is this a good way to work out??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by matt271, Apr 13, 2007.

1. matt271

matt271 New Member

i just started working out at the y with a friend. his brother was a big guy, football player. so my friend copied his brothers workout. then when i started working out, i just did w/e he did.
    now that i dont work out w/ anyone, i starting trying to develop my own work out.
    now i have a broken right arm, so i am trying to work out my left as much as i can to make up for it. what i do is a set of 12 reps of as much weight as i can, then a second set of 20 reps w/ 5lbs less. i figure it should build mussle, but still allow me to keep it up. i had heard its better to do more reps of lighter weight if your in the martial arts. i do curls and backward curls and all that.
    as for my legs i just balance on one foot and go onto my toes and back down until my heel almost touches the ground and back up again. i try to do this 200-300 times on each foot, i like how it makes my calfs feel (i think thats what the mussel's called).
    and for abs i try to do 20 full sit ups then 100 crunches, but some days its too hard, i dont know why. i have a bit of a guy i am trying to start working off, but i like to eat.
    i do all this randomly through out the day. probably 5-10 times a day.
    i am more interested in grappling, but i want some strength for striking.
    so is this a good way to work out?? is there something more i should do?? i dont have a full weight set, just 1 of those single hand bars.

2. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Not really...
    Your reps are too high, and your not doing enough sets, it is not better to do lighter weight if your doing martial arts.
    <5 reps = strength/power
    6-12=hypertrophy (mass)
    12+= enduranace
    This is pretty general...in most cases martial artists would want to build as much strength/power as they can, endurance can be easily done during MA training.

Curls are also pretty useless, to build strength you need to perform compound movements such as squats and deadlifts. Since you only have one dumbell, you can do stuff like:
    - lunges and variations
    -dumbell overhead presses
    - dumbell rows
    -dumbell bench
    -dumbell snatches
    -one legged deadlift

On top of that you can find somewhere to hang off and do pullups, or get two chairs or something and do dips.

For your abs, you could always grab a plate and do them weighted, 100 crunches is too much. On top of that you can do side bends, windmills, or hanging leg raises.It sounds like you are trying to lose your gut by doing crunches, that would be called spot reduction and it doesnt work. If you want to lose the gut sort out your diet first.