is stack passing only for beginners?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Oct 14, 2014.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

i've just been trying to fine tune my game, and in doing so I've been really working on pressure passing. I consider myself more of a passer rather than guard player.

In rolling, I try to cycle through about 3 go to passes that seem to flow well. Knee drive then to pushing the knees down and passing with the knees clamped together if they use the knee shield to counter, and finally a stack pass should they recover all together.

the stack has been one I've been having a lot of issues with lately. ( though all 3 need work) it feels like it only seems to work on lower level guys as blues and above almost immediately shoulder walk away or keep legs down.

is the stack pass a move that realistically high percentage against higher level opponent and if so, any links as to how I can modify it to hit on those who are higher up?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Same problem for me. Used to love that pass but as you say it seems to need modifying past white belt. I do know a purple who uses it well and the only difference I can think of is his timing is very good. He lifts/drags your hips up so you're essentially resting on your neck and makes it harder to shoulder walk. I think at that point there's too much risk of them using it to roll back but he's good enough at scrambling to take the back that he can deal with it.

Although overall I think the reality is that past white passing on your knees is a tough battle to win. Everyone I know at high level white and above almost exclusively pass standing unless they're passing off of a failed sweep/sub.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's a basic pass, which means it should work at every level. Try a different entry, different grips etc.

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So what your saying is people better then you, are better then you?

Seriously though, mix up around passes with the through pressure passes, when they walk away and gi e you space, use that space to around pass.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think it's a great pass. and like so many things we learn, is applicable at all levels. i've watched high-level competition and seen that pass used.

7. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

It's easy to give up on fundamental techniques because they seem to 'stop working' at higher levels, when it normally just means you need to spend more time on that technique and/or your training partner is better at defending than you are at attacking (or vice versa).

The ideal for me is somebody like Roger Gracie. He has refined his basic cross choke from mount to such a degree that nobody can stop it, even though everybody knows what's coming.

Now, I'm 99.99% confident that nobody who will ever read this thread will manage to get to anything like Roger's level. However, I think the principle is sound: aim to get so good at a small set of techniques that you know all your opponent's potential escape routes and reactions, meaning you can counter them and finish your technique regardless of what they do.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

roger is my personal inspiration because of this.

my main technique is the basic cross choke from both the closed guard and the mount. it's the first thing i always go for. and like you mention, if someone blocks it, i move on to the next thing--the move really sets up my whole game from the guard.

9. FusionMMA

FusionMMA New Member

The Stack Pass will always work. You'll often find in my opinion that whatever club you're at, certain techniques will not work while others do....but this changes. If you are always passing the same way, everyone gets used to it and better at defending. Then you have to change up your pass with a different set-up or counter to their counter....or you just switch to working on a new pass. People get used to it and it starts all over again. It's how individuals and the gym get better as a whole. It's a basic passed used all the time in competitions at every level.

10. FusionMMA

FusionMMA New Member

Just as another example, I am very good at wrist locks. My students would get wrist locked all the time and I would just crush them with it, even the better guys. I kept attacking with it though to get myself better at it but also so they would learn to defend it. Now they have and it is much harder to get because they have the experience and they expect it. So I stopped for about one week and went for some crazy, No-Gi Ezekiel while trapped under Side-Mount. They forgot about the wrist lock and then I started that back up again lol. Always change and get better!

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Anything works on anyone as long as you are better at executing it than they are at defending it.