Is there a disabled circut for any MA?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by disabledhero, Sep 29, 2007.

1. disabledhero

disabledhero jab jab elbow jab knee

I have been in many tournaments but have seen few DMA so if you could inform me do so.

keep strong DMAs keep strong.

2. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Congrats on your progression in MA. :D

I myself have done TKD for about 2 years, but unfortunately I had school and work in the way of my training. I haven't been able to practice nor focus on TKD. I forgot most of the Poomses. But I'm fairly well at knowing the techniques and the basics.

But I've got to tell ya that you aren't the only disabled person in here. I'm one of them to. Not physically disabled, but I have a Learning Disablilty. Which is called CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Deficit) which is related to ADD and ADHD but definately not the same.

What CAPD is, is that I have trouble interpreting messages that are spoken. My brain can't process the information that is being said as fast or as efficiently.

I don't perferably like to be as "labelled" as being handicapped. I'm fine working with normal people. Just that I have to explain the general idea of who they are dealing with. People would have to just sometimes adapt to my learning tactics and strategies.

For me to sometimes remember I would write them down or to draw pictures indicating a words, phrases, directions, steps etc.

Just that if I want to start TKD again, I'm wondering at how I would progress with work as my burden? I should maybe look into a soft art at which I don't have to necessarily have to remember as much, but something that is relaxing as that my body is starting to get sore from work and from winter that is coming soon.

Maybe Tai Chi or something.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Disabled all-in wrestling. What a brilliant idea. If nobody's doing it, then what the hell is wrong with America these days?

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

If you're looking for something in which you won't have to remember much, then Tai Chi is NOT your answer. You'd be better to keep on with TKD.

5. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I have a visual learning disability that makes it difficult to remember what I see, particularly if I have to repeat it physically. I have all of the TKD forms on video so I can watch them repeatedly. It usually takes me about 4x longer than the average person to learn a form. The videos help a lot, because I can review much more often, and I can play them in slow motion.

As far as a disabled tournament circuit, I am not sure. I know judo has organizations/tournaments for the disabled.

I also found this online. It sounds pretty interesting:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jul/28/br/br9481360527.html

6. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Tai Chi shouldn't be that hard, I mean you need the balance and the flowing movement in sync with breathing, to relax. Though I would like a little instruction to go into the proper stances. But all I'm looking for is to do the basics and stick with the basics, instead of progressing fast into a higher rank apart from the other Martial Art styles.

I know that I'm good at flowing from one technique to another one without really thinking of it. I do it plenty of times, as well that with Tai Chi there is no competition, no sparring, no tornaments, no risk of getting hurt. Which I don't mind at all.

Yeah pre-recorded videos help a fair bit. For me to do complete a test, exam or just homework from school can take me around 2 times longer to finish maybe even 3 times only depends on what the atmosphere that I'm in.

I'm also glad that there is a MA school that only disabled people can compete.

Only makes it fair. :)

7. disabledhero

I would not want an all all DMA school wheres the fun in that DMAs need to train harder to fight easier against the abled body man/woman

8. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Well, the option is there. You can compete with the abled competitors. It's a matter for those who are having a tough time. Some people would like to not train harder that it might hurt them if they do.

There's lots of ways to have fun. :)

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Well, it is.

Sorry, but there is much, much more to Taiji than flowing movements and gentle breathing.

Get more than a little instruction. If you start trying to perform Taiji and your postures are incorrect, you can cause serious damage to your knees, hips, spine and other joints. Also, without proper guidance you won't even get the benefits that a 5 minute walk would promote.

As I stated above, there is much more to Taiji than flowing from one movement to another.

Generally, there is no competition, however it is possible to enter open competitions using Taiji.
    There is sparring, and also practices known as push-hands,
    And as for no risk of getting hurt - some of the worst injuries I've received have been at the hands of my Taiji instructors. There is plently of risk of getting hurt (if you go to a good school, OR if you try to teach yourself/go to a poor school).

Don't look at Taiji like some light, easy exercise routine. It's tougher than you can imagine.

10. disabledhero

indeed some of the most simple looking move may be the most complex

11. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Then I'll go look into Yoga

12. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

It all depends on what the disability is, and I don't think the OP stated his.

It's not unusual for blind people to do Judo, and they only need modest accommodation to work with sighted people (start with a grip and exclude certain techniques that they "wouldn't see coming.") In class with sighted people, they have to be uke in the demos in order to get the technique, and they may need to be led in the right direction once in a while in throwing practice, but it's no big deal. I wonder if the old joke about Ray Charles' chess skills ('he beat me every time, but then I turned on the light") has inspired anyone to do a mixed sighted/blind groundwork practice in the dark. It would be a walkover for the blind folks.

Needless to say, deaf people would have few problems with most MA, other than that they would need extra visual cues for certain things (like "Matte,") but I have not run into any deaf people myself in MA.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  13. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Like Minded

DH - I feel your frustration. I have yet to find the type of DMA event you're looking for. I have competed successfully against non-disabled opponents. The closest I have come to the type of DMA event I'm looking for was at The Arnold Classic in 2006. I met a MMA fighter by the name of Ron Mann. Ron is also an amputee. He lost his left leg below the knee in a motorcycle accident. He and I were both trying to broaden the scope of DMA competition. Neither of us had had much luck. We decided to fight a full contact exhibition match. We had fun, and hopefully opened a few minds. I know not everyone wants to fight full contact. However, society needs to realize that just because a person has a disability, it doesn't mean they're delicate. MA is a combat sport. IMO it cheapens a disabled person's MA experience to deny them the martial side of their art. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough disabled competitors who want to use their skills in sparring competitions. I have no idea why this is, but it seems to be the reality at present. There is also an apparent reluctance on the part of event organizers to offer DMA sparring due to fear of injury and litigation. I feel that this hyper concern is actually reverse discrimination. If a person with a disability knows the risks of an activity, and signs the same waiver as someone with no disability, it's their butt to risk. This is a big issue for me and I could rant for pages, but I've posted on it before. Until things change, we like minded few will have to continue whooping people without disabilities for our tournament enjoyment. :D

14. disabledhero

I cant belive the descrimination I am a redbelt kyu 3 and strong as my comrades in class.Really dont see the problem the abled people have with us and its always help the "cripple".

yeah we need to whoop those ppl so we can get our own circut

15. lightninrod

lightninrod Valued Member

This is a little off-topic, but I am a below-knee amputee so I'm just curious to know if this MMA guy you're talking about actually competes with a prosthesis on? If so, how do they accomodate it?

16. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Bionic

Yes Ron wears his prosthesis while he fights. It is covered with skin toned rubber. It hurt when he kicked me in the head with it, but no worse than someone with tough shins. Ron's record is 6 and 4 I believe. He's strong, and much quicker and agile than he looks. You can Google him to learn more. If you PM me I'll get you his contact info. He is always willing to help other MAists.

17. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Hmm I agree, but it's only for the sake of liabilites that they are concerned of, as what you said already. Just in case if something happens from out of the blue.

I don't want to knock your guys' prideful ego or anything, this is only my opinion, I don't mind if you disagree with this. But I think it would be more of a settle idea to have a seperate thing for DMA's. But if they have competitions that would allow DMA's to come in and compete then that would be great.

18. disabledhero

hmm agreed shrukin :D :woo: im bruce lee with a limp :woo: lol

19. disabledhero

nvm i could never mesure up to master lee ever

20. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Inclusion

I have never been turned away from an open competition. I have competed at the local, state, and national level. I have had some success, but mostly I lost a lot. I'm not complaining. I love to spar, and I love to compete. I began looking for DMA events because I wanted to compete with those whose abilities were closer to my own. It's hard to land a knee or an elbow when your opponent can just hang you at the end of their kicks. In a real life situation or a full contact match, I can take one or two shots in order to land 5 to 10 of my own. I know this to be true because I've done it and I continue to train for real life. In a light to medium contact match or point sparring, I am at a serious disadvantage. I still do not understand why most disabled martial artists I've met show no interest in sparring. I think this is the primary reason why most events do not go to the trouble of offering sparring at DMA events. Why would the event sponsors want to pay the extra insurance for a division with maybe one or two competitors? I may understand why DMA events don't offer sparring, that doesn't mean I think it's a good thing. As I've said, I think disabled martial artists who do not spar and teachers who do not train their disabled students to spar, are missing out on the best part of MA. This is of course only my opinion. As long as someone is enjoying what they're doing, it's all good. I just feel that at the end of the day MA training is for more than staying in shape and feeling good. You can get that at the gym. I'd rather know how to defend myself and never have to, than be a victim because I never tested my skills on the mat.