Is there hope for KS?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, Jun 6, 2012.

1. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Just saw a picture of Steve Seo ( relative ) to In Hyuk Suh who is NOT in the WKSA but he was training in Barry Harmons school and wearing both his normal uniform and a WKSA uniform and belt.

Does this mean that the WKSA is opening up to thought of reaching out to all of us "renegade" schools? Does it mean that they realize that they may need to embrace the fact that others can do it without big brother?

OR: is it just that what ever the high ranking masters want to do they can because they do not have to follow the rules like everyone else?

Just asking?
    :evil:

2. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

I'd heard that the brothers had overcome past disagreaments.

This is a good thing. All the best to the Suh / Seo Clan.

3. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I hope you are right! I would love to see more BROTHERHOOD between all KS clans.:evil:

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Where did you see that picture? Is it something that anyone can see?

5. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I am "friends" with Master Seo and it is on his FB page. I do not want to disrespect Master Seo by copying them here with out his permission. Jade, Emerald and all of the Harmon clan looks great! I wish them all the best.

:evil:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

Reconciling with and welcoming close relatives does not mean high ranking masters are doing whatever they want. Insinuating that high ranking masters do not have to follow the rules because you saw some random picture on facebook is pretty disrespectful. Oh wait, you say you don't want to be disrespectful...:eek:

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I was under the impression that the "training with" bit was the key issue here, not the "reconciling and welcoming". Isn't training with people from other school/styles banned?

8. VegasMichelle

There is something not being mentioned. The WKSA is planning for a large contingent to visit Korea in 2013. While the 2 GMs (brothers) have gone separate ways, there has never really been a fight between the cousins. This fact, through FB photos, is being exploited.

9. Kurtka Jerker

Okay. So it's cool to cross train between the two groups?

10. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Black belts in Kuk Sool Won are not to train with or share techniques with anyone from any other martial art or group, or words to that effect. I saw this document first hand when I got my black belt and then decided to leave kuk sool to concentrate on my judo.

11. VegasMichelle

Who is crosstraining?

12. VegasMichelle

Herbo, have you personally seen or have heard of anyone being kicked out because of this?

Did you REALLY leave kuk sool BECAUSE of this document? Or did you simply find something else you like doing more?

13. Kurtka Jerker

Are you saying that this isn't true? I don't know if it is or not. If you do, you should just say so. If you do not, the attempt to justify something that may or may not have happened while skirting the actual question of whether it did or not doesn't help your case. Just an outsider's perspective.

14. VegasMichelle

What are you talking about? The Master in question has been practicing KS for a very long time. The implication was that he is from a different group, which is not completely correct. Remember, he pre-dates the split. The KKSA is still the Korean part of the WKSA.

All the policies you are trying to pidgeonhole onto this individual Master is a recent thing.

15. Kurtka Jerker

Ah, my bad. I was under the impression that they were from different groups and that the ban covered training between the two. Again, outsider's perspective.

16. VegasMichelle

No worries. You will find that many of the long-time practictioners pre-date current policy. Indeed, you will see many high ranking masters in KS also hold black belts in other arts. Barry Harmon, the Master mentioned by the OP holds rank in Judo, TKD, Karate and Kung Fu.

The whole cross-training issue is really a non-starter. I openly do it. But then again, I pre-date the policy as well.

I think many who have left the WKSA and have burned bridges are trying to say, "hey, you can cross-train with us and so we can show you some groundfighting." But my answer to that is: don't learn groundfighting from a KS school....go find yourself a BJJ school.

17. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

So if I join the KKSA I could go to any WKSA school and train? Vegas I disagree with you. I have never seen a KKSA student at a WKSA tournament. I have never seen a KKSA student in a WKSA school. How ever, I have seen Steve Seo at NON WKSA schools. I have seen Steve Seo train on WKSA students. I have never seen Steve Seo on the Korean WKSA site. In fact it does not even mention the KKSA ( if I am wrong please link the page for us all ). The WKSA is the World Kuk Sool Assoiation owned and operated by Suh In Hyuk. If he owns it why have 2 different rules for Korea and the rest of the world? Again I think it is either that the WKSA is looking differntly at NOn WKSA Styles or again Family trumps rules. I hope it is the first?:evil:

18. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

So you are saying SC%&W the rules? Or are you saying anyone that was in the WKSA before the rule was in place do not have to obey it? Then why have it at all? :evil:

19. VegasMichelle

Wait, you are not aware that the WKSA has had a Korean branch?!?!?! It PRE-DATES the US version. Check your facts.

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/

If you click on English, you are taken to the WKSA branch you know. If you click on Korean, you are taken to the Korean branch. The Korean branch is NOT simply a Korean translation. It details different Masters, rank structure and schools.

20. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I know I wouldn't have been allowed to continue training at my school if I continued judo.

I found something I liked doing more, but this document meant that I couldn't do both. I'd have probably left anyway to focus on my judo but for others who simply want to broaden their horizons then this would impede them if they were worried about being kicked out.