Is the one inch punch really useful?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MyFitteLife Ninja, Sep 3, 2022.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

For sure, I just meant that the guy actually does a strike, rather than the push you usually see in JKD demos (including Bruce Lee).

It's like any demo of a concept or mechanic; you have to find yourself in the right conditions to apply it.

Any videos of the Bagua stuff you're talking about would be appreciated. You're talking about using a short strike to distract and set up a more damaging technique?

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Short power is used to shock when they hit you it freezes you for a few seconds allowing for a joint break to happen for example

another example would be in close and use short power with a shoulder strike to knock you backwards allowing you to straighten an otherwise bent joint to break it.

Short power is also used to destroy a joint so for example long power once a joint is straightened is used to throw you or push you into a wall, short power when the joint is straightened is used the destroy the joint before you can move.

I'll try to dig some videos up of it

David Harrison likes this.
  3. David Harrison

I get what you mean, but it would be nice to see what you consider to be a good demonstration of it in Bagua.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In my yout' I had James Demile's book on the 1" punch and according to that that video demo is a 3" punch.
    Finger tips touching is (roughly) 3 inches. Form a fist and your knuckles will have about 3 inches of space before hitting the target.
    Partially bend your finger and move close to touch with the second knuckle and you get the 1 inch punch (1 inch of space or thereabouts).

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Here is a demo of using short power to freeze someone in order to then attack their elbow joint with the same short power
    It's at the 35 second onward mark

only a demo so the set up is what it is but a nice clip,

it's xingyi but the gentleman demoing is also a bagua instructor and the power is used the same way in his bagua but no real clips of that

SWC Sifu Ben and David Harrison like this.
  6. David Harrison

I'm sure he would appreciate a comment on his video! :D

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It can,but don't count on people freezing.I prefer an immediate damage/balance effect.Not that life always works out like that either!
    I've still got that book. Picked it up years after I learned them.

Those were a couple of the earliest things my first teacher taught me.Easy to do.Fun! But not as good as using palm whatever the intent (push or strike).

Training tip: The side of a tall upright piano is a perfect vehicle for practicing on. But...ya may need to have the piano tuned after a while. Might wanna check the joints and fittings while you're at it.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

My neighbour's (and Kung Fu instructor's) garage wall formed part of the wall in my parent's garden.

When I lived there I had a makiwara on the wall and used to practice my one and three inch punches.

One day he came round and asked my to stop as I was shaking all of his paint tins from the shelves inside the garage.

My brother and I also used to hang roof tiles from the washing line. You really had to get a snap in your punch otherwise they'd just swing on impact.

I bet they were glad when I moved out.

SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Every time Mrs Xue is home and I go down and hit the heavy bag, she yells down stairs and tells me to stop because, apparently, I'm going to break the house :D

axelb and Simon like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I was reading, recently, (Wing Chun Foundations, Siu Lim Tao by Jason Korol) that the 1 inch punch is basically a very hard push.

11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Depends how you use it. You can use the same mechanics in a strike as you do in po-pai jeung as a push. Just the same way I could push you with the end of a stick, or jab you with the end of a stick.

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Whether it's a push or punch doesn't matter a whole lot, inside a ring. Impact is impact. Both work.