Is Sogobujutsu real/legitimate?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Feb 10, 2014.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

So a picture popped up in my news feed today of an art known as sogobujutsu.
    It depicted 3 men apparently being thrown at the wrist over someones back. Something i found highly questionable.

After a quick google search I was brought to a youtube link of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fBxeHsqTuI"]Sogobujutsu Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

and my faith was not restored in the slightest. I also found this article about it which to me seems seems to possibly have some historical inaccuracies.
    http://www.seishinkan.com/visuals/pdf/BattlegroundSogoArticle01.pdf

The creator also seems to hate martial "arts" in favor of martial "science".

Anyone else have any more knowledge of sogobujutsu other than this? Its claims are to be centuries old, yet out of at least 12 years of martial arts research I'm just now hearing about it.

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

That video proves them to be both real and legitimate. Clearly it is possible, with the correct training, to throw three people over your back.

It helps that they are ok with that of course.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I think these guys are an X-Kan off shoot with a bit of Aiki mixed in?

Or is that a different "Sogobujutsu"?

Edit: Yep it looks like Mr Falcaro an indie ninjutsu guy, Bujingodai on MAP knows him, no they don't appear to be "legit".

IIRC one of his teachers recently made a big post online about how he wasn't what he claimed, unless I'm getting my people mixed up so double check that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. Dean Winchester

First question you ask, what ryu?

Calling you art Sogobujutsu is a bit like calling it Kenjutsu, it's rather vague.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Le High Valley Warriors is about correct. Looks entertaining...

if i were high that is.

6. Dean Winchester

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

So after "12 years of martial arts research" you had never come across the term sogobujutsu? Or just this guy and his club?

That name Falcaro has come up on MAP before...I don't believe it was in a good way.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

The site also mentions a J. Viol who was given MK in 1991. Strangely absent is the name of the ryu-ha he was given the MK from.

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Some very "interesting" stuff in this video. Perhaps the most worrying thing is that his students - who are presumably paying him for martial arts training - are prepared to sit there in front of him while he talks for over an hour.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WUq51z3KM"]Training to Die- explination to martial artists training backwards - YouTube[/ame]

Naturally I haven't been able to watch the whole thing because it's too long, but a lot of what I saw (especially his anecdote about training in an MMA gym) seemed very questionable.

10. Dean Winchester

And that is what I hate about all pseudo TMA.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

You don't get it, do you! Those people are insomniacs! They aren't paying him for lessons! They are paying him so that they can fall asleep! :D

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

FWAT, cliff notes?

13. Christianson

Christianson Valued Member

While not in any way trying to legitimise the group to which you are referring, a preference for "martial sciences" instead of "martial arts" shouldn't be construed as a warning sign. It's not commonplace, but (for example) it is the translation of "budo" preferred by Kashima-Shinryu.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Looks like every other Ninjutsu video I've ever seen. Nothing special in that regard.

15. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Niji gekkan ryu, pssssst it's a secrete!!!

16. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

Its a BS school. And David is kind of a fraud/ wannabe online martial arts celebrity along the lines of Christa Jacobs and Greg Park etc. But not as smart as Antony Cummins. They are not X-Kan off-shoot.

David hates Xkan and trash talks other arts and people who don't kiss his butt. But will make videos and play the victim role when he is criticized. I saw one video where he not so subtly made sly remarks about Don Roley. I guess he was butt-hurt about something. If I remember correctly. David did Genbukan

But switched over to Aikijujutsu. He wanted to be instant Master. Part of why his Aiki teacher wrote a public letter distancing himself. The red flags will be raised when you see that he awarded himself the title "Soke" in addition to the whacked out techniques demonstrated.

17. Btthompson

Btthompson New Member

to answer if its legit try going to http://msione.org
    there you can also find access to Viol Shihan and im sure he would be more than happy to answer any of your questions

18. Dean Winchester

Well this is interesting.

"Authentic close quarters combat method of the Samurai with equal emphasis on weaponry, striking, and grappling."

Especially considering there's no mention of what ryu-ha it is supposed to be connected to.

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I did

and got a corporate load of "stuff"

Thanks for that

20. Btthompson

Btthompson New Member