Is there a belt specific for BJJ?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by littlebadboy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

Hi all! My daughter was given one stripe today! Yipee!

As per advice from this forum, I bought a Judo gi for her to begin with because it was cheaper. During the promotion, I noticed that her co-trainees had a black spot where the stripes are put on. My daughter's belt, being part of her Judo gi, does not have one. Do I need to buy a BJJ specific belt so it would have that black portion thingy? The stripe is also like a gauze tape or something. Can I laundry the belt without it coming off?

Once again, thank you everyone in advance!

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Don't worry about belts stripes or mountain lions, is the training good? If yes who cares about belts, every day she trains she remembers at least one new thing

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

This isn't a thread debating the value of belt systems or asking about the school quality of training.

Do you want her to go in and not wear the uniform of the school and say "I don't care about belts" when the instructors ask why? :confused:

If his daughter belongs to a school that has belts and stripes, I think it is good that he has enough respect for the school to want to do things properly. In my school, wearing your uniform properly is a way of showing respect for our school, lineage and traditions.

Sorry littlebadboy, my school uses sashes. I don't know the answer to your question. But congrats to your daughter for earning her stripe!.

I am a little surprised she received no instruction on how to actually add the stripe.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think yiu mean the little black tab where the stripes go? Yiu could purchase a child's bjj white belt, which is probably what I would recommend. Then you get some white electrical tape and wrap it around until it looks like a stripe.

Congratulations to your daughter for getting her stripe! You must be very proud :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Buy a kids BJJ belt, and a roll of white electrical tape.
    In the meantime black electrical tape on the Judo belt will be fine.

The kids belt system has loads of extra belts, often the school will simply reuse/recycle other kids belts, often for free, if in doubt, ask the teacher!

6. Dead_pool

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Jesus, someone needs some diazepam

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

All I'm saying is the belt system is rubbish, there's 3 places I could name near me where you can get bb in a year, what does that say for real fighting? Nothing, I wasn't dissing his daughters achievements

9. Dead_pool

Not in BJJ (or judo) you won't.

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

No true, cos there's integrity in those systems, it the karate/ kung Fu mcdojos that wreck things

11. Dead_pool

Exactly, which is why the question about a little girls BJJ belt is completely valid.

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah I'm a bit of a donut at the moment, fully respect good training, as you know it's hard to find

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Which has absolutely nothing to do with OP's question.:rolleyes:

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If the coach or the kid minds the difference then it might be worth looking for a belt with a rank bar. If not, then black electrical tape on a white belt works just as well IMHO.

15. littlebadboy

Thank you everyone!

One of my daughter's training mates who is 7 years old won 4 medals in a recent BJJ tourney. The adults brought home some medals too. So, I would say that our gym is legit. My daughter trains everyday. She insists. I think she deserves the stripe. It's not like she's being a blue belt or something.

Thank you everyone for the tips! Since she has a judo belt, I think I have to use electrical tape. Will I still be able to wash the belt?

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds good!

Yes you can wash the belt again. Worst that happens is it washes off so you just get some more tape :)

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Sorry didn't mean to diss , been a bit of a donut lately, due to beer :)

18. littlebadboy

Everything is good! I do get your point. Belts doesn't matter to me too but I respect the holder because it represents their skills. I have a black belt in something else when I was younger but it was in an art that I don't believe in anymore. Careful with the beer! Don't drink too much!

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Shouldn't drink any :(