Is my style dead?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ieuo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

[​IMG]

:)

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hi Iueo,

I'm going to be blunt. I recommend that you don't bother with any more videos as you are not showing any actual understanding of the basic underlying principles that would need to be present in any genuine system. For example, we have not asked to see "power", we have asked why there was no evidence of a power source in the movements you displayed. As I said, if this was a genuine system there should be no way you can do any kind of demonstration without it being evident to someone watching (it's not something that you can demonstrate the system without, really, as that would be like demonstrating a dance without having any concepts of rhythm present. Even in a single dance movement, there is rhythm, same with martial arts).

To show what I mean, here is a demo of basic elements from an Escrima system, Doce Pares. The demos are slow, with little power, but at all times there is a structure to the movement (physically), and a power source is evident. If you can't see that, then you have recieved no education in martial arts at all so far:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStccsSJxvM&feature=related"]YouTube - Tom Sipin - Doce Pares Eskrima[/ame]

Right now you are coming across as someone who has a bunch of words (that honestly don't really make a lot of sense as soon as a bit of reality is applied to it) which you think makes an actual martial art system. It doesn't. It is missing everything that should come before it.

To be honest, if it isn't obvious to you by now that your system doesn't really exist outside of the experiences you have had, I don't what else to tell you. It has an incongruent name, an incongruent history, a total absence of anyone even hearing of it, it is missing all the key aspects of a genuine system, and the concepts you posted above simply don't gel. I'm sorry, but your art isn't dead. It was never alive in the first place. I hope you manage to move on and find some real training if you wish to really understand these arts.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Why do I get the feeling y'all are gettin trolled.

5. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

if we are then it's a very good troll and not as stupid as usual. I want to support the increase in trolling quality.

But I don't think we are.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

i HOPE we are for the sake of the OP

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

ieuo,
    In your "impromtu" vid at about 3:30 or so, your movement in that particular tech is somewhat similar to that of B.Frantzis, (in a vid on stepping that he has removed unfortunately from you-tube) also:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYVlGJEXa_Q"]YouTube - Bagua Martial Arts Applications: Taoist Lineage Holder Bruce Frantzis[/ame]

here he is talking about similar interests that you have in relation to contracting/expanding forces etc
    Have you considered continuing your training with his group?
    I think you would meld well with his aproach to Bagua.
    The reason i say that is, you have a passion for what you have there, and i would hazard a guess to say that you would love to teach some day.

To do that you will need paper on the wall in a recognised system. Have you considered options like this?

cheers
    Griffin

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

so OP disappear, either a troll or is butthurt

9. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Or incredibly ill :)

I will be more active the next few days. for now a brief update:

It seems we are looking for a compatable system to earn as opposed to looking for this system in question. I have no problem with this and look forward to learning a new system.

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

if not a troll then i'm happy you have thick skin.

many people ragequit way too soon the moment people start to disagree.

11. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Giving up just prevents us from reaching the truth :)

With all said and done though I believe in the system I was taught, however I appear to be at a dead end at learning anything directly related to it. Learning a new or similair art is not a bad idea when faced with such a situation.

I am working on one last series of video to hopefully find a new art. I am interested in the styles presented so far but am trying to find some more "street applicable" demonstrations concerning them.

Griffin

I was in fact training to be an instructor in Wing Tsun until I had a falling out with my sifu over some "kobra kai" methods he was pursuing.

12. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Vids, The response here has been pretty good mate believe it or not, more vids would be good to see.

Street applicable, mate that always comes down to the practitioner not the style. Can everyone Box just cause they attend boxing lessons? Hell no, it is very clear in that environment its the practitioner not the style.
    The most important factor in any style is strong basics, then the ball is rolling to work with any system.

Quality training mate, thats the important factor and the sign above the door rarely gaurantees that, the Instructor you get does, again its the practitioner not the style.

Hows it going mate, you find anything local that you like? You dont have to give up on your style you have, you can find something to meld with it, bring it to fruition.

:cool: