Is Tae Kwon Do actually "useless" against other styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fluidz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Indeed, if you look at how it used to be done (much more subtle, much more full body engagement)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZjPcGeoj8"]Dan-Gun, Do-San, Won-Hyo and Yul-Gok - YouTube[/ame]
    Much more clearly a form of ging expression (also looks more like Karate)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

That i agree with.

Although only to a degree in terms of what we view as internal power generation.
    Internal power generation is,to my knowledge ,amongst other things about tension and understanding of how you will use your body in terms of leverage,angles,weight,minset ,etc from the position you are in at a particular moment. Or A personal understanding of ones self in terms of tension, balance, angles leverage,weight,mindset etc and how to use all that to generate max power from the position you are in at any given moment.

3. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Double post

4. The Macdaddy76

The Macdaddy76 New Member

The old ways are usually the best! the modern silly approach to everything incase it might hurt or offend someone is turning the western world into a bunch of idiots who will ultimately end up being losers.. i was taught to swim by jumping into the deep end with the promise of a long pole to grab onto which was quickly withdrawn :woo: and guess what it really worked :topic:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Please remember that MAP is a family friendly forum. We don't allow swearing or swearing masked with asterisks in posts :)

Mitch

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Just because soomething is old, does not lend it to be better/best

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Sorry it took me a while. It is on this DVD:
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/General-Choi-Hong-Founder-Korean/dp/B0007U1YE4/ref=cm_cr-mr-title"]Amazon.com: General Choi Hong Hi, Founder of Korean Art of Tae Kwon Do -D: General Choi Hong Hi, Bob Wall: Movies & TV[/ame]

8. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

LOL.. I actually have that Thomas... you should of said.. I thought you were refering to a YouTube clip!!

I havnt watched it for years.. may have to dig it out tomorrow!

cheers,

Stuart

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Sorry - that's the problem with floating around forums, buying dvds, looking at Youtube, etc.... sometimes I can't remember where I saw something!

10. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

For what its worth, Anderson Silva has a black belt in TKD but i don't recall seeing him use it in the ring. He uses his Muay Thai combined with boxing for the stand up. However Benson Henderson does use TKD in his stand up so its really a matter of what works for you as an individual.

11. Jepha

Jepha New Member

The best way to really defend yourself is to expand your knowledge to all sides. Learn multiple styles to ensure the best of all bases. I train primarily in TKD but also Judo, Jiujitsu, Filipino/Indonesian, and Okinawan Kobudo. Please note: I'm a master of none of these styles. I just appreciate the thought and skill put into all of them. This is why MMA is really the greatest fighting showcase there is. Knowledge is power. Just my humble opinion.