Is Pastafarianism a real religion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yes, I believe consciousness is largely a mechanism for retrospective excuse making. For some reason, giving ourselves a consistent, linear narrative is of huge comfort to us.

This process of linear narrative (i.e.. memory) is also why it is so difficult for us to accept that time does not work in a linear fashion.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm going to laugh at you jokers when, in two thousand years, people are committing genocides based on how well done noodly appendages should be.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Like Cloister the Stupid and the colored amusing hats for his donut diner you mean?

5. philosoraptor

Exactly, or any of the cargo cults that are awaiting John Frumm.

6. Hannibal

Second coming of the great Prophet Zarquon

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What about people fighting over which noodle god is the right version? I can see Ramen and his chop sticks of enlightenment gaining a lot of popularity.

8. Dead_pool

9. Dead_pool

10. philosoraptor

One would think that Italy would be the first to endorse his noodle-y appendage.

11. Dead_pool

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

True Story! I swear. On another MA forum, a few years ago, a guy started out of the blue arguing about forks being more efficient than chopsticks. Tried to cite physics and all. :p

Got all mad when the rest of us laughed at the whole thing and it became a running joke on that forum.

I know you are joking, but some people WILL argue about anything just for the sake of ego and arguing. They really will. So is it any surprise they argue about whose God is better?

13. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

The starch wars of 4317: al-dente sect vs extra-floppy sect.
    The second starch wars of 4372: Tomato sauce sect vs Cream sauce sect.

(If both of those actually happen, I insist that (a) they be named as laid out above, and (b) that I be recognized as "The starchiest prophet of the 21st century".)

14. Hannibal

I an not convinced by the evidence for the FSM, but I am open to the idea.....

I guess you could say I am an Agnocchistic

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What a sad day -- Pastafarianism is not a protected religion in Nebraska prisons. :( :cry:

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate:
    We cannot tolerate this, especially in an election year. I demand that RLUIPA be amended to allow prisoners to dress as pirates!!!

http://journalstar.com/news/local/9...cle_88202368-0930-5335-8921-6542e8d4bb04.html

The case is Cavanaugh v. Bartelt, 14-CV-3183 (D. Neb. April 12, 2016), 2016 WL 1446447. It's a great read. :)

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Forkchops?

[​IMG]

17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Come to us in our darkness. We offer you these false gods. Take them and cast your oven light upon us. For the fridge is dark and full of left overs.

18. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

From what I know it's a cult

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What's a cult?

20. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

Cult is a controversial term that has divergent definitions in popular culture and in academia and has been an ongoing source of contention among scholars across several fields of study

Wikipedia