Is the devil really a bad guy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TwirlinMerlin, Oct 20, 2016.

1. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

So, we have this fallen angel "Lucifer" who God kicked out of heaven for defying him. Sentenced him to manage one of God's creations named "hell". Where people are to be sent for punishment if they exercise one of God's creations called "freewill" in a way that does not honor God.
    In your opinion is this Lucifer guy really a bad dude or is he just a pawn performing the job he was given?

2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Why are you asking if someone is a bad guy, that you don't even believe is real. I suppose he is a bad guy, after all he wants you to go to hell. Anyone that goes around and tries to lead people to hell, to burn forever I think would be a bad guy.

3. 8limbs38112

I'm going to completely avoid future posts in this thread from now on, because I will most likely get wrapped up into a debate, and then I will never ever get to the other thread with all the questions from various people on it.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do you lot even do martial arts?

5. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

In the old testament, is it not jehova that makes all the threats and demands?

And in the new testament, I'm pretty sure our devil character is nothing more than someone who likes to encourage people to question and scrutinise their own beliefs.

6. 8limbs38112

I tried to do some martial arts, but I learned the lesson that some of them were too intense for me, so I tried Dog Bros. It was perfect. Unfortunately it added unneeded stress, because of the days it was scheduled on and I am a student so I quit.

So I found a pekiti tirsia class to replace it that fit into my schedule well, did it for a couple days and I liked it but I had to take a break because I developed back problems from a move I made recently.

While on that break I did a google search, and there seemed to be a kempo school that was really an offshoot from kajukembo. Kajukenbo and kempo are some of the top arts that I desired to train in based on my research, so this really intrigued me so I visited the class and watched. I did not participate though. The class seems really good, so after my back is done healing from the move I made, I will either go back to the Pekiti Tirsia class I was attending, or I will start fresh in the Kajukembo class.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The issue with hell, and the devil, is that we've only got gods word that he and its a bad place, really I think the devils being the bigger man and gods just a whinner going round and bad mouthing the devil.

ps they don't really exist

pps hail satan! ;)

8. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

The last couple of religious threads were fascinating and got me thinking about this. I enjoyed discussing religion with you guys. Just wondering what my fellow Mappers thought about this.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It really just depends on which one, god or satan, stores the most Crisco

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Satan (Ha-Satan/The-Satan) translates to the accuser/the adversary and can refer to just about anyone that leads people astray or tempts people to do wrong.

The devil (the concept of dualism) as its own entity doesn't really have a presence in the bible until Zoroastrianism and Judaism started mingling together (around about 600 - 500 BCE)

The passage in Isaiah about the fallen star Lucifer is more or less referring to King Nebuchadnezzar II, not the devil.

11. 8limbs38112

Dualism in the bible and dualism in Zoroastrianism aren't exactly the same if I'm not mistaken. In Zoroasrtianism isn't it true that they believed God was both Good and evil natured. Meaning that God was both Good and evil? I may be wrong, it's been a long time since I learned about Zoroastrianism. In the bible the devil is a separate being from God. And maybe your right about that King Nebuchadnezzar stuff I dunno.

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yes there is dualism in Zoroastrianism.

The two being Cosmic dualism and Moral dualism, similar to modern day Christianity.

If you look at the nature and teachings about Satan in the New Testament and works that came after you will see there are some similarities -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/zoroastrian/beliefs/dualism.shtml

This is not discredit Christianity, but rather to show and understand where Christianity adopted some of its concepts from.

13. BigMotor

BigMotor New Member

Yes, the Devil is a really bad guy, and thinking that he is not, will invariably lead you astray. Any person should be grave, and reflective when considering him; because he is that way when he considers a person. He ain't messing around, and he is full of harm, to everything on Earth.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. BigMotor

BigMotor New Member

Christ taught about the Devil to his disciples, and He was tempted by the Devil. It was a face-to-face meeting, and was recounted by Christ to His disciples; otherwise there is no way that they could have known that it occurred. So that is why it is in the Bible. There is a reason that Zoroastrianism died out, and Christianity prospered, and became the greatest of world religions.
    Christianity has dealt with "adoptions" from other faiths very severely, and it is impossible that anything was adopted from paganism, including Zoroastrianism.:evil:

(If that sounds like sounds preachy, and like an admonishment, it isn't. That is just how I see the issue.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  15. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Ignoring the arguments about a deity's existence or lack thereof, and fact that the Christian version of the devil is yet a further incorporation of local mythologies, you have two distinct possibilities here within the logical framework of the religion:

1. Your deity is omnipotent and omniscient. That makes the ultimate evil in the universe his intended creation and, like everything else in the universe, an extension of his being. Therefore your deity is not only the shiny deity on the hill but a dualistic representation of both ultimate good and ultimate evil.

2. Your deity is not all powerful because evil is outside of his control.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Dunno about Satan, the Devil, Lucifer etc but I sincerely hope Hell exists and I hope I'm going, think of all the great music! Can't wait to see Robert Johnson live...and no wacky Christians there ruining everyone's fun.

Welcome to Hell!

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Apart from the obvious, so off hand, Easter, Christmas, Halloween, the saints, the virgin Mum, the virgin birth, Having a god as a dad, death by cruxifiction and being reborn.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Obviously if you don't believe in religion then it's a moot point but the devil, Satan or whatever you want to call him, is the epitome of evil if you are a religious person. He will try to tempt you, make you question your beliefs, try to lead you away from God.

19. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Nah, he's alright. Just give him a chance *laughs maniacally*

Signed, not the devil.

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter