Is Tae Kwon Do actually "useless" against other styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fluidz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Fluidz

Fluidz New Member

Hey guys,

I know this is also down to the skill of the person who is performing the art but I constantly read (on the internet) that Taekwondo is useless against another style such as Karate, Kung Fu, Jujutsu, Krav Maga etc.. etc....

I am thinking of learning Taekwondo or Kung Fu and I am not asking this with the premise of "who can I beat up", nothing like that AT ALL.

But how much of this is true? Is the style actually "useless" outside of tournaments, in a real world situation.

I am basically looking for the best art, of the two, for real world application and discipline. I have no preference on kicking, aggressiveness or hand strikes.

I am leaning towards Taekwondo however.

2. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

My personal opinion (take it as such) is that no style is useless, but some are more efficient in teaching you how to fight than others, and there are degrees of effectiveness.

After three years of Taekwondo you might expect to have the upper hand in a fight against an average Joe, if anything because of the physical conditioning. However, it is safe to say that three years of training spent in other disciplines would've made you a much better fighter.

Does it mean Taekwondo or Kung Fu are bad? Not really. It depends on your priorities. Both will keep you fit, and as long as you have your feet on the ground and don't have an idealized / unrealistic image of what a fight is, you'll be better off than if you had not trained at all.

But if you really want to learn how to defend yourself fast and efficiently... Take BJJ, boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, Sanda... The usual suspects. Personal recommendation based on what you seem to like: Sanda.

I insist: My opinion.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

From the perspective of a karateka I can tell you kicking is very powerful. It's tough to be aggressive against a good kicker. Taekeondo guys kick better than any other style I know of. So I'd say its very useful.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No it isn't. You can be as aggressive as you like against whoever you like.

TKD guys have some excellent kicks, but so do Thai Boxers. When I did Kung Fu I would have put my kicks up against anyone elses.

There are karate guys who would also like to have their say I'm sure.

To the OP I would say, "go and check the classes out for yourself".

Forget "real world", just train hard and enjoy. I'm not sure what some of you guys think the real world is really like, but it seems a much more violent world than the one I know.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on what you mean by better though. I think that "better" should imply combat effectiveness, rather than flash and/or power, so I would say Muay Thai. xD

6. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Valued Member

If your going to believe everything you read on the Internet, then you'll find that "muay thai is the greatest martial art and everything is useless against it" except Ameridote, ofcourse.

7. Grass hopper

Well, of course the skill of the fighter depends far more in the individual than the style, but my post was to highlight how much they focus on kicks, and how much it seems to pay off.

And you cagey aggressive against whoever you like of course, but in my experience I can usually keep my distance and continually kick an overly aggressive opponent. Not that it's impossible to attack a kicker, my most even and frequent sparring partner is primarily a kicker, and I do fine.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In general terms a grappler will beat a puncher who will beat a kicker

Kicking is a "support system" and it is very hard to maintain kicking distance in reality. Not to say kicking does not have its place, it does. But it is the skill that offers the worst trade off in terms of risk/reward

9. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

It would be awesome if a kicker did beat a grappler, then the circle would close in a perfect game of rock-paper-scissors.

Unfortunately (or not?) a grappler beats a kicker twofold.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Lizard->Spock!

11. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Your odds of having to fight another trained martial artist in the real world are incredibly small, people who put in the time, effort and discipline to train any martial art don't generally go around getting into fights.

In addition to it being up to the individual, how you train is as important, if not more so, than what you train. If you train TKD for real world self defense you'll be far better off than if you train TKD without any attention to real world applications, no contact point sparing and poorly performed patterns.

12. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

If you find a training facility that trains you to use your strongest weapons against others in full contact situations often, you will be successful against others, styles aside.

A lot of muay thai gyms train this way, which gives them a strong and credible reputation. Finding a taekwondo gym that trains this way is more difficult.

Do they spar with heavy contact and compete against others of a high class? Is there conditioning top notch? Those are things that are just as important.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Part of this really depends on what parameters are you setting? If you are talking 'style vs style', what kind of comparison are you using? I would choose Taekwondo if I was going to compete in Taekwondo tournaments. I would not choose Taekwondo if I was going to compete in grappling tournaments.

Taekwondo can be a very good style - its practitioners generally have good footwork, conditioning, speed, and KICKS. Many have good hands and some decent self defense skills too (not all). One of the best things about it is that you can try out your skills under a very clear rule set with FULL contact (limited targets) against other practitioners.

As far as this goes, I think you might wish to look at any local "Reality-based Self Defense (RBSD)" you have nearby first.

Otherwise, take a look at the local schools, contact them and see if they'll let you try a few lessons, talk to the instructor and tell him/her what you are looking for, and consider the free lessons and stated goals in comparison with what you are looking for and join from there.

What's in your area?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. Grass hopper

Bottom line is if you wanna do TKD just go for it, it will serve you well if you train hard. Just like any martial art would.

15. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Don't train an art because you want to use it. Train an art because you want to train it.

16. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

TKD is great exercise. I don't know how effective it would be in a streetfight. One thing i don't like about TKD is those high kicks they emphasize. try that against an opponent with fast hands and your leg gets caught, you're in a bad position.
    If you want my opinion, id recomend Wing Chun which stesses low kicks, straight punches and blocking and traping techniques before id recomend TKD. Id also recomend Judo or Aikido before id recomend TKD.
    Thats my two cents. Theres probably some here who think i'm an idiot and im all wrong.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

TKD is a perfectly valid martial art, just like any other.

You're right, you don't.

Try and and kick someone in the head and it's game over.
    Where is Van Zandt when you need him?

You may have well have listed Karate, Kung Fu, Silat, Tai Chi, Eskrima and a handful of other arts.

You were really just picking out names. What is your experience of these arts?

18. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

What is my experience of these arts? As i posted before Cuong Nhu combines elements of Shotokan Karate, Judo, Vovinam,Aikido,Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan and boxing. I am a CN shodan. I'm starting training in BJJ but i'm a beginer in that art.

19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'm not a fan of high kicks in a self defence context ,but , show me someone who can deliver head height kicks with power and accuracy and I'll show you someone who will absolutely destroy you at body/leg level.
    Like any martial art TKD can be a great martial art when trained hard and sincerely , go look at a class and see if you like what you see.

20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

What elements ?