Is one session a week enough?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I'm just trying out martial arts for the first time and I wonder if a couple of hours a week is going to be enough to get anywhere?
    I'm also thinking about time and money as well if I need to do more sessions. I want to take it seriously but steadily. Is 1 session a week enoug to progress steadily?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's a damned sight better than no sessions per week.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

It depends on how intense the session is, how long the session is and what you want ultimately from studying your art.

So, a few questions:

1) What are you beginning to study?

2) How long are the sessions?

3) What do you hope to achieve from studying? (general fitness, competition, self defence etc)

4. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Jujitsu. I'm hoping for better self-defence knowledge as well as some confidence. It seems a complicated art which would be hard to practise apart from mentally in my own time e.g as Tai Chi could be.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

2 hours is better than one hour, but worse than 3.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Ok, well one session a week is most likely fine while you get in to it. It will let you ease in to the way of doing things. However, you're going to have to practice what you learn outside class. I don't mean finding people/animals to throw, obviously, but try to spend some time going through the movements both physically and in your head. If you have room and it's safe etc, maybe try breakfalling and all that once you've learnt it well enough.

Once you settle in to it a bit more you'll be in a better decision to decide whether or not you need more sessions.

7. Amber

Amber Valued Member

If you cannot afford the time or money to go to more than one jujutsu class a week, you should still have plenty of material to practice at home.

I've only done a very small amount of jujutsu but I've found I had quite alot I was able to practice at home, and I do it quite regularly. It may not seem like it, but it is very easy to go home and practice the techniques against an "invisible" opponent. I only know a few jujutsu-style locks, but my home practice has made me quite adept at them.

It's not as good as doing two or three classes a week, but regular training at home will hone your abilities quite well.

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

These days I'm coming across more and more clubs that only train once per week. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Can't say I've noticed that Timmy Boy. Could just be a local trend where you are?

As some people have said Andrew2011. 2 hours a week is better than none. The more you practice the faster you should progress.

10. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Is breakfalling safe without a mat?

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Breakfalling is safe without a mat. Learning to breakfall without a mat however, not so much.

12. Amber

Amber Valued Member

Learning to breakfall on your bed is fine, though.

13. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I'm thinking rolls could be a lot harder outside of the dojo?

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And you would be correct. I suggest getting to class 10-15 minutes before the start and taking that oppertunity to roll on the mats.

There are plenty of other things to practice safely outside of class.

15. Al Peasland

Al Peasland Valued Member

Hi Andrew,

I can only re-iterrate what has already been said by the previous answers.
    2 hours per week is a good place to start.
    Hell, I know martial arts instructors who train less than that themselves!!!! (not that this is a good recommendation you understand! :) )
    But take it slow and see if you like it, see if the art fits you and then progress from there.

No matter what your art, there is always something you can train at home to get a headstart, even if it's just general cross training for fitness, or stretching in front of the tv to increase your flexibility.
    If you don't want to risk learning to breakfall at home or don't have the right kit to make it safe, you can always drill your throwing footwork. Tie a belt or rope around something sturdy and use that as a partner to pull against and practice your footwork.
    Get yourself a punchbag, lay it on the ground and practice your transitions from one position to another - using the bag as a dummy partner!

Shadow boxing, skipping, etc etc

Whatever the art - you can work on something, even if, as you said, it's just re-running through what has been taught in the previous lesson, in your head to help it to sink in.

Good luck with it and, if you aren't enjoying that art, don't give up, there may be something else out there that fits you better.

Al

16. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

As others said it, it's better than none. At least in the beginning, it might be OK, since you're getting your feet wet. I would try to train at least 2 times, but you'll be able to see how much you like it and if you can make some more room in your weekly schedule for more classes. I also started from 1 class, then 2 and then got to 5.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I've done a few rolls on concrete and wooden floors with no protection. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not used to rolling. A nice soft flat grassy area would be better. Watch out for random stones and dog poop.

18. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Thanks for that. I'm also trying writing down things after class then going through them in my head.

19. Robert Journey

Robert Journey Valued Member

Just want to repeat Al's advice there, as it's the best piece of advice you are going to hear in any post, in any topic, on this forum - Don't Give Up!

Really don't give up - there's a long road ahead if you want to really experience the life changing benefits of a martial art and it's like climbing a mountain - the view just keeps getting better and better as you head up.

I wish I had time to say more, but really, my wish is for you to keep going and see for yourself how fantastic this journey can be.

All the best

Robbie

20. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I used to do that, and look at me now, a lofty 9th kyu! lol I did it for a few weeks but then stopped because trying to remember what we did that class took me out of the moment. I prefer now to just enjoy the class and if we did kata, I try to do it a couple of times, if only in my head, as soon as I get home to help remember it. It's helpful to talk to my friend who I train with about the class on the way home as well. I think it is a good idea when you start out, though, help you get things solidly in your mind. just gotta be careful and not let trying to remember things too much get in the way of learning things and enjoying yourself :)