomes a "paid trial" for the month. That way the "tire kickers" can pay to waste my time and those who are genuinely interested get a much better deal on the membership for their first month and save money

axelb, Thomas and Dead_pool like this.
  6. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

No, he wasn't dressed as Ronald. I don't think they require a contract. From what the guy said, I think they do spar, but not until you are ready. When I asked about competition, I think they do, but I can't see them listed in any BJJ tournaments in our area.

7. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

I don't want to give out the name of the person because it still is a business. Is it odd that that most them are BJJ blue belts and only one black belt? The guy who was instructing was wearing a brown belt.

8. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Yeah, I know a lot of places have free one week trials. However, I've seen some legit gyms in my area doing paid trials these days for two weeks to a month. Anywhere between $20 to $30. I think this makes sense. My annoyance right now is only one free class and the other two are private lessons, which doesn't give me a good indication of what to expect during normal classes.

9. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Also, since this seems to be getting more traction than my other posts in another thread, is this a McDojo?

Krav Maga, Muay Thai & MMA Training Centre - Elite Martial Arts

It has Muay Thai and Krav Maga. I'm looking to train two arts/self-defence and the positive aspect is this place seems to realize Muay Thai is very effective as well and that Krav Maga is not the be all, end all.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I know the MA business is changing but the norm for me has always been one free lesson just to see if you might like it. Then a pay as you train thereafter.
    My current place was one free lesson (the first one) then pay per session for the first month and then direct debit from there.
    Got absolutely nothing against trial sign ups, special offers for the first month etc.
    But I'd be wary of anywhere that wanted money for the first lesson but getting paid after that is obviously fine.
    The first post makes it sound like you had to pay $20 just to try it once?

11. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Yeah $20 for two private lessons and one trial class. They haven't tried to sell me on private lessons, but if that happens, then I'm out.

12. Hannibal

That's actually a good deal - privates can be hella expensive!

H2Oman likes this.
  13. Hannibal

Well you did name the business already so....... :)

14. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Yeah, true....I didn't know any other way to do it though, but the instructor was not listed on there. Now, if he says something during our next class, I'll know enough. :)

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Really hard to say. Honestly for simplicity I'd say that if you didn't like the vibe then don't stick around. There will be other good places to train.

axelb, Thomas and Dead_pool like this.
  16. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Also, if you are a white belt for BJJ and it's your first class, do the existing members take it easy on you or do they see you as "fresh meat"? Trying to gauge this.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on the gym. To be honest though you shouldn't even be rolling on your first class. Some of our lot wait for up to a few months before they roll without restriction. If they went hard on you then definitely would avoid.

axelb likes this.
  18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s odd. As a newbie, I’d be more than happy to be taught BJJ by a brown belt.

axelb likes this.
  19. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

I haven't had the group class yet. Just the private that's included. They said 1-2 months of basics before you can enter the All levels class.

20. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

I'm actually very conflicted. In terms of what they are saying and the techniques, I thought it was legitimate (though I know nothing about BJJ, but know enough about striking).

Also, I do see a couple of members in tournament listings.

What's concerning is they also have lots of signs of a McDojo as well (lots of trophies, and the titling).