Is there such a thing as Shaolin kung fu?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by franksv, Aug 1, 2006.

1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Its been a strange last half year.Have a friend from my tkd days that picked up yang tai chi and has been pestering me to trade material(hsing-I).Met a guy at my church that also does hsing-I and is teaching me the animals,which my first hsing-I teacher does not have as he is a liu ho pa fa guy with a minor in hsing-I.Which my first hsing-I teacher is a senoir student and teaches me in his backyard,no official school.Met a friend of my second hsing-I teacher that does choy li fut and also asked about trading material,which I think is odd cuz his friend(my 2nd hsing-I) teacher knows way more then I do.Was walking my dogs this past weekend and ran into the shaolin fellow wrapping up his training by the lake and struck up a long conversation.Make sense?

For the first 18 months I was doing kf,I never ran into another soul that did kf,now I have quite a few guys that want to train.When it rains it pours.

2. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Wow, your teacher knows liu ho pa fa (six harmonies, eight methods, or more coloquially "water boxing")? Now that's worth learning! I'm not sure if you've asked him about it but much like Xing-I it's a combat oriented internal style, and its about as rare as owl's teeth. If that's his primary style I'd say you may want to consider learning it from him, it could be great training. Be well.

3. franksv

franksv Valued Member

To be honest,I don't think he really wants to teach it.Which is fine,we have developed a friendship that goes beyond ma.I am kinda getting tired of never having that elusive thing yet,the same stuff I don't have any clue as to what he is talking about.Don't get me wrong,I hold a high standard too,I am just not a perfectionist on his level and I have a life outside of kf.

see this thread
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56392

Its all good though,we will still remain close(he lives two doors down)I also enjoy his whacky company all kf aside.

4. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Turns out my shaolin friend learned his style in a park district format somewhere in New York back in the late 90's.He learned the foundational stuff/first basic form and then the instuctor moved away,resulting in the end of the program.He had formal training for about a year.He continued to train on his own and got the rest of the material from books/videos includding the one the link was posted for earlier.Just the fact that he leveled with me I think speaks volumes,I m still going to meet up to train with him.

5. JaiReef

JaiReef Valued Member

they also say "when the pupil is ready, the teacher appears" :)

6. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Yes,but in my case,which one to choose?Or atleast train with. :D :confused: :bang: :cry: ;)

Either way,I am happy and on my way with hsing-I,I could stick with that for a long time before getting bored.Maybe even the rest of my life. ;)

7. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

no doubt, but for your own good.. Learn Bagua. and Taiji if you can hack it.

8. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I gave yang tai chi a shot and just could'nt get into how slow it was.For me I felt like I was doing some kinda yoga instead of a martial art.

I d love to do bagua,but where we live there is really not much kf of any sort near by.I think that is why so many kf guys are looking to trade material around here.